No more bezel in phones - How is this a good thing?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the main benefit is that it allows a larger display without significantly increasing the device's footprint.

Just as a note, I didn't have much of an issue with the curved edges on my Note 7 or the slim bezels on the Huawei Mate 9, but perhaps those were just personal matters. Though I have also come to appreciate the larger-than-usual chin on my Moto Z. It's not pretty, but it gives me a good space to hold my phone when watching videos.

If OEMs plan to go this way, robust palm-rejection software needs to happen.

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the main benefit is that it allows a larger display without significantly increasing the device's footprint.

Just as a note, I didn't have much of an issue with the curved edges on my Note 7 or the slim bezels on the Huawei Mate 9, but perhaps those were just personal matters. Though I have also come to appreciate the larger-than-usual chin on my Moto Z. It's not pretty, but it gives me a good space to hold my phone when watching videos.

If OEMs plan to go this way, robust palm-rejection software needs to happen.

I was actually just about to say something like this. Software touch rejects on the edges could alleviate a lot of worries.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was actually just about to say something like this. Software touch rejects on the edges could alleviate a lot of worries.

Yeah... I keep hearing that they include stuff like this in phones out there now... but I don't buy it. :) Whenever I do anything with my wife's S7 Edge out of its wallet case, the false touches drive me insane. I couldn't use that thing one handed without a case to act as a buffer.

So I guess its moot.... I'd have to put it in a case as is... less bezel wouldn't change that.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd much rather have bezels with nice loud speakers on em than "infinity" displays any day. On the other hand, I can't stand phones with plenty of bezel, like the Pixels or some LGs, that provide only one mono speaker. We need Bauhaus bezels whose form follows from their function (and their function needs to something other than keeping the display attached to the rest of the phone or providing advertising space).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd much rather have bezels with nice loud speakers on em than "infinity" displays any day. On the other hand, I can't stand phones with plenty of bezel, like the Pixels or some LGs, that provide only one mono speaker. We need Bauhaus bezels whose form follows from their function (and their function needs to something other than keeping the display attached to the rest of the phone or providing advertising space).
^^ yes

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I would not mind the Pixel's bezels one bit if it had nice loud front-firing stereo speakers.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I also do like the bezels to hold. I think the top/bottom bezels could be decreased, though, as that will also increase screen size while saving space (although the V20's top/bottom bezels are pretty small).

And YESS. Build more functionality into the bezels if they're going to be large.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, this war on the bezel and on getting phones super thin is <censored>. I don't want Kindle Fire sized bezels, but I want something to hold my phone, and I want decent battery life, not a phone that bends and breaks if I put it in my front pocket of my jeans... I actually use bulky two layer cases to address this!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Why do phone companies think bezel-less phones are a great idea?

I think it's nice to have less bezels, since this allows the phone to be smaller and more portable, but what normally happens is the bezels get smaller and the screen gets larger, so the phone stays the same size haha. I do agree that there comes a time where its actually nice to have some bezels because it allows you to hold your phone and you don't have palms or the side of your fingers continuously touching the screen.

Phone companies are obsessed with making everything thinner, thinner, thinner and no wasted space.

I don't mind phones being thinner but nothing is allowed to be sacrificed for the thiner profile. So if the phone is easier to bend now, then its not an improvement. If the phone now has a smaller battery, its not an improvement. If the phone now has a massive camera bump its not an improvement. I think if a phone is 8.0 - 9.0mm thats perfectly fine. and I'm a happy customer :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes! If we have to sacrifice things like a bigger and better battery for a "smaller-feeling" and thinner device, then I will not be a very enthused customer!

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind phones being thinner but nothing is allowed to be sacrificed for the thiner profile. So if the phone is easier to bend now, then its not an improvement. If the phone now has a smaller battery, its not an improvement. If the phone now has a massive camera bump its not an improvement. I think if a phone is 8.0 - 9.0mm thats perfectly fine. and I'm a happy customer :)

8-9mm is actually very thick. That would be more flip-phone realm of size that 2017 smartphone size. For a 9mm phone, I would want THE best camera to ever be put in a cell phone now and for years in the future, a needlessly massive memory, 8-16gb of RAM, and a 12,000mAH battery.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
8-9mm is actually very thick. That would be more flip-phone realm of size that 2017 smartphone size.

Pixel and Pixel XL are 8.6mm at their thickest. The M10 is 9mm. Mate 9 is knocking on the door at 7.9mm. 8 or 9mm is far from being very thick... in fact, it's probably the most comfortable thickness. Like those Moto's that are uncomfortably thin if you don't slap one of the battery mods or back covers.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, I see my confusion. I was confusing inch dimensions with millimeter dimensions. I'm normally seeing dims like 0.3 inches and whatnot.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying bezels should be gone, but its about time we moved to 80-85% screen to body ratio. Phones are getting too big so we need to minimize bezels to keep the size of the phones in check.
A 5 inch phone with 85% screen body ratio would be the same size as a 4.5 inch phone with 65% ratio.