I have a $6,000 Vertu Constellation. Ask me anything.

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
IMG_0549.jpg

Full Specs: Vertu.com

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
Display: 5.5-inch WQHD AMOLED, sapphire covered
RAM: 4GB
Storage: 128GB, microSD expansion
Rear camera: 12MP, ƒ/2.0, phase detect autofocus
Front camera: 4MP, ƒ/2.0
Audio: Dual front-facing Dolby Digital Plus speakers, 3.5mm headphone jack
Power: 3220mAh battery, USB-C, Qi, PMA
Price: Starts at $6,000

I know you have questions, so please ask!

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
What is the distinguishing feature that stands out against so many other devices that cost <$1000 and have the same hardware?

Premium materials: sapphire display cover, calfskin back, titanium frame
Exclusivity: By virtue of being a $6,000+ phone, few can afford it
Concierge: Press the ruby button on the side to activate the 24/7 concierge service

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know you have questions, so please ask!

Yowzah!!! So jealous.

I'd like to fondle it for a minute and a half. What's that cost me, about $200?

Have you danced around Rene and his red iPhone, waving the Vertu in his face and making rude comments? :p

I mean, c'mon. That thing is in a league of its own.

I assume the concierge service requires a credit card on file. Is there a minimum credit limit when filing a card? What is it? Have you used the concierge yet?

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to fondle it for a minute and a half. What's that cost me, about $200?

$250/hour.

Have you danced around Rene and his red iPhone, waving the Vertu in his face and making rude comments?

I mean, c'mon. That thing is in a league of its own.

Yes.

I assume the concierge service requires a credit card on file. Is there a minimum credit limit when filing a card? What is it? Have you used the concierge yet?

Concierge is included free for the first year and is $3,000/year thereafter. I tried it out two years ago when I reviewed the 2015 Vertu Signature Touch, though being in Cincinnati for that entire review limited what I could play with. I'll be in New York next week, will definitely give it a spin.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Concierge is included free for the first year and is $3,000/year thereafter. I tried it out two years ago when I reviewed the 2015 Vertu Signature Touch, though being in Cincinnati for that entire review limited what I could play with. I'll be in New York next week, will definitely give it a spin.

Heh... so you are going to take out your $6000 phone and call a $3000/y concierge service who will then turn around and probably make all the arrangements on a cracked iPhone 6 slapped in an Otterbox case.

It's the cirrrrrcle of life.....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How is the scratch resistance? I have a device from another manufacturer with sapphire crystal and it is practically un scratch able.

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
How is the scratch resistance? I have a device from another manufacturer with sapphire crystal and it is practically un scratch able.
Same. Sapphire rates a 9 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness — it's the 3rd hardest natural substance, after diamond and moissanite.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Same. Sapphire rates a 9 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness — it's the 3rd hardest natural substance, after diamond and moissanite.
That's good to hear.

Have you dropped it at all? My biggest concern with sapphire is it's easier to crack than glass when dropped.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So far as you know, did the manufacturer ask the calf what it thought of its skin being put onto a phone, instead of being left on it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So a more serious question -- have you tried the concierge yet? Is it the same as OnStar, or some of those concierge services available to some credit card holders?

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
So a more serious question -- have you tried the concierge yet? Is it the same as OnStar, or some of those concierge services available to some credit card holders?

It's beyond OnStar or any credit card concierge I've tried. If I had to guess, it's probably on par with American Express Centurion concierge.

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Battery life as expected for a qhd screen with a 3200 battery?
Battery life so far is a little under what I'd expect. Software's probably just not as optimized as it

Much added features causing drain and sluggishness.
Haven't noticed any sluggishness, which is about what I'd expect on a Snapdragon 820. Vertu's customizations have gotten lighter and lighter with every phone. Now it's a launcher, some security stuff, and the Vertu Concierge apps.

Feel heavy, easy to grip, nice back.
It is quite hefty. Feels great, though. Big phone, but no issue holding onto it.

Did you keep that home screen, I like it.
So far.

Do you feel special or nervous when you take a call. :)
I always feel special. :D

More fun is handing the phone to somebody, explaining the features and materials, and then asking them how much they think it costs. They always lowball.

US Concierge? (I'm in UK)
Concierge is global, and Vertu is based in Church Crookham, England.

Can they get me a different wife, make it look like an accident.
Uhhhhh… they might know somebody who knows somebody?

Can I send one of my pilots to borrow it with a view to buying one.
I suggest visiting a Vertu Store.

Can I get a trade in deal on my Moto G.
Yeah, by selling the Moto G on eBay. :p

Are they selling many over there.
They don't sell many anywhere. But they're a small company that sells a high-profit luxury phone and high-margin concierge services.

How many questions do you want. I can't stop :p
Ask away!