09-19-2018 07:14 PM
89 ... 234
tools
    I work in IT and most of us use Macbook Pros in my office. One of the newer members of our team has been provided with one of the new macbooks with usb-c all over it. Same thing is happening to it. Ports becoming loose.

The problem with that is when she tries to plug in any displays, she has to keep unplugging it and putting it back in until the displays actually work.

I do miss micro-usb
    USB-type C is not the problem... Its actually great hardware that you can do a lot with. The problem is making it the only option to do everything with! One of the many reasons I'm against eliminating the 3.5mm headphone/AUX jack. It basically makes the USB-C the only input/output & you have to use it for everything not just charging. So the constant plugging/unplugging and/or keeping a dongle plugged in at all times makes the port so loose it renders it useless over time.
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-10-2018 04:11 AM
    USB-type C is not the problem... Its actually great hardware that you can do a lot with. The problem is making it the only option to do everything with! One of the many reasons I'm against eliminating the 3.5mm headphone/AUX jack. It basically makes the USB-C the only input/output & you have to use it for everything not just charging. So the constant plugging/unplugging and/or keeping a dongle plugged in at all times makes the port so loose it renders it useless over time.
    This is true. I do recognise the merits of USB-C, but if you're someone who only uses it to charge a phone (HTC 10) and it still comes loose after about 1 year? There's an obvious problem there IMO, when directly compared to Micro-usb longevity.

Functionality means nothing when we can't even have reliability.
    KP8819 likes this.
    05-10-2018 04:18 AM
    This is true. I do recognise the merits of USB-C, but if you're someone who only uses it to charge a phone (HTC 10) and it still comes loose after about 1 year? There's an obvious problem there IMO, when directly compared to Micro-usb longevity.

Yeah, that definitely should not be happening if you're only using it for charging. I haven't come across that issue thankfully- I do try to use wireless charging when I can and did even when I had a Micro USB so the port wouldn't wear out.
    05-10-2018 04:27 AM
    Yeah, that definitely should not be happening if you're only using it for charging. I haven't come across that issue thankfully- I do try to use wireless charging when I can and did even when I had a Micro USB so the port wouldn't wear out.
    To be honest, it started getting worse after using a cheap chinese USB-C charger, so I reckon that exacerbated the problem - but definitely wasn't the sole cause. I can't even pick it up while it's charging without the cable dropping out. VERY frustrating.

A friend of mine has the Galaxy S8 and while his USB-C isn't TOO loose yet, his rapid charging fails to work most of the time. I have the same problem with my HTC.

Wireless charging is definitely a good call right now, but it further narrows your upgrade options. I've never had such a difficult time deciding on my next phone in all my time using them.
    05-10-2018 04:39 AM
    I do miss micro-usb
    I'm the reverse. I'd wear out micro-USB cables in a heartbeat, but my USB-C cables are lasting much longer. Never had an issue with the ports themselves, though.
    05-10-2018 05:55 AM
    If you don't care about music quality no need for a jack. Just spend at least twice as much for quality headphones.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    05-10-2018 10:31 AM
    So true!
    KP8819 likes this.
    05-10-2018 10:33 AM

I would blame HTC more then USB-C ... Just saying.
    05-11-2018 09:53 AM
    No need for headphone jack if you don't listen to music.
    05-11-2018 01:12 PM
    Nope, has not changed 1 bit. I want the 3.5mm jack up until BT Audio can get to the best levels of Wired, until then, miss me with that 3.5mm jack removal BS.
    Exactly.
    05-11-2018 01:13 PM
    09-18-2018 09:29 PM
    No. As much as I love Bluetooth there will be moments where I will want or need the 3.5mm Jack.

Question is why can't we have both? Silly and is it really necessary or was this just about Apple buying Beats or Apple being Apple and everyone has to follow them.
    09-19-2018 02:13 PM
    I have the LG V30 and love the extra Hifi option it has. No concern of charging a headset or connection with Bluetooth. No latency either
    09-19-2018 07:03 PM
    I use Bluetooth and my headphone jack on a regular basis.

I use a Bluetooth speaker at work and own Bluetooth headphones that I use some days. However I use my audio jack daily in the car, and the headphones I prefer around the house and use when running require my jack.

I've got little interest in a phone without a headphone jack.
    09-19-2018 07:14 PM
89 ... 234