.. I gotta believe the future is going to software/services and AI. Personal assistants, IMO, are really where differences will be made in the coming years.

I use Google Assistant daily and it keeps getting better and better it seems. It's really top of it's competition, though Cortana seems to be really good too. Siri, just looks pitiful when compared to those competitors.

https://www.stonetemple.com/digital-...ssistants-test

My question is, even though this is AC, is anyone using Cortana on Android? Better yet, do many Android users here engage any assistant at all?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-11-2017 12:42 PM
    I haven't used the assistants as I still feel funny talking to my phone especially when other people are around. I can see the usefulness they can provide.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    06-11-2017 12:46 PM
    I haven't used the assistants as I still feel funny talking to my phone especially when other people are around. I can see the usefulness they can provide.
    Indeed. Also, I should've clarified that I carry a Pixel. They've made improvements to GA and you can now type your inquiries instead of having to speak out loud. It's gotten a lot more convenient since there are times, like in a waiting room or lobby, when discretion can be important.
    kbz1960 and sfoLAX like this.
    06-11-2017 01:05 PM
    I don't use any assistants on my phone (they're actually disabled) or have any interest in a stand alone one (ex. Google Home, Alexa). I'm just not a fan of talking to a device to get it to do something. Also not comfortable with the data collection they often need to do in order to learn and do their thing. It's also just creepy to me that it's sitting there always listening for a keyword. The whole machine learning thing is creepy to me anyway. Makes me think of HAL 9000, "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." or something worse like Skynet. LOL
    06-11-2017 01:15 PM
    I don't use GA often.

I sometimes use it to set reminders, check the weather and stuff like that, but I never actually engage in some sort of conversation with it.
    06-11-2017 01:16 PM
    I don't use any assistants on my phone (they're actually disabled) or have any interest in a stand alone one (ex. Google Home, Alexa). I'm just not a fan of talking to a device to get it to do something. Also not comfortable with the data collection they often need to do in order to learn and do their thing. It's also just creepy to me that it's sitting there always listening for a keyword. The whole machine learning thing is creepy to me anyway. Makes me think of HAL 9000, "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." or something worse like Skynet. LOL
    LOL!! I get that... and you're right you do have to let it into your life for it to be most effective. I understand why many people aren't comfortable with that, yet. I've always taken the "other side of the coin", so to speak. Trying to stay anonymous with technology is a losing battle, so better the devil I know, than the devil I don't.
    VN750 likes this.
    06-11-2017 01:36 PM
    I don't use GA often.

I sometimes use it to set reminders, check the weather and stuff like that, but I never actually engage in some sort of conversation with it.
    I started out that way as well... Then I started to push for more information to see if it could help me be more efficient. "where's the closest Post Office to me?" Where's the closest (my bank) ATM from my location?" " What year did Julius Caesar die?"

Granted, there are other ways to get that information, but I wanted to see if GA could extract that information for me as a single point of contact.
    06-11-2017 01:41 PM
    I guess, I'm more wondering what the next ten years in mobile and technology are going to look like. I can't see it being about hardware as much. Phones and market share feel like their at a mature stage. The differences on that side of the equation are becoming razor thin.

So if it's not going to be devices that make the big differences any more, then the impact has from come from somewhere else. Differentiation has to look differently to the consumer besides screen ratios and camera color hues. How will a technology company set itself apart going forward, ya know?
    06-11-2017 01:56 PM
    I'm also this way inclined ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I prefer to just use Google search and type in my questions. As soon as I say 'OK Google' to my phone, my family or anyone around me always look at me and I know they thinking 'what silly question are you going to ask this time' LOL ๐Ÿ˜„

It's definitely really awesome and perfect for when my hands are frozen and I need to send a message or set an alarm for something so I hope we continue to see assistants improve.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-2017 01:56 PM
    LOL!! I get that... and you're right you do have to let it into your life for it to be most effective. I understand why many people aren't comfortable with that, yet. I've always taken the "other side of the coin", so to speak. Trying to stay anonymous with technology is a losing battle, so better the devil I know, than the devil I don't.
    Personally I'm not a fan of vocal interactions with online services, I'm just now getting comfortable with touch interfaces really. My preference is still a keyboard and mouse. It's not about staying anonymous, it's about my preferred interface with online services.
    VN750 and sfoLAX like this.
    06-11-2017 03:10 PM
    Personally I'm not a fan of vocal interactions with online services, I'm just now getting comfortable with touch interfaces really. My preference is still a keyboard and mouse. It's not about staying anonymous, it's about my preferred interface with online services.
    What's nice is that you can interact either way, now. So, when I'm in the kitchen or have my hands full but realize I need to buy something, it's a voice reminder to put whatever on my shopping list. Then, when I get to the store, I pull it up by touch. I was so glad when they added the keyboard interface. It's a little thing, but it does make a huge difference.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-11-2017 03:46 PM
    I don't care for the voice commands, I don't use them often. I tell Google to call someone while driving so I don't need to look at my screen and that's about it.
    Inders99 and DMP89145 like this.
    06-11-2017 03:49 PM
    I use GA and it's very responsive comparing with Siri, Google giving a tough fight to Siri but talking about daily use GA is very much popular now a days and i'm huge fan of GA.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-12-2017 01:53 AM
    I sometimes use Assistant, especially if I want to send a text quickly. But I don't use it as much as I probably should.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-13-2017 09:18 PM
    I sometimes use Assistant, especially if I want to send a text quickly. But I don't use it as much as I probably should.
    Why do you think that you don't use it more..? Just don't like voice commands or something else?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-13-2017 10:12 PM
    Not interested yet. Somehow, I don't want to relinquish my life to a box or machine. I good for using technology in many areas but I sort of draw a line...for now anyway.

Also I'm usually a late adopter, I'll jump in when all the kinks are worked out, I'm too busy to be a beta test for another company.
    06-14-2017 05:12 AM
    Why do you think that you don't use it more..? Just don't like voice commands or something else?
    I found that, at least on my Honor 8, voice commands would interfere with my Facebook Messenger voice messaging system. My brother is out of the country for work and so I need Facebook Messenger to be able to send voice messages and potentially make phone calls... So I disabled voice commands for the most part. Kind of unfortunate because I was starting to enjoy the experience, but Brother trumps pretty much anything and everything. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-14-2017 07:47 AM
    I use GA all the time. Maybe this group can help me with a problem I posted in the S7 forum with no replies. About a couple weeks ago GA is repeating it's last verbal response every time I wake up my phone now. Eg. If I set a reminder it now says "Reminder Saved" until I open GA again and force close it... Driving me nuts... Is this a one off or something broken after an update?
    06-14-2017 07:55 AM
    I think the rest of the tech industry agrees. This is the reason why Amazon, Google, and Apple is rumored to have some kind of assistant technology.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    06-14-2017 09:53 AM
    I don't even like talking on a phone, much less talking to a phone. I'll use Gboard for Google Now, but never any voice commands.
    sfoLAX, DMP89145 and Inders99 like this.
    06-14-2017 10:18 AM
    I use voice commands over Bluetooth almost exclusively on my MXPE. I love the Moto voice feature.... which is what will most likely keep me buying Moto phones.
    My phone almost never comes out of my pocket or gets moved much...... so screen on time is minimal, and the phone is mostly in doze mode, which gives me incredible battery life.
    Plus much less chance of dropping it ;-)
    Laura Knotek and DMP89145 like this.
    06-15-2017 05:06 AM
    .. I gotta believe the future is going to software/services and AI. Personal assistants, IMO, are really where differences will be made in the coming years.

I use Google Assistant daily and it keeps getting better and better it seems. It's really top of it's competition, though Cortana seems to be really good too. Siri, just looks pitiful when compared to those competitors.

https://www.stonetemple.com/digital-...ssistants-test

My question is, even though this is AC, is anyone using Cortana on Android? Better yet, do many Android users here engage any assistant at all?
    Nope, I don't engage with any Virtual Assistants, I don't feel the need to.
    DMP89145 and Inders99 like this.
    06-16-2017 07:42 AM
    I use voice commands over Bluetooth almost exclusively on my MXPE. I love the Moto voice feature.... which is what will most likely keep me buying Moto phones.
    My phone almost never comes out of my pocket or gets moved much...... so screen on time is minimal, and the phone is mostly in doze mode, which gives me incredible battery life.
    Plus much less chance of dropping it ;-)
    Your usage is very interesting to me. That type of engagement is representative of the direction that I see things progressing. Taking things a step further.. I believe MXPE got Nougat last month or April sometime maybe.. Since then, have you tried GA or stayed with Moto Voice primarily?

If Google's idea is that your personal assistant across all devices at some point, does the concept of that appeal to a user like you? So, adding a Google Home speaker perhaps..?
    06-16-2017 02:10 PM
    Thank you!

Thank you all.

I am not the only one who feels weird talking into machines.

I'm much worse than Laura.
    I can't control or feel my other senses or be aware of my surroundings even when I am talking to a human on the phone.

(although I have managed to call on an earpiece without crashing my car).

With everyone voice searching this, and bluetoothing that, I was considering finding another planet.

I am not alone. Hallelujah!
    DMP89145 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-19-2017 01:15 PM