Anyone interested in a Subscription?

Interested in a Subscription?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Starting a poll to see if anyone else would be interested in some kind of monthly subscription.

I am going to leave the price point empty for right now. If you are interested, you can put a price range that would be comfortable to you.

By all means, spread this around. Link to your friends. If we can show that we are interested in a subscription, the ads might be reduced or even eliminated.

giphy.jpg

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, it would be nice to not have adds but to be honest I'm ok with the current amount of adds. Not really interested in any monthly subscription to get rid of them. 😃

However, If there was an option for a subscription, maybe $1.49 would be fair to remove all adds??

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd honestly be interested if the rates were reasonable.

But I feel that the number of obnoxious "in-your-face" ads need to be reduced first before some sort of subscription model can be added. Just kinda feels a little bit like a paywall if we keep those obnoxious ones in place.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
No I wouldn't be interested, not just here but for any mobile tech site as there isn't really a product or service provided that I feel is worth the cost of a subscription or in dealing with setting one up and/or maintaining it.

Something to also consider is the site would have a cost in setting up, administering and maintaining a subscription model. The functionality would have to be built into the site so it could recognize when a subscriber is logged in which also means the site would need the ability to track whether a member has a subscription or not as well as the subscription status (ex. paid, expired, balance remaining, etc.). There would also be a need for a payment system to be set up. Then there is a customer service need to support any issues that may arise in the event any of that functionality breaks or simply when a subscriber wants to cancel their subscription or if there's a discrepancy/dispute with any charges.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No I wouldn't be interested, not just here but for any mobile tech site as there isn't really a product or service provided that I feel is worth the cost of a subscription or in dealing with setting one up and/or maintaining it.

Something to also consider is the site would have a cost in setting up, administering and maintaining a subscription model. The functionality would have to be built into the site so it could recognize when a subscriber is logged in which also means the site would need the ability to track whether a member has a subscription or not as well as the subscription status (ex. paid, expired, balance remaining, etc.). There would also be a need for a payment system to be set up. Then there is a customer service need to support any issues that may arise in the event any of that functionality breaks or simply when a subscriber wants to cancel their subscription or if there's a discrepancy/dispute with any charges.
Nailed it!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Nailed it!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

A lot of companies will just outsource all this to Google Contributor or similar services.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
A lot of companies will just outsource all this to Google Contributor or similar services.

That's possible but not a very good solution. Reason being it does not provide much of a solution for those of us who use a system wide blocking hosts file. In the case of Android Police I simply got annoyed by the constant pop-ups so stopped visiting their website all together.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's possible but not a very good solution. Reason being it does not provide much of a solution for those of us who use a system wide blocking hosts file. In the case of Android Police I simply got annoyed by the constant pop-ups so stopped visiting their website all together.

So you signed up for contributor and it still gave you popups?

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
So you signed up for contributor and it still gave you popups?

No reason to sign up for that service as for starters it requires you to be signed into your Google account while browsing, something I NEVER do! Even if you do it's not going to recognize the system wide hosts file. It's expecting that you're using a browser specific extension to block ads.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
No reason to sign up for that service as for starters it requires you to be signed into your Google account while browsing, something I NEVER do! Even if you do it's not going to recognize the system wide hosts file. It's expecting that you're using a browser specific extension to block ads.

Why? Are you always using public computers or incognito mode? 🤔

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Hate, hate, hate the subscription model for everything. Just today I noticed that some subscription renewed that I didn't want and now I have another year of the publication that I don't want. But, there was no way to get the few issues I wanted, so I subscribed. I will not, repeat not, pay for a subscription to any website.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Specifically on this site - you need to be registered AND signed in to comment on articles or post in the forums (well, for the most part), so the requirement to be signed in to get the ads stripped is somewhat moot as most people that are interested enough in posting to the forums or commenting on articles are going to stay signed in anyway. At that point, it's not so hard since the site sees your account anyway.

I'm for it, I'd sign up for it if the cost was reasonable. I actually wish more sites would offer this type of deal (besides the major newspapers that have a pay-wall).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae