07-04-2017 01:40 PM
39 12
tools
    I'm curious about this..

If you are able to have a removable/replaceable battery in your current phone without losing anything you have right now.. Would you like to have it over having a fixed one.

You would not have to give up any features that you have on it, the only difference is that one would be removable and easily replaced vs one being non replaceable.

If you vote for the fixed one, please post why if you would please.

Thanks

Mac
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-17-2017 12:46 AM
    I'd prefer removable, though I don't know whether it is in fact easy, or even possible, for the manufacturers to design a removable-battery phone and a fixed-battery phone to be the same in all other respects.
    06-17-2017 05:41 AM
    I've had both, the answer is easy for me...REMOVABLE. Who wouldn't want the ability to go from 0-100% instantly?
    06-17-2017 08:00 AM
    I've had both, the answer is easy for me...REMOVABLE. Who wouldn't want the ability to go from 0-100% instantly?
    I dunno... Lol

But there seems to be a consensus of tech writers and reviewers that removable batteries are no longer wanted... OR needed... and it is better to have a Shiney new sealed glass back phone instead.

Mac
    06-17-2017 08:24 PM
    Without a doubt, user-replaceable for me. I can't imagine not having the freedom to swap out a battery anytime I want to get back to an immediate 100% charge (and not be tied to some charging source) or being able to easily replace a degraded or failing battery (something I've done twice with my Note 4). I refuse to buy into the planned obsolescence of a sealed battery.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-17-2017 09:18 PM
    I'm an advocate for removable batteries, manufacturers who make phones with sealed-in batteries may claim it's to streamline the manufacturing process and cut costs but they also do so as a planned obsolescence policy.

As for the tech media, keep in mind they don't write articles for consumers, they write to appease their editors. Tech writers also don't have to work within the same budgets as most people, their phones are frequently freebies that manufacturers send out. Even for those who do buy their own, those phones are considered to be a job requirement so the costs are tax deductible. As they get a new phone every few months they don't ever have to worry about a batteries use-life so it's a non-issue to them.
    J Dubbs and kramer5150 like this.
    06-17-2017 09:21 PM
    Hmm hard one for me. I love removable batteries. My current phone is the Moto X Pure and the battery is trash now. I'd love to pull it out and replace it.

On the other hand it seems water resistancy is dependent on a sealed in battery which is also an awesome feature...

Hard choice for me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-17-2017 09:36 PM
    I would not want it to be removable, but if my device had removable I would simply not remove it.
    06-22-2017 04:38 PM
    I'm neutral. It's not a feature that I look for in a phone. I can understand why people like having a removable battery.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    06-23-2017 11:35 AM
    I love removable batteries because when the phone gets old and the battery starts to become useless, I can simply put in a replacement and everything is good to go again. 😃 Saves me having to go out and purchase another phone.

However, most phones never get used after 3 years (contracts) so having a non removable battery with a higher mAh size is also very useful.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-23-2017 12:06 PM
    +1 for removable. I like keeping my phone for longer than ~18 months. I will use a phone for as long as it physically works, a removable battery is a must have. I have used phones for as long as 5-6 years... back in the days of removable batteries.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-24-2017 01:52 PM
    Problem is you can't have your phone exactly like it is and have a removable battery, they wouldn't be as thin or be as water resistant. This is the result of people praising the iPhone for years while bashing cheap feeling Android phones.

I prefer removable, but don't really have a choice anymore.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-24-2017 03:45 PM
    I personally owned phones with removable batteries and never bothered to buy a second one so no i don't care for those since i upgrade my device after 2 years. I prefer portable chargers since i can charge everything anywhere (my vaping device, Bluetooth headphones and my phone).
    06-24-2017 03:57 PM
    I prefer non-removable batteries. I haven't had a phone with a removable battery since 2012, and I never swapped batteries in it.
    06-24-2017 04:08 PM
    The only reason I traded in my S7e on the S8 was worry that the battery would give out as they are finite. I see no downside to a removable battery in a phone made to be functional instead of "pretty".
    J Dubbs and Inders99 like this.
    06-24-2017 05:00 PM
    Problem is you can't have your phone exactly like it is and have a removable battery, they wouldn't be as thin or be as water resistant. This is the result of people praising the iPhone for years while bashing cheap feeling Android phones.

