Google Services paired with Apple Hardware

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a LG G6 and am curious about the experience of Google Services paired with an Iphone.

I am aware of the obvious, iOS doesn't allow widgets, customization, and freedom like Android argument. I'm beyond that. What I like about iPhones are their durability, repairability, and no hassle/quick repairs in-store under Apple care.

Can anyone chime in with their own experiences as far as using Google's cornerstone apps such as Play Music, Gmail, Home, Photos, and Chrome?

I'm interested in an iPhone to stay abreast of iOS and its features.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually contemplating picking up an iPad to replace my Android tablet as there just isn't a great selection of Android tablets.

One thing I have heard is that the iOS devices interface "famously" with Google services. They work VERY well. The one sticking point for me - and maybe it'll be the push away from Chrome that I need - is that you can't change the default browser from Safari. This means that any links open in Safari rather than Chrome.

My plan is to grab one from an Apple store next week, mid-late week, so I can play with it during vacation the following week and decide if it's the direction I want to go. On the plus side (for me) the resale value is VERY good so if Google decides to drop a new Pixel tablet I can sell the iPad and grab that if it looks good.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a LG G6 and am curious about the experience of Google Services paired with an Iphone.

I am aware of the obvious, iOS doesn't allow widgets, customization, and freedom like Android argument. I'm beyond that. What I like about iPhones are their durability, repairability, and no hassle/quick repairs in-store under Apple care.

Can anyone chime in with their own experiences as far as using Google's cornerstone apps such as Play Music, Gmail, Home, Photos, and Chrome?

I'm interested in an iPhone to stay abreast of iOS and its features.

I use an iPad and iPhone along with Google services and they work great. Obviously they won't be as deeply integrated as what they would be on an android device, but I have actually found most to look and work better than on android. Google loves to keep their apps on IOS updated and updated often so you won't be missing out on much if you switch to IOS and use Google apps.
Here are some articles discussing it https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-all-google-experience-on-the-iphon-1740638647
I’ve made the iPhone 6s into my dream Android phone – BGR
https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/8/1...-android-motion-stills-gboard-search-hangouts

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually contemplating picking up an iPad to replace my Android tablet as there just isn't a great selection of Android tablets.

One thing I have heard is that the iOS devices interface "famously" with Google services. They work VERY well. The one sticking point for me - and maybe it'll be the push away from Chrome that I need - is that you can't change the default browser from Safari. This means that any links open in Safari rather than Chrome.

My plan is to grab one from an Apple store next week, mid-late week, so I can play with it during vacation the following week and decide if it's the direction I want to go. On the plus side (for me) the resale value is VERY good so if Google decides to drop a new Pixel tablet I can sell the iPad and grab that if it looks good.

I wish Google would make a 7" pixel tablet as a true successor to the nexus 7.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I switch back and forth a lot and have no problems and I use just about the full suite of google apps. One thing that is annoying, is that you do have to sign into each individual app instead of just signing in once on Android. But that's to be expected.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I switch back and forth a lot and have no problems and I use just about the full suite of google apps. One thing that is annoying, is that you do have to sign into each individual app instead of just signing in once on Android. But that's to be expected.

Are we talking about an individual sign-in 1 time (until signed out or factory reset) or each time the device restarts?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
FWIW I had no problems with google maps, youtube, google mail or chrome on my iphone 5C. They all ran flawlessly.

I didn't use google drive at all though, but since its just basic cloud storage upload / download I would not expect it to be too troublesome.

I had problems playing AVI video files in iOS. I have some old TV sitcom episodes (~13-14 year old codecs) in AVI that I could never get to play correctly on the iPhone.

I also can't stand iTunes (to put it very politely) as a file management portal. (this is more of a side-bar comment though, and not specific for/against anything in Google)