Because I'm a regular via the DPreview.com which carters to all forms of photography and the devices that take these photographs. I spotted this a few days ago..

https://www.dpreview.com/news/167826...ampaign=buffer

I see this of great interest because I'm always looking for different ways to take and improve my photographs while using very little effort. With the announcement of this joint merge.. we could see a new line of optics being developed for the Huawei smart phones. So how soon will the other smart phone companies stand up and take noticed of this new and developing story..

The reason I bring this to your attention, is because several of the DPR members are concerned as to if and when the smart phone's imagery will over take or surpass the digital camera imagery. Thus making the digital camera obsolete. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of optical solutions Leica & Huawei come up with.
    B. Diddy, Guytronic and belodion like this.
    09-24-2016 04:58 PM
    This is pretty interesting--I'm going to move it from the Rumored Devices forum to the General News & Discussion forum, for a wider audience.
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-24-2016 11:45 PM
    Whoa...
    The comments under the article aren't very kind.
    Lot of photogs trashing the partnership deal
    09-25-2016 12:07 AM
    Haters gonna hate, I guess.
    09-25-2016 02:30 AM
    Again what's important here is the fact that both of these companies see the potential in the creation of a new and better smart phone camera and lens capabilities. According to the DPR forums most members feel that the smart phone is still a very long way away from actually catching up or surpassing the mainframe camera industry.

Typically I avoid open comment areas, but it's good to see that site like DPR and AC allow users to comment their feelings about particular subjects. What is not necessary, is the rude manor in which the comments are posted.. You have a right to voice your views.. but is it really necessary to use unwanted slag within these comments.
    09-25-2016 03:16 AM
    The one thing that I'd like to see on an Android phone is a camera with a large sensor, à la Nokia Lumia 1020. Unless and until that be done, it seems to me that there is no way of moving forward much beyond small hardware and software improvements....unless perhaps multiple cameras and sensors could be used to achieve a similar effect while keeping the phone thin. Otherwise I think that human ingenuity comes up against the hard facts of physics and the nature of light.

(I'm aware that there are one or two Androids that meet the above description, but they are expensive and are arguably more cameras than phones.)
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-25-2016 08:49 AM
    Haters gonna hate, I guess.
    Nothing to do with hating. A lot of the reviews seems to think this camera combo is not much better than other top Android smartphone cameras. Including ones with single lens.
    09-25-2016 11:03 AM
    Very interesting!
    09-26-2016 03:37 PM