Actually.. My v20 is thinner than the s8 and it has a removable battery . While it won't have the water resistant feature out of the box , I can always send it to Liquipel to get some added it to it with their treatment if I wanted.

Mac
    06-25-2017 10:38 AM

Thats a generalization... the LG V10/20 are no thicker or thinner than typical, thicker than some thinner than others. Sealed battery designs do at least advertise higher levels of water resistance. But there are many cases of sealed battery phones leaking. So conversely, sealing a battery inside does not guarantee anything.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-25-2017 12:03 PM
    Actually.. My v20 is thinner than the s8 and it has a removable battery . While it won't have the water resistant feature out of the box , I can always send it to Liquipel to get some added it to it with their treatment if I wanted.

Mac
    To play devil's advocate... Couldn't this argument be used for those who say "after a year or two your battery will be dead and I can buy a new fresh one easily and you can't" ? You could send it off to get it replaced or sometimes even use a local shop.. just like you'd have to do for water resistance.. right?
    06-25-2017 02:20 PM
    I am actually UPSET about this new trend of non-replaceable batteries. Phones are getting more and more powerful, and thus they simply take longer to get slow/oblsolete. I am a person who uses Android devices until they become too weak for snappy speed in any modern software (until they are mostly obsolete, that is). For example, I used my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (now overclocked) since December 2012 and decided to replace it just now by ordering a new hi-end tablet (arriving in a few days). I am actually surprised that I never had to change its battery, but I still am of they opinion that tablets and phones should have user-replaceable batteries. Also, it is plain sad that my beloved Alcatel Idol X+ doesn't have a replaceable battery.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-25-2017 03:02 PM
    I'd definitely go for a removable battery. Super convenient in the case of a freeze/glitch; and easily fixed when your battery is on the fritz.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-27-2017 08:26 PM
    To play devil's advocate... Couldn't this argument be used for those who say "after a year or two your battery will be dead and I can buy a new fresh one easily and you can't" ? You could send it off to get it replaced or sometimes even use a local shop.. just like you'd have to do for water resistance.. right?
    You could say that if you wanted to, but you would be missing the point completely. Adding water resistance is a option IF wanted for anyone, and is non - invasive. Tearing a sealed phone apart to replace a battery isn't a option it's a necessity.... Comparing the 2 is Apples and oranges...

Mac
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-29-2017 08:25 AM
    You could say that if you wanted to, but you would be missing the point completely. Adding water resistance is a option IF wanted for anyone, and is non - invasive. Tearing a sealed phone apart to replace a battery isn't a option it's a necessity.... Comparing the 2 is Apples and oranges...

Mac
    I disagree. You said you could get something like that by sending it off so that solves it .. You could then say the same for wanting to replace the battery (send it off and that solves it).

Both require sending off to get done. Both have to go out and then come back to you so you're without a phone for a short while. I really don't see a difference.

You argue "I can get water resistance by doing this" -- I say "I can get a new battery by doing this" -- you then say nope not the same! .. :P.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-29-2017 11:03 AM
    It's not the same thing other than having to send it out but this is out of context of my meaning .... The reality is the treatment to gain water resistance is a option, having a battery replaced is necessary. I don't have to send my phone out to change the battery in it, nor do I need to run the risk of damaging it trying to dismantle it's sealed back..

Mac
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-30-2017 03:13 PM
    It's not the same thing other than having to send it out but this is out of context of my meaning .... The reality is the treatment to gain water resistance is a option, having a battery replaced is necessary. I don't have to send my phone out to change the battery in it, nor do I need to run the risk of damaging it trying to dismantle it's sealed back..

Mac
    Is it necessary? What if the person decides to upgrade or to just not send it out after a year? I still say it's the same. Your theory only applies if someone is going to keep it for a long time. Sure some do.. but some also don't. .
    07-01-2017 01:30 AM
    With phones reaching the $1000 price point and innovation at marginal levels I think we'll start seeing people hang on to these things a little longer in future...I know I will. I can afford to pay $1000 but my willingness to do so and only get a slightly more advanced phone will keep me in my current S7 for a while now.

However if the utility of the battery becomes compromised before the actual device does then I have a problem with that, one big reason I prefer replaceable batteries.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-01-2017 07:39 AM
39 12