Will mobile nations continue to remain out of politics?

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I stopped reading the verge/engadget/etc because they consistently have drifted into the political arena. Mobile Nations has stayed away from this for the most part except for when news directly involves them, like identifying Trumps phone or reporting on googlers walking out. Even in these instances it seems to be hard reporting sans the authors opinions on the subject. I really appreciate this, I appreciate that I can come read about my passions without the world of politics coming and ruining it for me. Will this continue to be the policy?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the utmost respect for the editorial staff at MN. I expect they will continue to cover politically related things in the same manner they have been. Only touching on the political aspects as it relates to tech. If they deviate from this I'm sure they will find a way to clearly label it so that those who wish to avoid it can.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Save the politics for this sub forum, which I avoid like the plague! lol I see no reason why AC would change editorial policy in this regard. :)

Politics - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Other than as others have stated, reported what's going on. Reporting Google's stance on the current executive order for example, etc, but no need to editorialize (pro or con)

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I stopped reading the verge/engadget/etc because they consistently have drifted into the political arena. Mobile Nations has stayed away from this for the most part except for when news directly involves them, like identifying Trumps phone or reporting on googlers walking out. Even in these instances it seems to be hard reporting sans the authors opinions on the subject. I really appreciate this, I appreciate that I can come read about my passions without the world of politics coming and ruining it for me. Will this continue to be the policy?

Hey Rob, thanks for the question. I don't anticipate any formal changes to editorial policy around political coverage. We live in a political world, and occasional it bleeds into other aspects of life, such as technology. When Google's CEO and its two co-founders are threatening to sue the U.S. government over an executive order, we *have* to cover it, whether we agree with the decision or not.

We also have openings each week for editorials, where any of our writers can engage with the community about topics they care about. Occasionally, those will be political. We are never going to be a politics site, but it's very important to have the ability to share openly and honestly and, most of all, safely, in an environment like this.

-Daniel

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the utmost respect for the editorial staff at MN. I expect they will continue to cover politically related things in the same manner they have been. Only touching on the political aspects as it relates to tech. If they deviate from this I'm sure they will find a way to clearly label it so that those who wish to avoid it can.

Thanks very much!

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see an issue with an editorial on politics and tech like engadget does every once in awhile. If you disagree with it or don't want to read political articles, as long as it's clearly labeled you can just skip the article. It's just like when there are articles that are NSFW, you can just not read them. I don't see why people get upset and don't want to read other articles on the site just because a political article exists.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I really don't see an issue with an editorial on politics and tech like engadget does every once in awhile. If you disagree with it or don't want to read political articles, as long as it's clearly labeled you can just skip the article. It's just like when there are articles that are NSFW, you can just not read them. I don't see why people get upset and don't want to read other articles on the site just because a political article exists.

Thanks for the comment, and I appreciate your viewpoint!

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It's good to see a more even hand here at MN. I've been a big fan here of this. One of the other sites I'd go to was twit. I say was because it has of late thought it better to take cheap shots instead of a more reasoned approach. I'm perfectly aware that everyone has their own biases. When that becomes their overriding slant that's when you alienate your audience.

Thankfully, all of you do a great job in that respect. Please keep it up.

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
It's good to see a more even hand here at MN. I've been a big fan here of this. One of the other sites I'd go to was twit. I say was because it has of late thought it better to take cheap shots instead of a more reasoned approach. I'm perfectly aware that everyone has their own biases. When that becomes their overriding slant that's when you alienate your audience.

Thankfully, all of you do a great job in that respect. Please keep it up.

I agree with that. And thanks for the kind words! Means a lot.

blucero23

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
You do some great work Daniel. Could you do me a favor and turn the comments off on the political articles?

Last edited:

Daniel Bader

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
You do some great work Daniel. Could you do me a favor and turn the comments off on the political articles?

We've done that on certain posts, and will keep track of ones that may encourage certain types of conversation. Thanks for the kind words!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan