I've had the newer moto g for about a year now, my first smart phone. I just turned off the security swipe pattern unlock feature as I have always found it annoying. Especially when answering phone calls that demand one enter the pattern before continuing. Up to this point I've tried to live with it because I suspected it has some useful need? The other security options like entering a password or PIN to wake the unit up seemed even more a hassle so left it with the swipe pattern. Obviously not much of a security block and I have wondered why do all these Apple and Android smartphones even have that need?

I can understand a phone that others might get a hold of like one a person just lays around wherever like at home or work where some others could monkey with it but there are a lot of people like this person where other people are never an issue. Also wondered about possibly turning the unit on accidentally say in one's pocket by bumping it and then it then gets into some unintended modes like making a phone call or changing settings? I looked on the web a bit for answers but only found endless sites explaining how to set up security unlock features.

So my question here is WHY is it useful to have a security unlock feature to wake up one's Android smartphone and which users ought enable such and which users might as well disable it because it is a inefficient nuisance?
    09-21-2016 02:51 PM
    Especially when answering phone calls that demand one enter the pattern before continuing.
    Whoa, wait a minute! I have owned four Moto Xs and none of them have required an unlock pattern to answer a phone call. I am at a loss as to why yours does.
    Sam_Gs7 likes this.
    09-21-2016 03:37 PM
    You pretty much answered your own question.

The purpose of the security code/swipe on the lock screen is to prevent unauthorized people from browsing your private content or changing settings on you.

I am surprised that you need to unlock your phone to answer a phone call.
    Sam_Gs7 likes this.
    09-21-2016 04:22 PM
    Indeed my statement was terse and misleading, as I can indeed answer the phone without unlocking. What does happen is if I accidentally touch something inadvertently while grabbing the phone to respond to a call, it sometimes interferes with my ability to answer by going into the unlock pattern screen. But then that is my own fault. There may be a simple process to circumvent that situation but I've not bothered to figure it out.

What is more a nuisance is having to go through the swipe pattern each time after the power save mode has shut down the smartphone. If I fully power the unit off say overnight and then later turn it on, I don't mind having to go through a security step. It is during periods of use while powered on that this person doesn't want to bother doing so unless someone here can suggest reasons I have not thought of.
    09-21-2016 04:33 PM
    It's a nuisance to have to unlock the door of my house while I'm trying to carry groceries inside also....but i do. I think the phone unlock is similar.
    PapaGary and libra89 like this.
    09-21-2016 09:21 PM
    Whoa, wait a minute! I have owned four Moto Xs and none of them have required an unlock pattern to answer a phone call. I am at a loss as to why yours does.
    PapaGary is right..I don't own a moto g but an SGs7 and As far
    as I Know-whether you've or not Set a lock it doesn't interfere to

answer incoming calls. If your Moto g ask For unlock code
    there's a bug on the Phone. Regarding the use or Not
    of locked PIN is totally up to the owner preference

But is useful if you've important Info in The device like
    a bank app or Samsung payment,.etc. SeeYa!
    09-22-2016 02:46 AM