Has your feelings changed about the headphone jack?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's someone here I've done a few deals with in the past...so it was all good. It's a nice phone, really. If the camera was a bit better I would have used it as my daily driver. It's not a horrible camera at all, but you know how the Pixel 2 can spoil you photography wise...

Absolutely! It can do that, for sure.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely! It can do that, for sure.
It certainly has for me. I think the Mi Mix 2's camera is about 60% of the Pixel 2. If it was 75%, I'd retire the Pixel 2 because parts of the audio experience (playing DRM files) is something I can easily do on the Mix 2).

I do lust after a V30 for the audio experience, but LG just doesn't provide software updates near the pace of Xiaomi.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It certainly has for me. I think the Mi Mix 2's camera is about 60% of the Pixel 2. If it was 75%, I'd retire the Pixel 2 because parts of the audio experience (playing DRM files) is something I can easily do on the Mix 2).

I do lust after a V30 for the audio experience, but LG just doesn't provide software updates near the pace of Xiaomi.

The V30 is definitely known for fantastic audio experience... Have you been keeping up on the details of the G7? But I do agree with you with regards to LG's update track record...

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
The V30 is definitely known for fantastic audio experience... Have you been keeping up on the details of the G7? But I do agree with you with regards to LG's update track record...
I've seen the G7. Some things about it I like, a lot I don't. It's not even about the notch, but I can get most of the features in the G7 from the V30. I'm sure the cameras are better, but outside of that and the new G button (assistant button), not much warrants me turning it into a daily driver - as much as audio for my commute is #1 for me.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Last week the battery in my JBL e50bt ran out. Not a fan.

I hate Apple for starting this nonsense.

I hate carrying adapters.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the G7. Some things about it I like, a lot I don't. It's not even about the notch, but I can get most of the features in the G7 from the V30. I'm sure the cameras are better, but outside of that and the new G button (assistant button), not much warrants me turning it into a daily driver - as much as audio for my commute is #1 for me.

For sure! Sometimes a new flagship, even though it has potential and merit, does not warrant an upgrade. I've heard users state that sometimes a two-year gap warrants an upgrade as opposed to a year.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
So now that more phones are losing the headphone jack, has your feelings/opinion on it changed?

The lack of a 3.5mm jack has stopped a lot of my upgrade options. I simply won't settle for a phone with a silly adapter sticking out of the phone. Imagine, over the years when the USB-C port gets loose, you try to put the phone into your pocket to listen to music while walking, but it keeps falling out....No thanks.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
My feelings have changed about the headphone jack. I told tonnes of people in here that it's easy just to leave your dingle attached to your favourite pair of headphones then you'll be fine. A month in with my Mate 10 Pro with no headphone jack and I really miss it. I've got a few pairs of Bluetooth headphones but I also have loads lof pairs of wired ones including some really good ones that are in cars or my work van etc etc and it used to be so easy just to grab a pair whenever I needed to but not that's just not possible with the dongle still attached to my favourite headphones in the house

This is exactly the reason I'm considering the Honor View 10.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
For sure! Sometimes a new flagship, even though it has potential and merit, does not warrant an upgrade. I've heard users state that sometimes a two-year gap warrants an upgrade as opposed to a year.

Yup, although I WANT every new flagship - even ones with minor upgrades/improvements but I'm one to upgrade every 2 years maybe a bit more... I will be intrigued with the S10/X but felt it was time for the S9 since I skipped the S8. The release of the HTC U12 plus in the coming weeks looks good lol - 3450 mAh battery, great looking camera, 845 processor, 6GB RAM with 128GB storage running Android Oreo 8.1... Even as HTC hemorrhages money hopefully this is a winner - but getting back to the point of this thread... NO 3.5mm headphone jack so there goes that for me lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Been awhile since I checked in. Still feel the same. I use Bluetooth everywhere so no real need for wired headphones.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The lack of a 3.5mm jack has stopped a lot of my upgrade options. I simply won't settle for a phone with a silly adapter sticking out of the phone. Imagine, over the years when the USB-C port gets loose, you try to put the phone into your pocket to listen to music while walking, but it keeps falling out....No thanks.

