I just bought my first Android phone. Here's what I think.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't find anything sinister in the Privacy Statement from Microsoft. It looks similar to any other OS disclaimer to me.

I do, however, have reason to believe that Google's incessant tracking in order to commoditize me and target advertising to me is way more intrusive.

To each their own, I suppose.

This was the final straw that broke this camel's back 2 weeks ago after a short 3 week trial...

I've never gotten this on Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile. I'm very resentful about this intrusion into my personal assistant. I don't want Target Ads, don't need Target Ads, never requested Target Ads, asked the system not to show me Target Ads and what did I get? Repetitive Target Ads. Google may not have given my information to Target, but they told Target, "Hey, we saw somebody go into Target. Want us to get him for you?"

I'm not happy about it. I never was happy about it. It is a primary reason I left Android prior, several years ago. They want me to agree that I'm a walking sponge for adverts and they have an inalienable right to serve them to me whenever they choose... And make money from doing so.

I consider my device less personal and less under my personal control when Google is involved.
I don't think he said anything weird in the policy. The difference he is talking about is simple.. Microsoft says they'll sell no matter what whereas Google gives the user the option.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Speaking to a point made in the first post, about notifications.

Why are you being notified about having taken a screenshot? Because the OS is making the screenshot easily available to you for editing or sharing, as sharing is something people do with a screenshot relatively quickly after taking the screenshot.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Screenshots are also a potential security risk... You wouldn't want an app to be able to screen capture without your knowledge.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
About screenshots, Windows Phone does it in a subtle way. It just has a "Saved to Screenshots" at the top, which is not a notification. Also never mind the fact that iOS doesn't even notify (or have anything on the screen at all to know that you took one) so this is not really strange to be bothered by the notifications.

@Christopher Lindsay: I think you have great points here. Every OS has pros and cons. For me, I hate how it feels cumbersome to use another email client. I am used to doing the steps to set up as an exchange account but it still varies from phone to phone. I have had phones that play hide and seek with my contacts. I'm aware that I can export and then import them but it doesn't make sense to do that if I don't have to do that anywhere else.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Screenshots are also a potential security risk... You wouldn't want an app to be able to screen capture without your knowledge.

Some apps, bank apps in particular, have implemented screenshot blocking so that type of information can be protected.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow Chris, your Pixel experience turned into another Google vs. Microsoft privacy debate. See you and Robert back at the ranch.

A Windows Central Moderator brought it up, I replied because he is a very well respected member of our community who people are going to look to as a subject matter expert on the Windows platform within the Android Central community. I also then apologized early in when it seemed like we were going that direction and said we didn't intend this to be that discussion. And that discussion seemed to have naturally ended as of yesterday anyways.

That said, apparently the debate does need to happen because we are still getting a lot of folks who assume, due to the EveryoneHateGoogle movement, that Microsoft is a better option on this front ... and they're simply not. So yes, when someone who is looked to as an authority brings up a point that some may feel is mistaken or which doesn't give the whole picture, it's going to get a response to try to correct the record.

You used to be a moderator on "the ranch"... this comment seems a little off color in that context, but assuming I'm just misinterpreting your statement, is there any reason that Android and Windows users, as well as those curious about the other side, should not be concerned with privacy and security?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As stated above a question was brought up and answered.. I apologize to the OP if you feel we derailed the thread. We were just tackling a point that was brought up and we definitely didn't mean any harm by it.

Continue on :).

fatclue_98

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
is there any reason that Android and Windows users, as well as those curious about the other side, should not be concerned with privacy and security?
For the record, I've railed against ALL platforms regarding the privacy and/or data mining issues. I've stated many times my position that we, as users, already pay our ISPs for the privilege to use the internet. I don't feel it's right to have to further pay in the form of paid sites and things of that nature. Even when we opt-in to paid, "ad-free" apps, we're still getting the same treatment from Google, Microsoft or whomever in the manner mentioned by RumoredNow.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For the record, I've railed against ALL platforms regarding the privacy and/or data mining issues. I've stated many times my position that we, as users, already pay our ISPs for the privilege to use the internet. I don't feel it's right to have to further pay in the form of paid sites and things of that nature. Even when we opt-in to paid, "ad-free" apps, we're still getting the same treatment from Google, Microsoft or whomever in the manner mentioned by RumoredNow.
I'm sure I misunderstood, no worries

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback Christopher Lindsay!

Welcome to AndroidCentral. Ive also just become a first time android user and still wiring my way around the system, There are so many settings in settings haha. To make life a little easier, would it be possible for you to put some paragraphs in your feedback. Becomes hard to fead after a while :)

View attachment 249760
Ask and you shall receive. I dropped the paragraphs two lines instead of one so that the break is more obvious.

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site

Why are you being notified about having taken a screenshot? Because the OS is making the screenshot easily available to you for editing or sharing, as sharing is something people do with a screenshot relatively quickly after taking the screenshot.
I get notifications from every app for no reason. Even after I dismiss the notification it comes back later for a lot of apps. It's super annoying.Even YouTube notifies me about videos It thinks I might want to watch. I don't understand why this phone bothers the user do much.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I feel this is really a double edge sword. The apps were clearly much more polished on android and existent but the updates also brought new unwelcome features like ads. I hate having so many ads.
It's true in fact I never update apps that are working properly to avoid being ad blitzed. If I do have to update I read the most recent reviews.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I get notifications from every app for no reason. Even after I dismiss the notification it comes back later for a lot of apps. It's super annoying.Even YouTube notifies me about videos It thinks I might want to watch. I don't understand why this phone bothers the user do much.

You can try going into the settings > notifications area and limiting apps if you don't want certain ones to give notifications :).

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
You can try going into the settings > notifications area and limiting apps if you don't want certain ones to give notifications :).
I did that. I just don't understand why so many apps give notifications in the first place. I need the notification for some apps I just hate how after I dismiss the notification the same notification will come back again and again and how I can't dismiss them. I showed my friend who has a pixel my notifications because he thought I was exaggerating and there were pages and pages of it and this was after I cleared all of them the same day. I don't even have a lot of apps on the pixel either. Here's all the apps I've installed myself. The rest of the phone is stock.
ec459e513263593b3acae9212493de3b.jpg

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I did that. I just don't understand why so many apps give notifications in the first place. I need the notification for some apps I just hate how after I dismiss the notification the same notification will come back again and again and how I can't dismiss them. I showed my friend who has a pixel my notifications because he thought I was exaggerating and there were pages and pages of it and this was after I cleared all of them the same day. I don't even have a lot of apps on the pixel either. Here's all the apps I've installed myself. The rest of the phone is stock. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/ec459e513263593b3acae9212493de3b.jpg

That doesn't sound normal, you already returned the phone right? If not I'd be happy to help troubleshoot the returning notifications.

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site

That seems to be the default way the Pixel handles screenshots. There's no way to turn it off except to turn off all OS notifications.

Sent from mTalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer