07-04-2017 12:40 PM
39 12
tools
    Is it necessary? What if the person decides to upgrade or to just not send it out after a year? I still say it's the same. Your theory only applies if someone is going to keep it for a long time. Sure some do.. but some also don't. .
    I fully understand that some people trade phones every year, and some people trade even sooner, but these people aren't the norm.

My theory is really simple, and very factual, all batteries degrade and many degrade really fast. A removable battery that is easily replaced gives anyone a option to keep their phones operating at the optimum level without having to send it anywhere to be replaced or repaired.

I've owned several phones that have had bad batteries in them, and had to go through the hassle of having them replaced with a refurbished one.. And I am not alone in this.

While the Carriers and manufacturers would love to see everyone change phones earlier than necessary, having a replaceable battery is keeping them from getting their way, and why they are pushing sealed backed phones.

All of the bs that has been spewed about needing it to get water resistant phones, thinner designs, glass backs is just that.. BS... just like needing it to have wireless charging too, since Qualcomm already has figured out how to implement this with a metal backed phone.

It's all about their greed and bottom lines and everybody from tech writers to reviewers have fallen for it.

The reality is we can have our cakes and eat them too but we never will get to.

Mac
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-01-2017 11:15 AM
    I fully understand that some people trade phones every year, and some people trade even sooner, but these people aren't the norm.

My theory is really simple, and very factual, all batteries degrade and many degrade really fast. A removable battery that is easily replaced gives anyone a option to keep their phones operating at the optimum level without having to send it anywhere to be replaced or repaired.

I've owned several phones that have had bad batteries in them, and had to go through the hassle of having them replaced with a refurbished one.. And I am not alone in this.

While the Carriers and manufacturers would love to see everyone change phones earlier than necessary, having a replaceable battery is keeping them from getting their way, and why they are pushing sealed backed phones.

All of the bs that has been spewed about needing it to get water resistant phones, thinner designs, glass backs is just that.. BS... just like needing it to have wireless charging too, since Qualcomm already has figured out how to implement this with a metal backed phone.

It's all about their greed and bottom lines and everybody from tech writers to reviewers have fallen for it.

Mac
    BS for you since it isn't a need for you.. but those who actually find it useful don't call it BS.

Odd how things are BS if you don't agree. You honestly can't think that some benefit from such protection ?
    07-01-2017 11:16 AM
    What protection? You mean the kind I can get for about $50.00 and still have a removable battery?

What other protection are you talking about..?

The bs I am talking about is all nonsense about sealing up the phone just to have water resistance, or the bs about having to have a glass back just to have wireless charging...

And you are 100% correct because I don't agree with this, and I know for a fact that I ain't alone in feeling this way.

While being able to snap pictures under water with a cell phone isn't a high priority in my life, I do want it water resistant and plan on sending mine in to have it treated soon, and I don't think that that is BS.. But I do think that the manufacturers reluctance to offer it along with a removable battery certainly is bs... I also feel that having a glass back on something that is easily dropped, and which is promoted over any other material and called "premium" in it's current form is total BS... It's not.. Now if they can come up with a glass back that doesn't shatter... That would be a different story altogether... But don't hold your breath, because they know people who love their glass backed phone will pony up to replace it... Over and over again...

Mac

See.. The problem with you is you don't really have any where to go with your argument... Opps sorry.. Playing the devils advocate...
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-01-2017 01:36 PM
    Why are there so many of the same thread?
    07-01-2017 02:09 PM
    At one time I probably would have said removable type batteries ,even tho I didn't swap batteries out to get a fresh charge
    I had both sealed phones, and those with removable batteries.
    Its been awhile since I had a removable battery type phone(2013).
    I didn't removed the battery,just to put in a fresh battery.
    I never carried around an extra battery, in my pocket when I wasn't home.
    When at home just plugging it in to charge worked for me.

Since times have changed since 2013.
    I would have to vote for the non removable batteries as my opinion in 2017.
    A lot of the phones have quick charging now, so I don't have to really wait just for the battery to charge back up in my sealed phones.I have never yet had to had a battery replaced in my sealed phones

But everyone is different I am all for options. Having a sealed phone,, or a phone with a removable battery isn't a deal breaker in itself for me.But if I had a phone that had a removable battery, I still would not remove it.
    07-01-2017 03:15 PM

Mac
    I do agree with the concepts of this post.
    First, if phone companies don't come out with something, anything new they won't sell phones. Who'd buy the S8 if it's basically the same as the S7? Nobody.
    Second, once the new features are agreed on and the strategy is implemented the marketing arm comes up with the baloney to convince us how it's better and we need to purchase. Thing is, some are not necessarily utilitarian and they benefit the manufactures in the long run with aspects that become obsolete.

Is a curved screen actually better? IMO...no, ever try to put a tempered glass protector on one? Cases look dorky on them too and they have been prone to edge touches. Are they slick looking and a marketers dream...absolutely.

Sealed batteries...I'm not on the ban wagon but this has been beat to a pulp...form wins over function and the marketers triumph with meeting sales projections.

Look behind the spin from the manufacturers.

Proof of this is looking at things that matter like security/updates, managing the Play Store apps, keeping Android System from running wild and chewing up battery power. You'll never hear marketers tout those features since they're not shiny and attractive.

I read Jerry's reasons for the security update cluster and I understand, but that doesn't excuse the fact that aspects of Android are a terrible mess.

I looked forward to Doze and N but how come my battery life is horrible these days? I don't have Facebook, Snap, Twitter, et al, few few apps actually and all from the Play Store. Today I'm at 14% from wake-up at 6:00 am, very little useage and it's ready to crash. Android system is above 20%. This is horrible...never hear the marketers tout those features.

