08-04-2017 07:31 AM
99 ... 234
tools
    I just don't get it.

Picked up my brother-in-law's iPhone and played with it for a while, still don't get what the fuss is all about.
    05-25-2017 07:25 AM
    Because they work, get quick consistent updates, get supported for over twice as long as Android flagships, and they have great battery life.

Did I mention they hold their value ten times better than their Android equivalent? Lol..... I know, I've been looking to pick up one with equivalent screen size to my MXPE and even used the prices are steep =-O
    muckle_dabuckle likes this.
    05-25-2017 09:47 PM
    Eh...my Android works...they always have, updates...slow but I've never had a problem, my battery gives me 30-35% after a good day of use (LG/Samsung) unless I get the rogue app churning through my power, doesn't happen often but sucks when it does. Don't much care about value, my phones are pretty much target practice after a couple of years.

iPhones are just so locked down to me.
    05-26-2017 07:38 AM
    I was going to pick up a 7 Plus after work today, but this morning my V20 got the May security patch. Maybe Google IS spying on me. LOL I already ordered the case and screen protectors. Now I have a decision to make. Realistically the May patch is just a temporary fix and the V20 probably won't see another security update until December or something.

I used to be a spec snob and made fun of Apple and people who owned Apple products, but I feel the 7 Plus is comparable to any Android flagship on paper and I finally realized specs aren't everything.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-26-2017 09:34 AM
    I feel that my S8 will get progressively worse as time moves on. Not because of the famous samsung slow down but mostly because I know it will probably be stuck on Nougat 7.0 for a while and won't see Android O until Spring 2018.

My 7+ though will be on iOS11 on day one so will almost feel like a new phone when that happens.
    muckle_dabuckle and J Dubbs like this.
    05-26-2017 09:47 AM
    Good points. My V20 won't see Android O for at least a year. iOS 11 could be a game changer for Apple if they don't play it safe. If I get the 7 Plus I will be using iOS 11 in about four months.

Apple question: can you use Siri as a voice activated shutter on the stock camera app?
    05-26-2017 09:51 AM
    If I get the 7 Plus I will be using iOS 11 in about four months.
    This is a big consideration IMO. I guess the new pixel is an option on the android side of the fence but I am no fan of the current pixel especially the lack of an SD card.

No idea re Siri never been a big user of voice on any of my phones
    05-26-2017 10:04 AM
    I thought about waiting to see if the Pixel 2 comes to T-mobile. Feel like I don't want to wait and find out. They decided to play the exclusive game or else I would've had one last fall.
    05-26-2017 10:16 AM
    I was going to pick up a 7 Plus after work today, but this morning my V20 got the May security patch. Maybe Google IS spying on me. LOL I already ordered the case and screen protectors. Now I have a decision to make. Realistically the May patch is just a temporary fix and the V20 probably won't see another security update until December or something.

I used to be a spec snob and made fun of Apple and people who owned Apple products, but I feel the 7 Plus is comparable to any Android flagship on paper and I finally realized specs aren't everything.
    7+ specs really aren't bad; the screen res is a little low but it's a good pixel arrangement so it isn't harming the experience and their display is the most accurate on any mobile to date. Their SoC is awesome, battery life is good, performance is good - not sure there's much on their spec sheet to complain about.
    05-26-2017 10:24 AM
    Because they work, get quick consistent updates, get supported for over twice as long as Android flagships, and they have great battery life.

Did I mention they hold their value ten times better than their Android equivalent? Lol..... I know, I've been looking to pick up one with equivalent screen size to my MXPE and even used the prices are steep =-O
    My s8 works.. so?

I get maybe saying iPhone is easier on the less tech savvy but I don't get the "it works" as a defense.
    Inders99 and DMP89145 like this.
    05-26-2017 05:15 PM
    I traded in my V20 for an iPhone 7 Plus yesterday. It is a really great phone so far. For all of the reviewers that give waterproof phones a pass for having crappy sounding speakers...well the 7 Plus is really loud and sounds great. It is louder than the V20's really loud speaker (which I felt was one of the best I've ever used). The only thing I miss from my V20 is the superior notification system of Android. I love the number badges on the app icons in Apple, but I miss the app icons in the system notification tray. Also, it appears the sandboxing of apps prevents cutting and pasting text from 3rd party apps. I was going to cut and paste a password reset from Gmail into an app I was logging into, but I wasn't allowed to copy the text from the e-mail. I went to Apple's stock e-mail app and was able to cut and paste the password from there. Hmmmm.....maybe I'm mistaken, but that is how it appeared.

I don't even get saying the iPhone is easier for less tech savy people. It has just as many menu options compared to any Android phone, but the options menu is very poorly thought out. For example, to turn off noise suppression for phone calls you have to go to the accessibility menu instead of the phone menu. Makes no sense. To change video resolution you have to go to the photo & camera section in the global menu (can't be changed in the camera app). Most people probably don't even know about all the options on the iPhones (and probably don't care).

Anyway. The war between Apple and Android is pretty ridiculous. The functions and features are pretty comparable. There is very little I can do on Android that I can't do on iOS (and vice versa). Just different ways of doing things.
    05-27-2017 10:04 AM
    Anyway. The war between Apple and Android is pretty ridiculous. The functions and features are pretty comparable. There is very little I can do on Android that I can't do on iOS (and vice versa). Just different ways of doing things.
    I kinda agree with you there. Though I think it's more of a debate than a war since they want two different things. Regardless, the hardware debate has gotten a stale. Everything out now is shades of grey differences that don't really change the user experience that much. Pretty much all phones take at least good pictures, play music and, most importantly, complete a phone call. Doesn't really matter the screen your looking at.

IMO, consumer decision is around what ecosystem you want. More and more is being done around AI and services overall. The phone itself won't be nearly as important as the ecosystem you've chosen in the next ten years.
    Inders99 likes this.
    05-28-2017 12:09 PM
    Incredibly annoyed that without fail after about 6 months, my phone with 3 GB RAM and an SD 820 has turned into a sloth. And what's most irritating is the brain-trust at Google has made it even more difficult to track and manage processes with 7.0/Nougat since utility apps can no longer "see" other processes CPU usage. I shouldn't have to root my phone to make it usable.

Android is going to get even more iOS like with 8.0 and iOS will (finally) get file access in the fall. Yes, it's getting harder to ignore simply moving to an iPhone.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-12-2017 03:51 PM
    Being an Android adopter from the beginning, it can be a very exasperating experience at times. An example is my current phone, a S7, and since I've owned it it's been a stellar product, however here we go with the Android Gremlins...my phone barely makes it through the day on a full charge now. Up to this point it was a consistent 30-35% at bedtime. Ugh...not having a lot of free time makes it hard for me to investigate the reasons...assuming I have the knowledge to do so in the first place.

My prior phone, a LG G4, was rendered useless from the MM update and it's performance or lack of prompted me to jump to the S7.

I do understand the draw to iPhones, still don't want one but the way it's locked down does have advantages.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-15-2017 07:03 AM
    I'm new to android from IPhone. I have to experience the update situation but battery wise the s8 I have is easily on par or better than my iPhone.

I would argue IPhone battery life is not a positive. My wife still has an iPhone and it drains chronically. She has to charge it three times a day often.
    06-16-2017 05:54 AM
    I just don't get it.

Picked up my brother-in-law's iPhone and played with it for a while, still don't get what the fuss is all about.
    Plus, some of the iPhone users I talk to tell me they don't use their phone for much else other than for the basics - calls, texts, web browsing. They're not as into the customising and tweaking. Perhaps they just want to get the job done... Whereas I like getting the job done but have fun getting there by tweaking everything to my heart's content. 😜
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-16-2017 09:59 PM
    Plus, some of the iPhone users I talk to tell me they don't use their phone for much else other than for the basics - calls, texts, web browsing. They're not as into the customising and tweaking. Perhaps they just want to get the job done... Whereas I like getting the job done but have fun getting there by tweaking everything to my heart's content. ������
    I agree, that's how some of the iphone friends I know are .
    DMP89145 likes this.
    07-21-2017 02:59 PM
    I used to buy every iPhone until the iPhone 5 and then I started skipping iPhones and buying Android phones.