Yep... for real.

The USB-C plug that came with my macbook pro is starting to wear and get that loose feeling. It still works mind you, but its not a firm click or anything that inspires confidence. Whatever retention it came with when new, has worn out a noticeable amount. I can't tell if its the jack or the plug... I think its the plug though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, although I WANT every new flagship - even ones with minor upgrades/improvements but I'm one to upgrade every 2 years maybe a bit more... I will be intrigued with the S10/X but felt it was time for the S9 since I skipped the S8. The release of the HTC U12 plus in the coming weeks looks good lol - 3450 mAh battery, great looking camera, 845 processor, 6GB RAM with 128GB storage running Android Oreo 8.1... Even as HTC hemorrhages money hopefully this is a winner - but getting back to the point of this thread... NO 3.5mm headphone jack so there goes that for me lol

I agree with you! And the U12 does look super amazing - it's too bad that it doesn't have a headphone jack, however!

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Yep... for real.

The USB-C plug that came with my macbook pro is starting to wear and get that loose feeling. It still works mind you, but its not a firm click or anything that inspires confidence. Whatever retention it came with when new, has worn out a noticeable amount. I can't tell if its the jack or the plug... I think its the plug though.

I work in IT and most of us use Macbook Pros in my office. One of the newer members of our team has been provided with one of the new macbooks with usb-c all over it. Same thing is happening to it. Ports becoming loose.

The problem with that is when she tries to plug in any displays, she has to keep unplugging it and putting it back in until the displays actually work.

I do miss micro-usb :)

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I work in IT and most of us use Macbook Pros in my office. One of the newer members of our team has been provided with one of the new macbooks with usb-c all over it. Same thing is happening to it. Ports becoming loose.

The problem with that is when she tries to plug in any displays, she has to keep unplugging it and putting it back in until the displays actually work.

I do miss micro-usb :)

USB-type C is not the problem... Its actually great hardware that you can do a lot with. The problem is making it the only option to do everything with! One of the many reasons I'm against eliminating the 3.5mm headphone/AUX jack. It basically makes the USB-C the only input/output & you have to use it for everything not just charging. So the constant plugging/unplugging and/or keeping a dongle plugged in at all times makes the port so loose it renders it useless over time.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
USB-type C is not the problem... Its actually great hardware that you can do a lot with. The problem is making it the only option to do everything with! One of the many reasons I'm against eliminating the 3.5mm headphone/AUX jack. It basically makes the USB-C the only input/output & you have to use it for everything not just charging. So the constant plugging/unplugging and/or keeping a dongle plugged in at all times makes the port so loose it renders it useless over time.

This is true. I do recognise the merits of USB-C, but if you're someone who only uses it to charge a phone (HTC 10) and it still comes loose after about 1 year? There's an obvious problem there IMO, when directly compared to Micro-usb longevity.

Functionality means nothing when we can't even have reliability.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
This is true. I do recognise the merits of USB-C, but if you're someone who only uses it to charge a phone (HTC 10) and it still comes loose after about 1 year? There's an obvious problem there IMO, when directly compared to Micro-usb longevity.

Functionality means nothing when we can't even have reliability.

Yeah, that definitely should not be happening if you're only using it for charging. I haven't come across that issue thankfully- I do try to use wireless charging when I can and did even when I had a Micro USB so the port wouldn't wear out.

GSX1400

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, that definitely should not be happening if you're only using it for charging. I haven't come across that issue thankfully- I do try to use wireless charging when I can and did even when I had a Micro USB so the port wouldn't wear out.

To be honest, it started getting worse after using a cheap chinese USB-C charger, so I reckon that exacerbated the problem - but definitely wasn't the sole cause. I can't even pick it up while it's charging without the cable dropping out. VERY frustrating.

A friend of mine has the Galaxy S8 and while his USB-C isn't TOO loose yet, his rapid charging fails to work most of the time. I have the same problem with my HTC.

Wireless charging is definitely a good call right now, but it further narrows your upgrade options. I've never had such a difficult time deciding on my next phone in all my time using them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12