Per Android Police: Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Initially, Google allegedly sold Huawei on the idea that the Nexus 6P would be stocked and sold by all four major US carriers. It was Huawei's big chance to finally be on store shelves in a huge number of retailers across the United States, and no doubt was a major reason they were so invested in the project. In particular, Huawei wanted its smartphones on Verizon ...
    And re: Pixel,

Google, though, set a hard rule for the partnership: Huawei would be relegated to a manufacturing role, producing phones with Google branding. The Huawei logo and name would be featured nowhere on the devices' exteriors or in their marketing, much like the Pixel phones built by HTC that we'll see unveiled tomorrow. According to our source, word spread inside Huawei quickly that global CEO Richard Yu himself ended negotiations with Google right then and there. Huawei was off the table for the new smartphones. Google's "plan B" - HTC - ended up winning the contract.
    None of this official though, all speculation and sources in the know.

My takeaway: to make it in the US, you still need to be US carrier.
    10-03-2016 09:53 PM
    Sucks for Huawei...
    10-04-2016 12:39 AM
    But say seriously, I just hope Huawei can learn the lesson of Nexus 6P bend issue...
    10-04-2016 06:05 AM
    But say seriously, I just hope Huawei can learn the lesson of Nexus 6P bend issue...
    That was really a tempest in a teapot... Like the Iphone 6 one, while a valid concern, it never really worked out to be the huge issue it was made out to be. Granted, the 6 had that 'touch death' thing that popped up as a result, but it remains to be seen if there are any long term things that pop up. I have about a year on my 6P.... no problems as of yet.

I guess I can see Huawei's reluctance to take on the Pixel line. Huawei's primary goal in the US is to get name recognition... they want people to see the name, see the logo and get familiar with the brand. That wasn't going to happen with the Pixel line.... WE all know that HTC is making the Pixel phones, but their roll is basically to put tab A into slot B... and the general public, when they walk into a carrier to look at new phones, will have no clue who made it other than "Google".

It doesn't surprise me that carrier involvement spoiled the relationship... whenever they get their hands involved with ANYTHING, nothing good ever comes up. Google has dealt with carriers several times now, and rarely does anything good come of it... With the Pixel line, they are going to try to give another go at it to see if those jackals can keep from screwing things up.

HTC? Well, they need the work. They went off the rails after the M7 and haven't found their footing, so to them, this is a lifeline to stay relevant. I honestly think that Google would be better off just purchasing HTC and being done with it. HTC already has several 'lifestyle' products that dovetail in with Google's roadmap... they can make phones, they have things like the Vive, etc.
    10-04-2016 08:57 AM
    I think this is where a compromise could have happened. Have both logos on the device. People will still recognize the big G, and Huawei will get some brand recognition.
    belodion likes this.
    10-04-2016 09:11 AM
    I think this is where a compromise could have happened. Have both logos on the device. People will still recognize the big G, and Huawei will get some brand recognition.
    Then it would have been a Nexus.
    10-04-2016 09:18 AM
    I don't think Google wants anyone to share here... this is 100% their phone... HTC's involvement is limited to taking all the bits that Google designed and picked and put them where Google wants them how Google wants it.
    10-04-2016 02:40 PM