How long do you keep a phone?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm a smartphone nut. I get pretty much every new flagship that is released. Which means I only have a phone for a few months max before I move on to the next one. I'm currently using a z2 play and loving it. I'm going to try and use this phone for at least a year but hopefully longer.

How long do you normally keep your phones and why not upgrade sooner?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll keep my S7 for at least 3 years if not more. Phone innovation has slowed, Android is more mature and we're just seeing marginal improvements each year, nothing on the S8 is a "must have" for me, nothing on the S9 will be either so I'll just keep it.

Also the curved screen marketing fad is not for me either, I can't even get a good fitting tempered glass screen protector on my slightly rounded edges of my S7 let alone one of the newer models.

Finally I find switching phones a pain, I like it just fine when I have my current phone tweaked and chugging along nicely.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep my S7 for at least 3 years if not more. Phone innovation has slowed, Android is more mature and we're just seeing marginal improvements each year, nothing on the S8 is a "must have" for me, nothing on the S9 will be either so I'll just keep it.

Also the curved screen marketing fad is not for me either, I can't even get a good fitting tempered glass screen protector on my slightly rounded edges of my S7 let alone one of the newer models.

Finally I find switching phones a pain, I like it just fine when I have my current phone tweaked and chugging along nicely.
I agree with you on all points. Your last one though is such a pain. I don't know why I do it to myself. I guess I'm just used to it

geekeedee

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I had the Google Nexus 4 (great phone) for 3.5 years until I dropped it for the umpth time and broke it. I had the same car for 10+ years until I smashed it beyond repair in an accident. I guess there is a pattern here ... :-\ ;)

In the early days, the race to upgrade seems to be toward bigger and bigger screen size (screen size was a marketing, selling point). But screen size has plateau-ed; anything bigger, then it's a phablet, tablet or whatever you call it, and it's no longer comfortable to hold as a phone. I, too, has spent an enormous amount of time customizing my phone to "perfection", so I am too lazy to change it until I am forced to.

I guess I will keep my phone, my car ... and my wife for as long as they live ?! :)

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
How do you guys feel about little dings and scratches? Since I get a new phone so frequently I am used to having pristine phones. And any imperfection makes me want to jump ship and get a new one. I am working on embracing the imperfections as they make my phone mine

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy the Z2 Play, OP! I was looking at it myself!

I'd say I keep a phone for an average of a year. Sometimes it's not just because I get the itch to upgrade - it's because my technology likes to malfunction on me often. 😂

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
How do you guys feel about little dings and scratches?

Well...a pet peeve of mine. The rounded edges of the S7 precludes me from a tempered glass protector, at least one that fits as well as the flat screen phones. I tried a few film protectors and didn't like any of them so I went without...scratched my screen as a result! I just live with it, in the end it's just a tool and it gets used like one, however I'd really prefer they go back to flat screens for practical purposes (and some bezel also).

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm a smartphone nut. I get pretty much every new flagship that is released. Which means I only have a phone for a few months max before I move on to the next one. I'm currently using a z2 play and loving it. I'm going to try and use this phone for at least a year but hopefully longer.

How long do you normally keep your phones and why not upgrade sooner?
I have had four different Smartphones since 2009. I can't even fathom the idea of changing phones multiple times a year. My current phone is a Note 4 and it works great. I have preordered a Note 8, but have been using the 4 for over 2.5 years. Every thing on Android works great on my current Note. I am getting a new phone due to age. My phone is starting to have issues due to age. Probably due to traveling all around the world multiple times a year.

I highly customize my phone for my preferences. The thought of doing this work keeps me from updating. I plan on keeping the Note 8 for at least 2 years and maybe longer.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I have had four different Smartphones since 2009. I can't even fathom the idea of changing phones multiple times a year. My current phone is a Note 4 and it works great. I have preordered a Note 8, but have been using the 4 for over 2.5 years. Every thing on Android works great on my current Note. I am getting a new phone due to age. My phone is starting to have issues due to age. Probably due to traveling all around the world multiple times a year.

I highly customize my phone for my preferences. The thought of doing this work keeps me from updating. I plan on keeping the Note 8 for at least 2 years and maybe longer.

My wife still has her Note 4 and it's still chugging quite nicely. Might be one of the best phones they ever made.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Usually once a year, I jump Samsung Note to Note. I worked at Verizon for 4 years and played with many phones, never felt anything else was as good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been changing every few months. I am trying to cut down on it so .. I will do it one more time to the Pixel 2. I will then try and stay with that.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the itch again today. Was able to fight it. Convinced myself that I want a more manageable size phone. So I almost switched to a Moto e4 or iPhone SE

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife still has her Note 4 and it's still chugging quite nicely. Might be one of the best phones they ever made.

I've heard good things about the Note 4 and 5. To be honest, I've never heard of phones really lasting that long - that's crazy! Just shows how well-made Samsung's phones are. :)

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Starting with the S2 thru the S5, switched to LG with the G2 thru G4, then to the V series.. Every year for one reason or another After the V30..planning to settle on one for a while.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
How many do it because they found their perfect phone vs financial reasons
I have a very nice six figure income. I could buy all the new smartphones as they come out. I can see zero reason to buy and take the time to keep switching phones. New phones just don't change that much, we are in the evolutionary stage not the revolutionary stage of smartphone development.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey