How often do you use mobile payments?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So with all the emphasis on mobile payments, how many actually use some form of mobile payment and how often do you use it? Seeing more signage in stores saying they accept it which is a nice step from the past.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I began using Android Pay (primarily, linked to my Discover card due to their cash rewards program) wherever possible about 3 months ago and now use it religiously - especially at the grocery store which I visit multiple times weekly.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Started with Apple Pay then been using Android Pay ever since. I gave Samsung a try for a day or so but it offers zero advantage over Android Pay here in the UK and Android Pay is easier to use as you don't even have to do anything other than wake your screen and tap your phone to the pay point

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: If I recall correctly I paid my Phone bill twice, using the Bank
webpage app, but accidentally lost my Phone, without activate
the recover settings..So what about if the phone
finder manage activate the Bank app

I've my Samsung payment app icon On..But never configured rather
use the PC to make onLine transactions,.So let's heard more opinions

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Instead of having all the card payment hoohah on my phone, it's much easier to take out my wallet and use a CC. Of course, that has no whoopee factor, but I really don't care.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I use samsung pay. What I love about it is I don't need to look for any signs of stores accepting it or not. If they have a card slider I can reach, my phone and S3Frontier will work on it I do probably 55 to 65 transactions a month with it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Instead of having all the card payment hoohah on my phone, it's much easier to take out my wallet and use a CC. Of course, that has no whoopee factor, but I really don't care.
I used to think the same. But, in actuality, Android Pay is far easier to use than a credit card.

I take the phone from my left front pocket and simultaneously place my index finger on the fingerprint sensor, thus unlocking the phone. I tap the Android Pay icon on my home screen and bring the phone to the pay terminal. Voila, it is done.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When I have a Samsung phone I use Samsung Pay a ton. When I don't I really don't use mobile payments as much.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I used Samsung Pay about three times back in January or February and haven't used it since. I still prefer to use my debit card or credit card depending on where I am. The last time I used Samsung Pay at King Soopers, the lady standing at the end of the self checkouts watched me like I was trying to break into their safe.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Android Pay 2-3 times a week,grocery store mainly.
Also at a fast food place,when I go to one.I prefer AP over using my "physical" debit card.
The same "physical" debit card is the card linked to AP.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I tap the Android Pay icon on my home screen

There's no need to do this unless you're changing the card you're using, and that can be done with a long-press of the icon which gives you a list of 4 cards to use

I use mobile payments where I can, typically the grocery store a couple times a week.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There's no need to do this unless you're changing the card you're using, and that can be done with a long-press of the icon which gives you a list of 4 cards to use

I use mobile payments where I can, typically the grocery store a couple times a week.

True; I was being simplistic.

If I tap the icon once, it opens the app with my default card selected. At that point, I just need to bring my phone (Pixel XL) within an inch of the terminal and the transaction is complete.

But, as you say, I could also long-press the icon and then tap the card I want to use.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.. :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
By the way, for those who say using their credit/debit card is just as easy, I would just point out that when using Android Pay you typically do not need to enter a PIN or sign anything to complete the transaction (although, I have to admit that on what seem to be purely random occasions, I *do* have to sign the terminal even at the same stores that do not require it for 95 transactions out of 100)

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
True; I was being simplistic.

If I tap the icon once, it opens the app with my default card selected. At that point, I just need to bring my phone (Pixel XL) within an inch of the terminal and the transaction is complete.

But, as you say, I could also long-press the icon and then tap the card I want to use.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.. :)

I think what he means is, there's no need to tap the icon at all, or even open your phone to make a payment with Android Pay (unless you need to use a card which isn't your default one). All you need to do is wake your phone's screen and tap the phone against the terminal. You don't even need to unlock your lockscreen.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think what he means is, there's no need to tap the icon at all, or even open your phone to make a payment with Android Pay (unless you need to use a card which isn't your default one). All you need to do is wake your phone's screen and tap the phone against the terminal. You don't even need to unlock your lockscreen.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that!

I'll have to try it the next time I am in the grocery store.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
O:) If may I jump on this : When the above members compared that

samSung Pymt is an easy as use our Debits - Ccards they refer to

use the feature "Wave" is just slightly Pass the Cards over the

Pymt pads and Bingo transaction done..No need to enter

Pins or signatures for Payments lower than $100 - But

the risk is on the event of losing either the Phone

or Ccards anybody can used until the limit of

$100 we know Banks replace the $$ but

still an inconvenient to fix for Banks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
No need to enter

Pins or signatures for Payments lower than $100

You hit on an interesting point. Considering we need a biometric unlock (or at least a PIN unlock) to use the payment method, I would like to see retailers and credit card companies recognize this and not require signature when this payment method is used, no matter what the amount is.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Correct, sort of. You need to use your fingerprint, which DOES unlock the screen.