Are Android Tablets Done For?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Speaking as someone who literally has owned all 3 major platform devices Android has generally struggled when it comes to tablets, with most manufacturers not making them anymore or make very few of them at all. And it is understandable, most people who wanted a tablet, have one by now or if they do buy one it is an iPad or an Amazon Fire tablet for the most part. But a part of me is thinking is there no way Android tablets could make a resurgence?

I come to you today basically devoid of Android devices, but those who know of me know I have been here for a while, and I recently moved to a 6s plus and a iPad mini 2 with iMac. I still recognize and keep up with Android but I do miss the good parts of Android but those good parts of Android namely freedom in device choice and customization, are found on so few consumer tablets that, one has to think, going forward will Android tablets disappear entirely or will Android make a resurgence in another form factor outside of tablets and smartphones?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Convertible Chromebooks.

With the enhancements to allow CBs to access the Play Store and run Android applications... I think that's a significant nail in the coffin for Android tablets. I think we'll start to see more Surface-like ChromeOS devices with removable keyboards. Pop the keyboard off, it converts to a more mobile friendly interface and then switch to the more traditional KB&M type desktop UX when you pop it back on.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Google are still cranking them out, not sure any other OEM's ever mattered except NVIDIA who seems to be taking a breather this year. My most recent tablet is the Pixel C, which is by far the best tablet experience I've ever seen. I've never been interested in the super low end tablets from Acer, Lenovo and all the noname OEMs, but Google hasn't missed a year yet without putting out a new tablet (this very well could be the first) and Samsung is still doing several a year.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Convertible Chromebooks.

With the enhancements to allow CBs to access the Play Store and run Android applications... I think that's a significant nail in the coffin for Android tablets. I think we'll start to see more Surface-like ChromeOS devices with removable keyboards. Pop the keyboard off, it converts to a more mobile friendly interface and then switch to the more traditional KB&M type desktop UX when you pop it back on.

You know what I completely blanked on the Chromebooks, they have definitely become more popular in recent years where I see a few of them here and there on campus at my college. Maybe Googles new "Fuchsia" OS will be the cross between Android tablets and Chrome OS?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Google are still cranking them out, not sure any other OEM's ever mattered except NVIDIA who seems to be taking a breather this year. My most recent tablet is the Pixel C, which is by far the best tablet experience I've ever seen. I've never been interested in the super low end tablets from Acer, Lenovo and all the noname OEMs, but Google hasn't missed a year yet without putting out a new tablet (this very well could be the first) and Samsung is still doing several a year.

That is just it though, Google and Samsung, and those super crappy low end tabs by no name OEMs at Walmart makes about all the consumer facing tablets consumers can buy with Googles Android. I also am alluding to the fact tablets have not been marketed by Google or Samsung much lately for a while now, they mainly have been focusing on mobile phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd also rather have a dock for my phone that would change it's form factor to a tablet or a laptop. :)

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I honestly never understood the appeal for iPads and tablets. I just prefer the laptop / Chromebook ergonomics and form factor. If I want a hand held flat device for viewing, I just use my cell phone. LOVE how touch screens have made their way to laptops and chromebooks. Thats a really cool feature of my HP running windows10 that I wish my 2015 Macbook Pro had. I have never owned a convertible laptop or chromebook, but I am pretty sure I would prefer that over an ipad or tablet.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I honestly never understood the appeal for iPads and tablets. I just prefer the laptop / Chromebook ergonomics and form factor. If I want a hand held flat device for viewing, I just use my cell phone. LOVE how touch screens have made their way to laptops and chromebooks. Thats a really cool feature of my HP running windows10 that I wish my 2015 Macbook Pro had. I have never owned a convertible laptop or chromebook, but I am pretty sure I would prefer that over an ipad or tablet.

I felt the same way until I realized how portable an iPad is and actually has been quite useful for school. Especially last semester for my Microeconomics and Business Stats class for making notes. My terrible Windows laptop is basically used basically not at all. I have an iMac at home so typing papers and long form stuff is still possible.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope not because Android n bring support for multitasking which will help tablets. However, they still lack software support form OEMs.

I'm honestly surprised at how long it has taken for Google to do such a basic thing. I can do that on my iPad before a Nexus tablet can. Yikes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's what "finished" the pixel this past winter. Multi window has been very fun on a device obviously designed for it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's what "finished" the pixel this past winter. Multi window has been very fun on a device obviously designed for it.

By all accounts it didn't sell the best. I mean even Apples iPad "Pro" sold more and made more than the Surfaces and those have been selling pretty well for a couple years now.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
While I feel that the 10" tablet market is done for for Android, replaced by convertible chromebooks, the 7" one is going to be a sad casualty of the market forces. I love my Nexus 7 to death, but even today, tablets in this form factor don't really exceed my beloved tabet's specs by that much (if they do, I see too many 720p tablets in this form factor). I've been looking to replace my nexus 7 for a while, but I have not yet found anything suitable...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
While I feel that the 10" tablet market is done for for Android, replaced by convertible chromebooks, the 7" one is going to be a sad casualty of the market forces. I love my Nexus 7 to death, but even today, tablets in this form factor don't really exceed my beloved tabet's specs by that much (if they do, I see too many 720p tablets in this form factor). I've been looking to replace my nexus 7 for a while, but I have not yet found anything suitable...

The NVIDIA Shield Tablet was a very good successor to that range, but unfortunately they're not doing one this year and so the K1 is the only model remaining.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante