Has your feelings changed about the headphone jack?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
In theory, the space used by the jack can be used for other things.
Removing the jack also helps with water resistance.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely refuse to buy a phone without a headphone jack. There's no reason to remove it. Manufacturers can claim they're using the space for other things, but the trade-off clearly hasn't been worth it to the consumer.

The manufacturer can save money while charging us the same or higher price.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I still prefer having it. I do use Bluetooth in my work truck simply because I don't want to run the aux wire every day, but I still run it wired to my car stereo or doing yard work. I like it for sound quality and that it works 100% of the time.

For those with Bluetooth battery concerns, look at the Blue Parrot line of headsets from VXi. I use one at work and I charge it maybe once a week. If I were using it heavily, then maybe every 2-3 days. They have a massive battery, not to mention the best noise cancellation for calls out there.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
In theory, the space used by the jack can be used for other things.
Removing the jack also helps with water resistance.

Maybe in theory this is true but in the real world... its not.

iPhones have fewer hardware features than any other phone. So whatever they are doing with that space, its not for other things.
Phones can and may leak, IPX is just a water resistance standard... nothing more. Whether or not there is a headphone jack makes no difference.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have never used the headphone jack in any of my phones.
People at my job love meetings, so I have conference calls almost daily, my Bluetooth headset is great for that purpose.
On days at work when I'm bored, it's also great for music.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I barely use the 3.5 mm jack anyway, and the cases where I do it would be easy to substitute Bluetooth or Cast. I don't mind having it, but the idea of not having it doesn't really bother me either. It's all down to preference and use case; I understand why it's important to some people, and I'm not about to tell them they're wrong to want one. I just don't care very much personally.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its to keep people from complaining about not having a high quality DAC in their phones.

Personally the only reason I see for Android phones to remove the headphone jack is so they can be more like Apple. No logical or design reasons to remove the jack. People say for bigger batteries, but I don't see big batteries in these phones. The removal is not for weatherproofing. I guess everyone wants to be like Apple.

johnnysd

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the headphone jack is an essential feature anymore.

I just find that baffling. Yes, some people use BT, and there is an adapter. But neither solution is the best or most economical solution. I would think that 80% or more of the customer base would think headphone jack is actually an important feature. If there was a benefit to not having it, then sure. But there isn't. It just seems hostile to customers. And Samsung and LG fit it just fine.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I just find that baffling. Yes, some people use BT, and there is an adapter. But neither solution is the best or most economical solution. I would think that 80% or more of the customer base would think headphone jack is actually an important feature. If there was a benefit to not having it, then sure. But there isn't. It just seems hostile to customers. And Samsung and LG fit it just fine.
Yes, but Apple dropped it and so Google follows Apple. No logical reason to remove the jack. Also, Google likes Apple's pricing model. No SD Card support so they can get people to pay a lot more for a few dollars of memory. Got to raise their ASP.

Revelation Sound

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
The sound quality of hard wired is always better than Bluetooth plus there is no delay if your watching a movie or video. Now with phones like the LG V30 with its pre amp built into the headphone jack, the quality of audio through a phone has never been better.

So for me I want the headphone jack. As all phones have Bluetooth as well, depending on your situation you have the option of either. I also don't like Apple forcing us to open go their way. I like having the option so you also don't have to worry a out battery drain on Bluetooth headphones.

Hoomkerty

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
The sound quality of hard wired is always better than Bluetooth plus there is no delay if your watching a movie or video. Now with phones like the LG V30 with its pre amp built into the headphone jack, the quality of audio through a phone has never been better.

So for me I want the headphone jack. As all phones have Bluetooth as well, depending on your situation you have the option of either. I also don't like Apple forcing us to open go their way. I like having the option so you also don't have to worry a out battery drain on Bluetooth headphones.

I want the headphone jack. but for iPhone , we can't force it , isn't it ?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm really hunting for my next phone, I gotta say, the lack of a headphone jack is still kind of a minus. Perhaps not a dealbreaker, but still a bit of a disappointment.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I still prefer phones with a headphone jack for that added choice.

But after getting my new pair of Sony WH-1000XM2s recently, it's becoming an easier pill to swallow.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My opinion on the headset jack hasn't changed. I like the option of being able to use wired or wireless headsets. I use my headset jack almost every day; listening to FM radio at work with my wired headphones that serve as an antenna.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My opinion on the headset jack hasn't changed. I like the option of being able to use wired or wireless headsets. I use my headset jack almost every day; listening to FM radio at work with my wired headphones that serve as an antenna.

Headphone jacks are certainly a priority for many people. It is a necessary sacrifice for me but that doesn't mean I won't miss it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown