Netflix confirms it is blocking rooted/unlocked devices, app itself is still working (for now)

Earlier today,*Netflix started showing up as 'incompatible' on the Play Store*for rooted and unlocked Android devices. However, the app itself continued to work fine, leading some (including myself) to think it could have been an accident. However, Netflix has now confirmed to us that blocking modified devices from downloading the app was intentional.

This is the full statement:
    With our latest 5.0 release, we now fully rely on the Widevine DRM provided by Google; therefore, many devices that are not Google-certified or have been altered will no longer work with our latest app and those users will no longer see the Netflix app in the Play Store.
    smvim likes this.
    05-14-2017 12:48 AM
    So no Netflix for Kindles either.
    05-14-2017 02:08 AM
    Sounds like some one figured out how to decrypt, and copy downloaded playback payloads from the app...
    05-14-2017 02:41 AM
    What about devices where a rooting attempt failed and left corrupt su binaries in the system and makes AIDA64 show the device is rooted?
    05-14-2017 12:58 PM
    What about devices where a rooting attempt failed and left corrupt su binaries in the system and makes AIDA64 show the device is rooted?
    If that causes an error with Widevine, then yes.
    05-14-2017 02:23 PM
    I do not currently use netflix, but this means I will be limited to my PC if I decide to watch. I think they block such devices because of screen recorder apps.
    05-16-2017 03:39 AM
    I do not currently use netflix, but this means I will be limited to my PC if I decide to watch. I think they block such devices because of screen recorder apps.
    There are actually screen recorders that don't require root now, some are even free. I use AZ Screen Recorder.
    05-16-2017 04:09 AM
    Well, this is how netflix will lose half their mobile customers. They are ridiculous about this.
    05-16-2017 01:14 PM
    Well, this is how netflix will lose half their mobile customers. They are ridiculous about this.
    I doubt half of the customers that use Netflix on Android are rooted.
    05-16-2017 02:04 PM
    This.
    05-16-2017 03:22 PM
    I agree, at this point the percentage of active Android users with rooted devices probably cannot be past the two digit mark. Those who do fall into that category, that are also active Netflix customers, is going to be in the lower single digits at most. Besides, if you know enough to root your device, odds are you also know how to manually sideload an apk, nullifying this issue anyway. It's another news media fluff piece.
    05-16-2017 03:36 PM
    I agree, at this point the percentage of active Android users with rooted devices probably cannot be past the two digit mark. Those who do fall into that category, that are also active Netflix customers, is going to be in the lower single digits at most. Besides, if you know enough to root your device, odds are you also know how to manually sideload an apk, nullifying this issue anyway. It's another news media fluff piece.
    I wonder if the app it's self has root detection to counter side-loading the APK.
    05-16-2017 06:11 PM
    I have a feeling that this is due to production companies wanted Netflix to do whatever they can to curb piracy.

Honestly, as a rooted user myself, I doubt that a lot of people would go through the trouble of unlocking their bootloader, flashing SU binaries (and a custom kernel to disable dm-verity) and then jumping through some extra hoops for the sake of piracy.

Then again, there's always that one guy.
    05-17-2017 12:08 PM
    I agree, especially if you have a phone barely supported by XDA (take my Idol X+ as an example).
    05-18-2017 01:17 AM
    Here is an interesting follow-up to the Netflix situation I thought you all might like to check out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05...***-safetynet/
    smvim and Mr Mendelli like this.
    05-18-2017 07:20 AM
    Wow! I didn't know about this.
    06-13-2017 10:19 PM
    Wow! I didn't know about this.
    Yep. I can't really blame Netflix though. Rooting is great and all but when people do it to then steal stuff (such as downloaded movies from Netflix) .. well .. of course they're going to retaliate. It is the old saying of a few people can ruin it for everyone else. Not all people who root will steal this way but there are some who do .. and they cause the big wigs at Netflix to say "nope" to these issues.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-14-2017 09:46 AM