What if you were the designer of the next phone body?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not going to get into specs here, just the physical design.

I figured, draw your dream phone

So, here's what mine would look like (it takes a lot of design cues from the Nexus 5):

DesignYourPhone.jpg

This would be an all metal body, no glass on the back except the FPS and camera lens obviously. Pretty basic.

What would yours look like?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to buy your phone, but you can make the corners a bit rounder please. Also, it wants to be available in three sizes....small, medium and big. I'll take the small.
Is that just the basic outline, or are your side bezels that narrow?

I'll have a go at my own design later. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to buy your phone, but you can make the corners a bit rounder please. Also, it wants to be available in three sizes....small, medium and big. I'll take the small.
Is that just the basic outline, or are your side bezels that narrow?

I'll have a go at my own design later. :)

In the mock up, the side bezels are .05 inches per side. But on that scale, the screen is also over 9 inches diagonally... so take that with a grain of salt :p

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine would have: Rounded corners. Display about 4.3". Fingerprint sensor on top, power button top right, volume rocker right side upper, camera button right side lower; all buttons recessed. Flat glass display. Phone would be THICK to allow big camera sensor and big battery. There would be a protective shutter or cover over the camera lens. Back would be curved, and rubbery for good grip.

b83c31e979ccbfb35fdf556638339591.jpg

First thing I'd do before manufacturing, is employ someone to draw it properly.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
☝"That's your dream phone, with a separate fps and power button? You don't know what you're doing, do you?"

"No, sir." 😟

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine would have: Rounded corners. Display about 4.3". Fingerprint sensor on top, power button top right, volume rocker right side upper, camera button right side lower; all buttons recessed. Flat glass display. Phone would be THICK to allow big camera sensor and big battery. There would be a protective shutter or cover over the camera lens. Back would be curved, and rubbery for good grip.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/b83c31e979ccbfb35fdf556638339591.jpg

First thing I'd do before manufacturing, is employ someone to draw it properly.

Thank you for acknowledging people like me who help Aquila's .05 inch wide bezels come to life!

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I want the size of the Huawei P10, rounded corners like the LG G6, FPS/Power Button on right side along with volume buttons.
Dual cameras (Pixel equivalent for still shots and iPhone 7+ equivalent for video) - agnostic to on the top LH corner or centered in the middle. Tiny bezels and edge to edge screen like the Mi Mix not edge rounded screen like the S8. Quad DAC, 3000 mAh battery, 5.2" screen minimum, dual front speakers from the ZTE Axon, IP68 rated for dust/water proofing running pure Android O.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Size wise, I'm open to some things. I really like the Pixel and iPhone body, definitely not really interested in a glass phone. Rear camera I don't care where it is too much, but might as well go for symmetry if the FPS is there. If the FPS is on the power button on the right side, then that'd work and camera can go anywhere. I definitely do not want rounded screen (edge or corners) so I hope that's a fad that's already over. And at this point, stuff sticking out of the front or back is just lazy.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the thread title, you'd think there would be a sense in which we ARE the designers of the next phone body, up to a point. Manufacturers must be aware of the wishes of customers, or potential customers....yet it's surprising how often they seem to fail to respond. To take one example: the order of the screen navigation buttons on Samsung devices....a small but important detail which only now have they addressed by making them customisable. All of a sudden, I and others who feel as strongly about that can consider buying a Samsung, but it's taken a long time.

And where are the small, high-spec Androids that some of us - and it must surely be enough of us to be commercially worthwhile - would buy, given the choice.

Clearly, Apple did listen to their customers when they produced the iPhone SE. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the thread title, you'd think there would be a sense in which we ARE the designers of the next phone body, up to a point. Manufacturers must be aware of the wishes of customers, or potential customers....yet it's surprising how often they seem to fail to respond. To take one example: the order of the screen navigation buttons on Samsung devices....a small but important detail which only now have they addressed by making them customisable. All of a sudden, I and others who feel as strongly about that can consider buying a Samsung, but it's taken a long time.

And where are the small, high-spec Androids that some of us - and it must surely be enough of us to be commercially worthwhile - would buy, given the choice.

Clearly, Apple did listen to their customers when they produced the iPhone SE. :)

Ptttth

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have simple needs. And combined with a pragmatic view of the world...

main body will consist of a good quality, soft touch plastic. Like the Nexus 5. Everyone drools over these click as snot glass and metal phones... How premium! Sexy! Then they peel off the shipping plastic and slap it in a plastic case.

The Nexus 5 was the last phone I owned that didn't get popped in a case on day 1. The material held up to a lot of abuse over the year I owned the phone, including a few drops and once getting kicked a good 10 yards across the floor of a local Target. The case itself showed next to no damage... no gouges or really any scratches or scuffs other than on the corner that got banged up a little during one of the mentioned drops. It was an easy phone to hold because the plastic was very grippy... I could lay the phone on the palm of my hand and hold it near vertical before it would start to slip.

The rest? Stereo, front facing speakers, and a screen/body ratio in the low 70's.... this trend of tiny bezel phones, blech... FLAT display.... no curves, no sneaky 2.5D glass panes, flat.

All in all, very similar to my man Aquila there.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Take the HTC M8, get rid of the black bar that tells em what device I have (I should know; I bought it). Narrow the speakers to 3/4 of what the original size was. Expand the screen to occupy that space. Keep the materials the same. Ditch the second camera. That would be my dream design.

MaximillianW

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
Without posting an image... i'll just say that first, I'll ask people, users who have used multiple phones in the past, like you did. This is the time for co-creation. So it's smart to ask people around before you try to shove something down their throats they don't like, and i think pretty much every big brand has done that at least once. but i were to... i'd be going for something like LG G5's body or Nexus 5's. two rear cameras like G6 would be great IMHO and i won't cheap out on ram like a lot of companies do. logo will only be on the backside of the cover, as in, the inside.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

So, here's what mine would look like (it takes a lot of design cues from the Nexus 5):

View attachment 255957

This would be an all metal body, no glass on the back except the FPS and camera lens obviously. Pretty basic.

Love this, and love the influence of the Nexus 5 in its design!

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
You make a Nexus 6-sized version of this beauty, and I'm all in! But I'd also prefer plastic over metal (at least on the back for Qi charging) and some Motorola-style IR sensors on the front for that sweet Moto display action. And since I'd put it in a wallet case anyway, a name or OEM logo on the back wouldn't even register for me. Just no damn checkmarks!

DCTF

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
The phone I've liked the most for appearance was the LG G4: thin, but with the illusion of being ultra-thin because of the tapered edges. I had the one with the plastic body. The only thing I didn't like was the weird denting in the rear shell.

The LG G4 had infamous problems with the early runs' motherboards, an issue that emerged over time, so it's a fair guess that the problem was caused by heat causing connections to break down inside the phone. So, if it could be done with newer, smaller, cooler components, I'd like that body back again but with a smooth shell.

Torry Cox

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 255957

I like your design. I would like the same, only that it was completely rectangular with sharp angles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37