Xoom update coming any moment now?

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The SD card support should have been here by now and really is no excuse for it not to be. Other tabs have been released since then and have full SD card support. What I really want is for google to finally drop the source for honeycomb. Maybe it may be coming at I/O in a few weeks. How cool would it be for google to release "ice cream" that combines gingerbread and honeycomb and Motorola pushes it to our xooms that day.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly certain there will be a decent update to Honeycomb at or just before IO, so I'd sort of assume that's what the kernel change is intended to prepare for.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly certain there will be a decent update to Honeycomb at or just before IO, so I'd sort of assume that's what the kernel change is intended to prepare for.

Motorola does not push Android updates, just hardware updates. Just like Samsung with the Nexus S. Also we might see Icecream, I am also hopeful of that but I also really want the source code as well, that way we can have fixes to issues to the horrid UA string on the browser.

Sent from my Nexus S

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola does not push Android updates, just hardware updates. Just like Samsung with the Nexus S. Also we might see Icecream, I am also hopeful of that but I also really want the source code as well, that way we can have fixes to issues to the horrid UA string on the browser.

Right, but if any kernel updates were needed to support the OS change you'd expect them to hit first.

I don't think we'll see much (if any) of Icecream at IO this year, but I'd be happy to be wrong. It's possible we'll see the Honeycomb sourcecode after the next major update, but certainly not before then. It's also possible we won't see it until after the first Nexus tablet ships (I expect it to be announced and given away at IO), which will probably be this summer.

Honestly I think Google is holding the source code right now to prevent others from using the AOSP project to create their own tablet OS beneath their noses, which is why I think it may be held until such time as they get all of their Honeycomb ducks in a row, and get a tablet they are truly happy with out the door and shipping en masse.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see someone fix the ad-hoc network problem. We shouldn't have to jump thru hoops or root our phones/Xoom to get it to work. I have too much trouble connecting thru Bluetooth to hassle with it. I just want to turn my phones hotspot and connect.
I tried contacting Samsung and they wouldn't answer my question about the galaxy s 2. I asked if it produced an infrastructure network. Fine they couldn't give me info on an unreleased phone, but they refused to give info on the capitvate.
I also tried Motorola for their help connecting the Xoom to a phone and they were no help either.
I was hoping to stop paying Verizon for internet service. Oh well, I have a month left on my 90 day return policy at Costco to figure something out.