Voice search

pinetreehater

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is enough. Over the past several months, I've encountered several instances where ads pop up in my browser that are not related to searches, but rather seem to be the result of eavesdropping.

My wife, daughter, and I were talking about drive in theaters and the good old days of sneaking in inside the trunk. We did no searches, but all of the sudden a few days later, I got an ad about a drive in theater. That is no coincidence, I promise you.
It also has happened with two more topics.

I do have voice search enabled, but I didn't realize they were monitoring my background conversations for ad targeting. If you go to Google, you can actually hear all the convos that were recorded, supposedly only as a result of direct voice searches. They are doing this, and it isn't right. Not a tinfoil problem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where can you listen to the recorded conversations? I'd be curious to see if I can find that as well on mine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It would be a little awesome if that functionality exists, but unfortunately it doesn't exist right now. The recordings that it stores here: https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity?restrict=vaa&utm_source=help&pli=1 are instances of you using Google's search or using voice dictation through Google Keyboard. Every single one of them requires you to initiate the recording intentionally through the pressing of a button or by saying, "okay Google", etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt