How long before we see phones with option of solar charging? Good idea right?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Until there are way more efficient solar cells, never. There are already battery packs with built in solar panels, or fold out panels for charging. The problem is power conversion to size ratio. A cell panel the size of a cell phone would take days to fully charge an S7 Edge size battery.

u71n4444

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I was speaking on the phone always having some sort of constant charging or consistent power that would help with the immediate strain on the internal battery. Just a thought.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't see it really feasible until solar panels are much MUCH more efficient. The cell phone is either held glass facing up (texting, surfing, games...etc), or in hand pressed against ones face to make a call. So the only time the back side would be getting direct sunlight is on standby with it facing down. I don't think too many people would want to lay their phone glass side down in the sun.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Closest thing would be an Anker (or similar) solar cell array with your phone plugged into it. But those things are huge, relatively speaking... so not exactly portable IMHO. They all need direct sunlight though, and its NOT good to roast your cell phone in the sun.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Closest thing would be an Anker (or similar) solar cell array with your phone plugged into it. But those things are huge, relatively speaking... so not exactly portable IMHO.

Aren't those fairly expensive too....as in there are more cost effective ways to spend the same kind of cash?

Overall, it is a good idea, one that should be explored, but like the others have said, Solar isn't efficient enough.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think they are around 40-$55 for the better ones. I think they all pretty much need direct sunlight though. Performance drops considerably in shade, and even more so on cloudy days. I think its a GREAT idea, but the technology and efficiency just isn't there yet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Solar panels produce about 8 to 10 watts of power per square foot. So a solar panel the size of my 6P would generate about 1.3 watts (my 6P would take a good 12 hours to charge), give or take, and that would be under ideal conditions... that amount of power wouldn't be enough to charge the phone if I was actively using it. Nevermind the fact that using my phone while holding it flush and square with direct sunlight typically is not a good mix... for any phone for that matter.

Now, that isn't to say that if you could get a somewhat small panel, a few square feet, and hook it up to an external battery from which you can then charge your phone.... You would just need to find yourself the smallest panel you would need in order to recharge your that external battery quicker than your phone can deplete it over time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995