Help with recent pop up and adware

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I've had an issue over the last month or so with some pop ups, Google play store randomly popping up to download some random app, and also have been getting some sort of full page add pop up that fills the whole phone screen, in the corner it says adds by and shows like a little tweeter bird icon. I dont use Twitter btw either.

The first type of pop up I mentioned is like a thin marrow ribben across the screen that will appear over whatever web page I was viewing at the time. It will show an x in the top right corner to close it out, also on the bottom shows an opt out. If you click the opt out it wants you to download some remover app, or says you can manually opt out by using your phones serial or EMI # or whatever.

The Google play store issue is annoying. I'll just be looking at a web page or open an app, then all a sudden out of nowhere Google store pops up and is asking me to install some random app. No idea why it happens or what to do.

The third issue, again I'm just viewing normal sites like usual, sometimes a full screen sized pop or add page randomly pops up. These ones show in the top left corner adds by, and it shows the twitter bird icon. I dont tweet or use twitter, although I have it installed, I never use it.

All these issues have seemingly started to happen over the last month. Also want to mention I have the free version of malware, recently it upgraded me to the free trial of the paid version, even after scanning my phone I'm still having these issues. This is for a Note 5 phone btw.

Anyone had these same issues ?

Suggestions on what I can do to remove or stop these pop ups or adware ?

I've tried uninstalling any recent apps, doesn't seemed to have had any effect.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Possibly you have unwittingly downloaded a trojan adware with some other app.
Don't click on anything within a popup, ever!! Never. That close icon could well be in fact giving permission to download some malware! Back out using hone button and close the browser, then open it again.
I have Adguard on all my devices and never get any of that annoying stuff. It has a great firewall too...

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I just downloaded adguard, did what it said to do to enable it for Samsung internet. I'm still getting these pop ups, doesn't seem to help me at all.

Seems like after one of the previous Android updates last month or so I started noticing these issues. I just had a Android update earlier tonight and seems like these issues have been even worse since.

When one of those full screen pops up came up, I hit my back button and it dissapeared. But the ribbon type ad that pops up over whatever web page I'm looking at, back button doesn't get rid of it. I had just got one, closed Samsung internet and it was still there, turned my phone off and back on and it was gone.

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I've downloaded Norton and scanned my phone, it found no threats or malware. The malware app also didn't really seem to find anything when I scanned my phone. However I'm still getting these pop ups and adds. Not sure why after the Android updates I've seemed to notice these issues the most. I haven't downloaded many other apps lately, a couple games here and there which I ended up uninstalling. Haven't visited any questionable sites or gone download crazy on weird apps from unknown developers.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I just downloaded adguard, did what it said to do to enable it for Samsung internet. I'm still getting these pop ups, doesn't seem to help me at all.

Seems like after one of the previous Android updates last month or so I started noticing these issues. I just had a Android update earlier tonight and seems like these issues have been even worse since.

When one of those full screen pops up came up, I hit my back button and it dissapeared. But the ribbon type ad that pops up over whatever web page I'm looking at, back button doesn't get rid of it. I had just got one, closed Samsung internet and it was still there, turned my phone off and back on and it was gone.

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

To get the benefits of Adguard you have to sideload the app from their home site. The app sold in the Playstore is useless.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded the adguard just now. Just strange I wasn't having these pop up and add issues like this until after yesterday's Android update, since then I've been getting them like crazy.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
With malaware, adguard, and Norton on my phone, I'm still getting the banner adds and full screen pops up adds. This all started to happen after the Android update yesterday. All three of those apps state I'm malware threat free. This is super annoying. Any other suggestions are welcomed, I've tried everything so far thanks.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Some free apps come with ads to fund them. I try to avoid apps with ads and will pay to remove ads and use pro versions to avoid this adware stuff.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Last night Verizon security found and I removed some sort of file named ks.kas.apk and since then it seems to have stopped the adds. When I googled that file or app, the description sounded exactly like what could cause the add pop ups in was getting.

Not sure how I got the file or app, I didn't start having the add issues until after the last Android update Monday. Just passing the info along in case some of you have a similar issue.

clmartin22

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I started having this problem on my S8+ just a week or so ago and this is what I did to find out what app was causing the ads.

When the ad pops up hit the button that show running apps, long press the white square at the top of the offending app and the program running should be revealed. In my case it was FLV Player
Screenshot_20170911-070158.jpg
Screenshot_20170911-070212.jpg

Now you can uninstall the app. I tried several things to block the ads but had no luck so I just uninstalled FLV Player.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I started having this problem on my S8+ just a week or so ago and this is what I did to find out what app was causing the ads.

When the ad pops up hit the button that show running apps, long press the white square at the top of the offending app and the program running should be revealed. In my case it was FLV Player
View attachment 267978
View attachment 267979

Now you can uninstall the app. I tried several things to block the ads but had no luck so I just uninstalled FLV Player.

Thanks so much for pointing that out. I just got a new phone Saturday and was aggravated that I was all of a sudden getting pop ups and adds, on a new phone after just a couple days having it.

I did exactly what you said, for me the app causing problems was HD premium wallpapers, removed it and haven't had any issues since, what a relief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2