My latest Android phone is the S8+. With the news that Apple is no longer allowing apps that block ads in apps using a VPN, I am seriously thinking of never buying another iPhone again. Being able to block ads in apps has always been important to me, enough to make me go Android 100% in the future.

Only thing that makes me still use my 6S+ is that I bought three Apple watches back in March. I am also thinking of selling those now, one is the Ceramic edition watch so with it's 3 years of Apple care, I can get some serious money back when I sell it. I'm thinking if selling all three in the fall.

It will be nice to not have Apple dictating what I can and can't have on my phone.
    07-25-2017 04:29 AM
    I still have an iPhone 5C as a backup, incase my LG V10 bootloops or crashes.

I replaced the 5C battery about 5-6 months ago very easily myself for $13. Thumbs up for that!!

Its several years old and still runs fine. The only lagging I notice is closing YT videos, hardly enough for me to ditch it outright.

But about those iOS Updates... As nice as they are, with EVERY iOS update it locks out perfectly good USB accessories, cables and power supplies. Its frustrating, and probably the one hidden thing that keeps me with Android. All the other pros and cons are very well documented, IMHO. But this one is maddening. I just completed an iOS update, after holding it off for ~3-4 weeks... and I now get this when I plug into a perfectly good USB power hub.

This aspect of iOS is TOTALLY INFURIATING!!... how they terminate charging!! I mean I don't mind a warning, I can just close... BUT DON'T TERMINATE BATTERY CHARGING!!!

I will never buy another iPhone for this reason alone.

I am not happy with Android either mind you. But at least I can plug into a USB power hub and it will still work.
    07-28-2017 02:23 PM
    I still have an iPhone 5C as a backup, incase my LG V10 bootloops or crashes.

I replaced the 5C battery about 5-6 months ago very easily myself for $13. Thumbs up for that!!

Its several years old and still runs fine. The only lagging I notice is closing YT videos, hardly enough for me to ditch it outright.

But about those iOS Updates... As nice as they are, with EVERY iOS update it locks out perfectly good USB accessories, cables and power supplies. Its frustrating, and probably the one hidden thing that keeps me with Android. All the other pros and cons are very well documented, IMHO. But this one is maddening. I just completed an iOS update, after holding it off for ~3-4 weeks... and I now get this when I plug into a perfectly good USB power hub.

This aspect of iOS is TOTALLY INFURIATING!!... how they terminate charging!! I mean I don't mind a warning, I can just close... BUT DON'T TERMINATE BATTERY CHARGING!!!

I will never buy another iPhone for this reason alone.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/...af9b713a2f.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/...3ca3ea72_m.jpg

I am not happy with Android either mind you. But at least I can plug into a USB power hub and it will still work.
    Oh my, I wasn't aware of that... So frustrating!
    08-02-2017 10:30 AM
    Most are not aware of this... Hopefully this will help to enlighten those wanting to make this jump.

I am the only android phone in the house. My wife, daughter, cousins...etc are all on iOS. So we see it with various devices and its somewhat random too. It can depend on the iOS update and the USB device.

I have found with every iOS update, it further and further out-dates the device. I really don't value that aspect of iOS.
    08-02-2017 02:24 PM
    I tried the jump yesterday to the iPhone 7 Plus. I lasted about 6 hours. I am now back on Android.

It was scary.

08-03-2017 07:39 PM
    I tried the jump yesterday to the iPhone 7 Plus. I lasted about 6 hours. I am now back on Android.

It was scary.

What specifically was bad?
    08-04-2017 07:25 AM
    Look at a One Plus 5 half the price all the features. Rock solid and fast.
    Morty2264 and J Dubbs like this.
    08-04-2017 07:31 AM
99 ... 234