Chrome redirecting to shady sites.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
It's happening to me more and more frequently. I thought it was specifically Android Authority's site because that was the only time I used to see it. Now I see it for Android Police as well. I believe it's a Chrome specific issue because I've been using Firefox all day yesterday and had no issues. I tried Chrome again today and got it multiple times within minutes. I try to use everything Google (if available) and would like to stay with Chrome. Has anyone experienced this and know a possible fix?

Attachments

• 5145.jpg
    5145.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 32

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried rebooting to safe mode and it still happens (refer to image). So, I can rule out my wifi and third-party apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170107-023351~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20170107-023351~2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 20

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I get this often as well. But usually when I try to open links (from trusted groups) on Facebook app and the links are opened in the built-in Facebook browser. I've only gotten this a few times on the Chrome browser. One was recently but, like I said, not very often. It would be nice to know what the exact cause is to try to mitigate the appearance of this annoying pop-up.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No, that looks like the run of the mill redirect ads that are all too common these days. They are a scourge on humanity and whomever uses them should be cast into the deepest bowels of hell.

I might be wrong, but I think these types of ads, along with those pop up "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" ones that you might see on occasion, were all pioneered by Cheetah Mobile. Any site that uses them, send scathing feedback to their webmaster.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
So, building PC programs on an Apple 2e? :p

OP, have you tried a data clear in the browser?

I actually have. I tried a technique I found on Reddit, no luck. It said to uninstall updates (revert to old version), clear cache and data, uninstall the app, enable, download update, clear cache and data again. No luck.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I do notice that it doesn't happen if I use the 'request desktop site.'

That's because the ads are only targeting mobile... requesting the desktop site sends a different user string in the request to the site so it will send down the full site rather than the mobile version.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
No, that looks like the run of the mill redirect ads that are all too common these days. They are a scourge on humanity and whomever uses them should be cast into the deepest bowels of hell.

I might be wrong, but I think these types of ads, along with those pop up "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" ones that you might see on occasion, were all pioneered by Cheetah Mobile. Any site that uses them, send scathing feedback to their webmaster.
Totally agree, they are unbearable!

I no longer use Chrome due to them. I use the built-in Samsung Browser with AdBlock Fast and Opera Mini with its Ad Blocker, both work great, I haven't seen these type of ads since.

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
hmmmmmm... Sometimes I might still have time to change to desktop mode (although I haven't really tried doing this so often) but sometimes, when I click on a real link on some popular websites (real as in not the fake Facebook, etc. sites), it immediately takes me to an adware site. And it's so annoying! Is it really coming from Cheetah Mobile or something?

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Good to know that it doesn't happen in "Request Desktop Site." From now on I'll open the link (from Facebook) in Chrome and go to the desktop site. Also good to know it doesn't occur in Firefox. I'd use it but I would have to transfer all my bookmarks and open webpages over.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital