YouTube TV

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://youtube.googleblog.com/2017/02/finally-live-tv-made-for-you.html

• A cloud DVR, with no storage limits. With YouTube TV, you’ll be able to record live TV and never run out of storage. Your cloud DVR can record as many shows as you want, simultaneously, without using precious data or space on your phone and we’ll store each of your recordings for nine months.
  • A service that works great on all your screens. You can watch YouTube TV on any screen—mobile, tablet or computer—and you can easily stream to your TV with a Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV. YouTube TV works on both Android and iOS. And your cloud DVR goes with you, so you can stream your recordings on any device, whenever and wherever you want.
  • YouTube Red Originals. With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series and movies right on the new YouTube TV app.
  • Six accounts, one price. Every YouTube TV membership comes with six accounts, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage limits. You can watch up to three concurrent streams at a time.
  • Half the cost of cable with zero commitments. A YouTube TV membership is only $35 a month and there are no commitments—you can cancel anytime.

YouTube TV is a slick full cable television replacement | Android Central

Google has announced YouTube TV, and it's exactly what it sounds like. It's a $35-a-month TV service that packages a bundle of channels from the broadcast networks and various cable networks. The networks includes Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC, as well as their affiliated cable networks, including Fox News, ESPN, and Bravo.

The base package will include roughly three dozen channels. Operators like Viacom (MTV, Nickelodeon) and Time Warner (HBO) will likely not be broadcast since these are either still considered exclusives for pay TV or have successful standalone services already. Showtime is noted on the YouTube TV site as being available for an extra free, but that price hasn't been revealed yet.

Unlike, say, conventional cable, which is typically watched on a television set, YouTube TV will be pivoted as "mobile first." The company expects its subscribers will spend a majority of the time consuming content on smartphones, though they'll also be able to watch it through all the other mediums — including the traditional TV in the living room.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Until I see the final channel list and how it compares to others like Sling, DirecTV Now, or the upcoming Hulu Live, not totally excited/impressed with this. It is cool, however, that virtually any device out there has a native YouTube app and that this seems to work with those, unlike some services (I'm looking at you, DirecTV no-love-for-Roku).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For my household, cutting the cable TV cord, I'd need the big four (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC), their cable affiliates (like Disney, ESPN, FoxSports, etc.) and cable channels from Viacom (Nickelodeon, etc.) and Scripps (HGTV, Food Network) with a cloud DVR significantly under $60/month.

My current Cable TV subscription plus the network apps with TV Anywhere login seem good enough for now.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
JUST cancelling the DVR portion of my TV service (including the equipment) would nearly pay for this. Cable box with DVR - $17, DVR service - $6.50, whole-house DVR (part of the package) - $7.00. That's nearly $31.

I want to know more about the "regional sports networks" as I want to be able to watch my baseball.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With DirecTV they give me the DVR (any room) and my 2nd box for free. Since I don't need more than 2 it works out well.

TV with Gbps internet is 135 (all taxes and fees) for me a month. My buddy is snagging that AT&T unlimited plan tomorrow and his address is set to mine so hopefully I get the 25 dollar discount on DirecTV so.. it'll be super cheap. It'll be hard for me to find a better deal I'm sure.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If only there was a service that would let me cut all the (insert many many curse words here) sports channels and let me either pay a lot less or add channels I actually watch, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, from what I understand, sports channels are also some of the most expensive ones to add to any TV service offering.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most people have a mom/pop or gradma/pa that still have cable and have no clue how to use the Interwebs, so just get their network logins from them. Only thing I miss is live TV (mostly just for local news).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Two of my local TV news stations have live www stream every day at 5 PM. I use that more than my cable TV.

At least one of my local stations streams every news cast and special report on their site and mobile app. They have live news streams from 5-7AM, 12-12:30, 5-6:30, 10 PM and 11 PM. However, they are restricted from streaming sports online.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
At least one of my local stations streams every news cast and special report on their site and mobile app. They have live news streams from 5-7AM, 12-12:30, 5-6:30, 10 PM and 11 PM. However, they are restricted from streaming sports online.

I hate sports on TV so yeah, not a problem there haha. And I do that too, stream their newscast, but not all stations here do (I like to have options for when they've been talking about the same story for 10 minutes). Also, a service that would offer these live, I gather, would have to have an HD feed.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought that Youtube TV would have the option to store the dvr content locally on a phone or a tablet so I wouldn't have to eat up my data plan. It seems decent, no slowdowns so far and quality is pretty good. I'm still going to see how the rest of the month goes before I commit.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing it in Chicago as we're one of the limited markets that it's available in. The concept is nice in theory but I have a few gripes with one being a game breaker. For one, the quality is average at best on my TV. It doesn't even feel like 720p. But the real issue is Blackout restrictions. Local station ABC was showing the Cubs game but it was not available through either YouTube TV penny Xfinity App (even on home WiFi which is odd). If my local sports get some blackouts whenever it's on ABC, it's a no go. Also, no WGN which is a necessity for Cubs and Blackhawks games.

I just want a service that offers CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, Comcast SportsNet, NBCSportsNet and WGN Chicago. I can access shows such as South Park on Hulu so that's fine. YouTube offers everything but WGN but blackouts kill the service.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think conventional TV and cable television has lasted amazingly long.... and i sure as heck have no idea why.

Honestly, it's most likely because of sports. Almost everything else is accessible through other legal means. The streaming passes for sports sold by the leagues blacks out local games meaning since I'm in Chicago I can't see Chicago play on it. It's either cable or nothing.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I've been testing it in Chicago as we're one of the limited markets that it's available in. The concept is nice in theory but I have a few gripes with one being a game breaker. For one, the quality is average at best on my TV. It doesn't even feel like 720p. But the real issue is Blackout restrictions. Local station ABC was showing the Cubs game but it was not available through either YouTube TV penny Xfinity App (even on home WiFi which is odd). If my local sports get some blackouts whenever it's on ABC, it's a no go. Also, no WGN which is a necessity for Cubs and Blackhawks games.

I just want a service that offers CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, Comcast SportsNet, NBCSportsNet and WGN Chicago. I can access shows such as South Park on Hulu so that's fine. YouTube offers everything but WGN but blackouts kill the service.

Aren't game blackouts dependent on the specific team and their TV contracts? Its not because of the service provider... I dont think? Any sports team that has a TV contract black out clause, is toast depending on the teams terms of their TV deal.

IIRC Oakland Raiders have a local TV black out clause. If the home game is not a sell out, TV broadcast is blocked. Fortunately they sell out every game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon