View Poll Results: Interested in a Subscription?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

7 41.18%
  • Maybe, depends on the cost

6 35.29%
  • Yes

0 0%
  • Shut up and take my money!!!

4 23.53%
10-05-2017 05:37 AM
29 12
tools
    Starting a poll to see if anyone else would be interested in some kind of monthly subscription.

I am going to leave the price point empty for right now. If you are interested, you can put a price range that would be comfortable to you.

By all means, spread this around. Link to your friends. If we can show that we are interested in a subscription, the ads might be reduced or even eliminated.

Anyone interested in a Subscription?-giphy.jpg
    Aquila, Matty and Morty2264 like this.
    06-13-2017 02:22 PM
    Yes, monthly or annual, no ads and no trackers, etc. Do it. Do eet nao.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-13-2017 02:43 PM
    Hmm, it would be nice to not have adds but to be honest I'm ok with the current amount of adds. Not really interested in any monthly subscription to get rid of them. 😃

However, If there was an option for a subscription, maybe $1.49 would be fair to remove all adds??
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-13-2017 02:46 PM
    Shut up and take my money!!!
    Aquila and Golfdriver97 like this.
    06-13-2017 02:59 PM
    Android Police is $.02 per article on their blog; they don't have a forum that I know of to compare to.
    06-13-2017 03:26 PM
    I'd honestly be interested if the rates were reasonable.

But I feel that the number of obnoxious "in-your-face" ads need to be reduced first before some sort of subscription model can be added. Just kinda feels a little bit like a paywall if we keep those obnoxious ones in place.
    06-13-2017 07:46 PM
    No I wouldn't be interested, not just here but for any mobile tech site as there isn't really a product or service provided that I feel is worth the cost of a subscription or in dealing with setting one up and/or maintaining it.

Something to also consider is the site would have a cost in setting up, administering and maintaining a subscription model. The functionality would have to be built into the site so it could recognize when a subscriber is logged in which also means the site would need the ability to track whether a member has a subscription or not as well as the subscription status (ex. paid, expired, balance remaining, etc.). There would also be a need for a payment system to be set up. Then there is a customer service need to support any issues that may arise in the event any of that functionality breaks or simply when a subscriber wants to cancel their subscription or if there's a discrepancy/dispute with any charges.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-13-2017 08:07 PM
    I'd be a buyer at a reasonable price...
    gendo667 likes this.
    06-16-2017 06:52 PM
    might be interested
    06-20-2017 03:43 PM
    No I wouldn't be interested, not just here but for any mobile tech site as there isn't really a product or service provided that I feel is worth the cost of a subscription or in dealing with setting one up and/or maintaining it.

Something to also consider is the site would have a cost in setting up, administering and maintaining a subscription model. The functionality would have to be built into the site so it could recognize when a subscriber is logged in which also means the site would need the ability to track whether a member has a subscription or not as well as the subscription status (ex. paid, expired, balance remaining, etc.). There would also be a need for a payment system to be set up. Then there is a customer service need to support any issues that may arise in the event any of that functionality breaks or simply when a subscriber wants to cancel their subscription or if there's a discrepancy/dispute with any charges.
    Nailed it!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-25-2017 04:59 PM

Nailed it!

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy
    A lot of companies will just outsource all this to Google Contributor or similar services.
    06-25-2017 05:35 PM
    A lot of companies will just outsource all this to Google Contributor or similar services.
    That's possible but not a very good solution. Reason being it does not provide much of a solution for those of us who use a system wide blocking hosts file. In the case of Android Police I simply got annoyed by the constant pop-ups so stopped visiting their website all together.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-25-2017 05:44 PM
    That's possible but not a very good solution. Reason being it does not provide much of a solution for those of us who use a system wide blocking hosts file. In the case of Android Police I simply got annoyed by the constant pop-ups so stopped visiting their website all together.
    So you signed up for contributor and it still gave you popups?
    06-25-2017 05:58 PM
    So you signed up for contributor and it still gave you popups?
    No reason to sign up for that service as for starters it requires you to be signed into your Google account while browsing, something I NEVER do! Even if you do it's not going to recognize the system wide hosts file. It's expecting that you're using a browser specific extension to block ads.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-25-2017 06:10 PM
    Oh well, I'm still against getting charged for visiting my favorite Android site.
    06-25-2017 06:48 PM
    No reason to sign up for that service as for starters it requires you to be signed into your Google account while browsing, something I NEVER do! Even if you do it's not going to recognize the system wide hosts file. It's expecting that you're using a browser specific extension to block ads.
    Why? Are you always using public computers or incognito mode? 🤔
    06-25-2017 07:09 PM
    I'd be a buyer at a reasonable price...
    +1.
    06-26-2017 04:55 AM
    Hate, hate, hate the subscription model for everything. Just today I noticed that some subscription renewed that I didn't want and now I have another year of the publication that I don't want. But, there was no way to get the few issues I wanted, so I subscribed. I will not, repeat not, pay for a subscription to any website.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-12-2017 04:28 PM
    I'd be interested, for sure!
    07-15-2017 07:56 PM

Specifically on this site - you need to be registered AND signed in to comment on articles or post in the forums (well, for the most part), so the requirement to be signed in to get the ads stripped is somewhat moot as most people that are interested enough in posting to the forums or commenting on articles are going to stay signed in anyway. At that point, it's not so hard since the site sees your account anyway.

I'm for it, I'd sign up for it if the cost was reasonable. I actually wish more sites would offer this type of deal (besides the major newspapers that have a pay-wall).
    DMP89145 likes this.
    07-31-2017 12:42 PM

You are right on point.
    09-08-2017 09:12 AM
    Wouldn't be interested as I don't use any mobile device to access site. I either use laptop (W7pro) or desktop (Linux Mint)

It's too damn hard to type on a mobile, and after a fiasco with my new phone (trying to talk a login for a keyboard) I don't want to use a mobile.
    09-25-2017 08:50 AM
    Wouldn't be interested as I don't use any mobile device to access site. I either use laptop (W7pro) or desktop (Linux Mint)

It's too damn hard to type on a mobile, and after a fiasco with my new phone (trying to talk a login for a keyboard) I don't want to use a mobile.
    Why would it be mobile only?
    09-25-2017 08:58 AM
    Thought I saw an advert for "download our app"
    That seems to make one think that an app is the only way to communicate here.
    09-25-2017 04:50 PM
    Thought I saw an advert for "download our app"
    That seems to make one think that an app is the only way to communicate here.
    Not really, it's just adding convenience the same as many other sites have done to support the "mobile" crowd.
    09-25-2017 04:56 PM
29 12