What will be the next big thing in smartphones?

Luis Angulo

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Right now a big part of the top tech we use today is related with phones, and we're seeing new features in the smartphone world quite regularly.

In my opinion, it will be related with hardware, not software, and if I have to take a chance I'd say it will be in the camera... so, what are you expecting in the near future?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To be able to point the camera at something and be told what it is....a particular species of plant or animal, for example.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
Foldable screens. In the short term Samsung is set to produce the Galaxy X, long term we will eventually see something like the phone and/or tablet from HBO's Westworld.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
On the hardware side, I think buttons get removed and placed on screen. I think the power port is gone in favor of wireless charging.

That said though, I think the next "big" thing I think will come from the software side of equation. It's software's time to shine for the next decade.

VN750

Banned
May 27, 2017
Visit site
On the hardware side, I think buttons get removed and placed on screen. I think the power port is gone in favor of wireless charging.

That said though, I think the next "big" thing I think will come from the software side of equation. It's software's time to shine for the next decade.

Can't see the power port going away as it's also a data port. It's how the OEM actually loads the operating system and how many still transfer info on/off a device. Not to mention it's still the most effective and efficient way to recharge.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Can't see the power port going away as it's also a data port. It's how the OEM actually loads the operating system and how many still transfer info on/off a device. Not to mention it's still the most effective and efficient way to recharge.

Granted, that's the way it is today. But I can see some version of the same mechanics only via Wj-Fi instead of the hard wire.

Let me be clear, I don't WANT these things. I prefer corded charging, etc. Just thinking that hardware is pretty mature and looking at what's possible to change with what's out there already.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My first thought was triple cameras on the back, that will be even more functional and more efficient than dual cameras!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I really hope we can someday make a smartphone camera do the following. allow us to take say 5 or so photos of someone from all different angles (360 sort of) and then it compiles that into one single photo we can rotate on the screen. 😃

if anyone still plays or remembers Pokémon Go, how you can spin each Pokémon you catch and get a 360 view. That would be awesome to have 😃

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Maybe something really incredible, thought provoking, outside the box...like a phone that won't break when dropped. Seriously, these things get used and most have to put them in an ugly case because the manufacturers think "pretty" is a function. Gimme a break, if all my tools were made like phones I'd have none anymore, and face it, phones are a tool.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Recently some new malware (sorry I forget the name) was discovered on hundreds of apps available in the Playstore. Apple goes to great lengths to keep this junk out of their App Store. If Android is to survive better security is a must and I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Battery life
That is always going to be a thing.

I was feeling nostalgic the other day and took a trip down memory lane, to watch reviews of a few smartphones from between 2006-2008, and Battery Life even back then was a major discussion.

Until the day they make a smartphone that can last at least 2days with HEAVY usage (Constant 4K video playing, heavy 3D gaming, VR, sitting on a LTE network, with display at Full brightness).

The Energy industry has a long way to go. What will help is the acceleration of development of batteries now that we have Electric Cars making a comeback.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Until the day they make a smartphone that can last at least 2days with HEAVY usage (Constant 4K video playing, heavy 3D gaming, VR, sitting on a LTE network, with display at Full brightness)

Why would you want a phone that lasts two days? I think most people would have access to charging at least every night if they are prone to a thing called sleeping. You could make the battery half as big in that case, most don't like lugging around big heavy phones.

Also, If I'm a manufacturer I'm designing for the majority of consumers, not the outliers that stream movies all day...that's where a removable battery would come in handy...but of course we're more concerned with the "looks" of phones rather than practicality these days.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Why would you want a phone that lasts two days? I think most people would have access to charging at least every night if they are prone to a thing called sleeping. You could make the battery half as big in that case, most don't like lugging around big heavy phones.

Also, If I'm a manufacturer I'm designing for the majority of consumers, not the outliers that stream movies all day...that's where a removable battery would come in handy...but of course we're more concerned with the "looks" of phones rather than practicality these days.

Because before smartphones, that's how long phone batteries were lasting. Now granted the phones didn't do as much. It has been well documented that battery technology has hit a wall, I don't need to go into further detail.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Because before smartphones, that's how long phone batteries were lasting. Now granted the phones didn't do as much. It has been well documented that battery technology has hit a wall, I don't need to go into further detail.
I guess one of my points was what reason does a manufacturer develop a phone like that when it's not a critical factor for the majority usage habits?

As battery power goes up so will the apps the require that power...I just don't see 2 day batteries ever.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Next big thing? Not sure to be honest. It seems they're trying to make them paper thin lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon