Hey Jerry! If anyone can explain this, it is probably you.

What role do carriers play in the update process of unlocked phones like Pixel, Nexus, iPhone or other unlocked phones. Don't the updates come directly from the manufacturer? Do the carriers have any part in it? Many Nexus 6 owners have had to wait a very long time for updates. Just wondering why.

Peace
    01-28-2017 08:56 PM
    I'll help -

Depends on the OEM, right?

When Motorola had representatives posting on Google+ about updates, it was mentioned that phones like the unlocked, carrier-free third gen Moto X Pure Edition would still get submitted to carrier labs like AT&T and Verizon for testing and/or approval. We even saw a case where if you had a Verizon SIM in your Moto X, an update was delayed.

With Apple, IIRC someone - maybe Jerry - mentioned some sort of self-certification or a process where they don't push an update until all necessary carrier testing is complete. I'd imagine Apple's stuff may get prioritized.

Jerry - how wrong am I?
    02-02-2017 01:41 PM
    well, with Apple it helps that all the major carriers sell the iPhone whether they are unlocked or not. That's not the case with Pixel and Nexus phones though (or other unlocked phones).
    02-03-2017 12:33 PM