Ugh...Android is soo exasperating sometimes.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-01-2017 03:17 PM
    What protection? You mean the kind I can get for about $50.00 and still have a removable battery?

What other protection are you talking about..?

The bs I am talking about is all nonsense about sealing up the phone just to have water resistance, or the bs about having to have a glass back just to have wireless charging...

And you are 100% correct because I don't agree with this, and I know for a fact that I ain't alone in feeling this way.

While being able to snap pictures under water with a cell phone isn't a high priority in my life, I do want it water resistant and plan on sending mine in to have it treated soon, and I don't think that that is BS.. But I do think that the manufacturers reluctance to offer it along with a removable battery certainly is bs... I also feel that having a glass back on something that is easily dropped, and which is promoted over any other material and called "premium" in it's current form is total BS... It's not.. Now if they can come up with a glass back that doesn't shatter... That would be a different story altogether... But don't hold your breath, because they know people who love their glass backed phone will pony up to replace it... Over and over again...

Mac

See.. The problem with you is you don't really have any where to go with your argument... Opps sorry.. Playing the devils advocate...
    My argument is pretty sound. You said you can have something if you want by sending it off. I said the same thing... But it doesn't fit your needs so you say nope not the same.

I'm done with this thread since it isn't really a discussion anymore. I'm all for a debate but you seem to be in a more "if it's stupid to me then there is no way it's as good so my way or the highway"... Seems to have to fit your narrative that removable batteries are a must over all features just because YOU think that and since you don't like the other features doesn't mean it's instantly crap for everyone else lol.

Cya.
    07-01-2017 08:13 PM
    My argument is pretty sound. You said you can have something if you want by sending it off. I said the same thing... But it doesn't fit your needs so you say nope not the same.

I'm done with this thread since it isn't really a discussion anymore. I'm all for a debate but you seem to be in a more "if it's stupid to me then there is no way it's as good so my way or the highway"... Seems to have to fit your narrative that removable batteries are a must over all features just because YOU think that and since you don't like the other features doesn't mean it's instantly crap for everyone else lol.

Cya.
    Bye
    07-01-2017 09:03 PM
    Now that that's settled.. Back to my original post..

Mac
    07-01-2017 09:21 PM
    You don't have to seal a phone up to make it water resistant...or even water proof. There's TONS of non-sealed electronic devices that have been around FOREVER that are water resistant and water proof.
    That's just a piece of propaganda phone makers use to sell their disposable 1000 dollar phones.

I also guarantee you they don't put the best possible batteries in them either (note 7 anyone?). And they don't warn you about running the battery wayy down then fast charging it all night every night. I wonder why? Lol.

I've kept phones with replaceable batteries for years because I could replace the battery. On these forums I see constant complaints about batteries in sealed phones dying within a year or two.

The way these companies are manipulating us is disgusting.
    07-04-2017 05:12 AM
    Every phone I've had with a sealed battery has had some battery related problem that essentially bricked it. So guess what my view is.
    Inders99 likes this.
    07-04-2017 05:18 AM
    You don't have to seal a phone up to make it water resistant...or even water proof. There's TONS of non-sealed electronic devices that have been around FOREVER that are water resistant and water proof.
    That's just a piece of propaganda phone makers use to sell their disposable 1000 dollar phones.

I also guarantee you they don't put the best possible batteries in them either (note 7 anyone?). And they don't warn you about running the battery wayy down then fast charging it all night every night. I wonder why? Lol.

I've kept phones with replaceable batteries for years because I could replace the battery. On these forums I see constant complaints about batteries in sealed phones dying within a year or two.

I know this is an enthusiast forum but I love the rare viewpoint where someone sees through the marketing baloney that the masses fall for. My wife has a Note 4, still a capable device but ancient by enthusiast standards...just shows how these things are really good for longer than a year or two.
    LemonFoogle203x3 and J Dubbs like this.
    07-04-2017 06:53 AM
    Of course REMOVABLE.

I'm on my second battery for my note 3.... this one has become kinda Ew too in terms of charge time.
    It's got all functions I need, but if I were to buy a new one I'd really want one with removable. Wishing the S8 had removable...

Like @smvim said. Planned obsolescence is not a cool move. I don't wanna swap out a fully functional phone just cuz the battery let me down.

Some others are also saying it's either removable battery or water resistance, or "streamlined" manufacturing process. Water resistance can be done together w removable battery too (like my mom's s5). And manufacturers easing up the production process favors them, not us the customers. Not this way. I don't wanna send in my phone for servicing to just have the battery swapped out (or accidentally messing it up while trying to take it apart at home). That stuff costs nearly as much as a new phone. What a waste (of both money and a good device).

I hope android phones w removable batteries don't become a thing of the past by the time I get to buy a new one. :l
    Inders99, J Dubbs and smvim like this.
    07-04-2017 12:25 PM

x2... It also does not need to be big either. The AC community seems to think removable battery water resistance needs to be big. There is nothing factual to support that at all. There are products in existence today to support the contrary. My sony action camera has basic IPX water resistance without its dive case. There are pilot/aviation enthusiasts who mount it to the OUTSIDE of their planes (without the dive case) and fly it through rain & storm clouds... high speed, high elevation, temperature and pressure variation of all kind. Way more abusive than anything anyone would do to a cell phone. It also feels every bit as "premium" as anything else in the industry. There are bigger / smaller cams of similar type.

URL image links...
    http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pshshhfpmp.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pse3avwif0.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Poll.. Removable battery or fixed-0704171031_zpse3avwif0.jpg  
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-04-2017 12:40 PM
39 12