Do you prefer Metal or Glass for the back of a smartphone?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Neither... I prefer rubber-ized, hi grip plastic backs that can be removed and replaced since I always use protective cases.

But given no other choice I would take Aluminum over glass any day of the week.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm intrigued by the ceramic and titanium Essential Phone, which will come out, well, hopefully in mere days. That phone looks sturdy. It sounds sturdy. And yet it looks gorgeous. The company isn't even bothering with case manufacturers because they say it doesn't need one!

Now THAT is what I want in a phone. I hope it turns out to be as good as I dream.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I prefer high quality, soft touch plastic
Thank you!

You know what I liked!? The Galaxy Note 4 and LG G4.

The Note 4's faux leather back survived 2years of my hard usage without a single bit of chipping or fading, and it is so grippy, phone sat comfy in the hand.

Metal and Glass Backs make phones slippery, IMO.

The LG G4 with its leather was great to, except in Orange as that peeled badly.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s+, previously had a S7 and I love the metal better. Resists fingerprints nicely, feels premium, has that cool touch to it if your in a cold room and I've dropped it so many times with a very slim spigen clear case and only managed to get one dent near the headphone jack.

Glass shatters and gets fingerprints like no tommorow, but it's extremely beautiful especially the silver S8 when the light reflects off of it.

I think my favorite designed android phone is the LGV20 because it's the only phone I know to have a metal back but still removable battery.

What material do you guys prefer for the back of your phones?

Matte metal. I love the look and premium feel of the iPhone (and the older HTC 10), but hate using iPhones. The V20 did it right combining premium materials and functionality. Glass is too fragile and is a greasy fingerprint magnet. My next choice would be rubberized plastic like the Galaxy Active series.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you!

You know what I liked!? The Galaxy Note 4 and LG G4.

The Note 4's faux leather back survived 2years of my hard usage without a single bit of chipping or fading, and it is so grippy, phone sat comfy in the hand.

Metal and Glass Backs make phones slippery, IMO.

The LG G4 with its leather was great to, except in Orange as that peeled badly.

Note 4 design was awesome, why did they go with that glass slap design? Note 4 had nice metal side bezels for that premium feel, as well as a nice leather back that was removable. Most real Note fans loved that look. Too bad Samsung is killing off the Note 4 with an OS update to make it obsolete.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Neither. I prefer plastic. It is tough and still allows wireless charging. Metal would be my second choice and glass the worst.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 design was awesome, why did they go with that glass slap design? Note 4 had nice metal side bezels for that premium feel, as well as a nice leather back that was removable. Most real Note fans loved that look. Too bad Samsung is killing off the Note 4 with an OS update to make it obsolete.

Wait WHAT? I have a Note 4-the hell are you saying?

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
If the Note 8 wanted to be truly revolutionary it would concentrate on a nearly indestructible phone.

But they won't. The style rivalry with Apple will continue. And it's hard to criticise given the success of the S8/S8+.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO glass doesn't even look good. It looks garish, like cheap costume jewelry with fingerprints, cracks and a reflection of the surrounding surfaces. Just classless.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I prefer mostly metal, metal frame with plastic back or all high quality plastic. Usually don't care for the look or feel of glass on the back. If I really liked everything other than the glass back, then I'd use a skin to prevent fingerprints and add some grip.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely prefer soft touch materials. Like the LG V10 or Blackberry KEYᵒⁿᵉ. My second choice would be metal and in 200th place, would be glass 😃 While it's very nice to look at, it's just a smudge magnet and cracks so easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital