CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees ( CANADA )

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I searched the forums and the main site news, and I am surprised this wasn't NEWS on Android Central. Maybe because it was just for us lowly Canadians. Either way, this is HUGE if you are Canadian.

CRTC bans locked phones and carrier unlocking fees

Chime in fellow Canadians! What do you think of the decision, and what do you think this will mean for future contracts and billing from our mobile providers?

Who is going to call their provider on Dec 1st to have their current device unlocked free?
I know I am!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's certainly important. I've often thought that carriers ought to be required to unlock phones after two years. That makes it so much easier for subsequent buyers, should the owner decide to sell or donate. For all I know that does happen in some countries, but certainly not in the UK, where I am. Go Canada.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's certainly important. I've often thought that carriers ought to be required to unlock phones after two years. That makes it so much easier for subsequent buyers, should the owner decide to sell or donate. For all I know that does happen in some countries, but certainly not in the UK, where I am. Go Canada.

Ya agreed, I mean this is WAY better, but I agree that after the 2 year contract is up, I should not have to pay for unlocking. That should have been the case ages ago.
But again, this is even better!

I am just curious what all the "Mobile Unlocking" businesses in Canada are going to do now?!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
In the UK, the 3 network, which I use, does not lock its phones, and so far as I know that's been the case for several years. You still have to pay for your contract one way or another, and I'm guessing most customers would feel little incentive to pay off the phone early and switch to another network. If they were to move to another area and there were signal problems, it might be another matter, but the 3 way of doing things obviously makes everything easier. It must work okay otherwise 3 would have stopped doing it.

As an afterthought, I wonder how this will affect iPhones, which can sometimes be virtually unlockable. The CRTC may be taking on Apple here. :)

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
In the UK, the 3 network, which I use, does not lock its phones, and so far as I know that's been the case for several years. You still have to pay for your contract one way or another, and I'm guessing most customers would feel little incentive to pay off the phone early and switch to another network. If they were to move to another area and there were signal problems, it might be another matter, but the 3 way of doing things obviously makes everything easier. It must work okay otherwise 3 would have stopped doing it.

As an afterthought, I wonder how this will affect iPhones, which can sometimes be virtually unlockable. The CRTC may be taking on Apple here. :)

Not quite sure what you mean? Any iphone bought direct through apple is factory unlocked. It's the provider that chooses to lock them. So this shouldn't effect anything. As fast as I can see

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(^ ^ I had in mind the non-Apple-bought iPhones that lock to the first carrier, which so far as I know is an Apple thing. If so, that will have to stop.

Also, a friend has a couple of used iPhones that cannot be unlocked even if the carrier requests it of Apple, because the original account holder needs to initiate the request rather than a current user. I helped untangle it and could be wrong but to the best of my understanding Apple will refuse an unlock in such circumstances.)

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Canadian Telecom Commission Puts an End to Locked Cellphones and Unlocking Fees

Found this article on XDA Developers. Thought it was worth sharing:

Canadian Telecom Commission Puts an End to Locked Cellphones and Unlocking Fees

Come on American carriers, get your sh*%t together!

I understand your comments in regards to this decision by the FCC here in Canada. When I first heard this decision I was floored as the FCC usually doesn't rule in favor of the consumer here in Canada. Which is why we pay some of the highest plan prices in the world for cellular services. Our big 3 providers are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to losing some of their gouging that they do to us consumers.

When your plan ends with your provider and you own the phone it should be unlocked for free. But our cellular providers charge the consumer $50 to unlock a phone they now own. The big 3 providers are making $34,000,000 a year by doing this to the consumer.

I'm sure our providers will whine and fight it in court for sure. But it is pure profit for them. This is why I have always purchased my phones outright and unlocked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon