Amount of Bloat by Manufacturer

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there any place that evaluates cell phones based on the amount of add-ons, also know as bloatware, tacked on top of Android.

I assume that Nexus/Pixel are the least. I've read that Samsung was horrible but has improved. When I read reviews I don't get much of a feel for some bloat or a lot of bloat or incredible bloat.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Good question. I'll move it to the General News & Discussion forum where I think it will fare better.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
On my Verizon Note 8 I have been able to uninstall most of the preinstalled apps. What remains (aside from DT Ignite) Are apps I want installed.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm no phone phreak but since I buy unlocked phones and then get a SIM card I think I'm avoiding carrier bloat and only have to deal with manufacturer bloat.

Sometimes I see a phone review and there are things I like about the phone but I don't want to have to deal with a lot of non-standard foolishness.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It is only bloat if you don't use it. For example, Android doesn't really come with a fitness app. Samsung comes with their S Health app bundled in. Some people consider it bloat, but since I extensively use it because I like it better than any of the third party options, I don't consider it bloat but a value adding app. Samsung does have some duplicating apps to certain Google services so people consider this bloat. For example, Google has Play Music but Samsung has its own Music app.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It is only bloat if you don't use it. For example, Android doesn't really come with a fitness app. Samsung comes with their S Health app bundled in. Some people consider it bloat, but since I extensively use it because I like it better than any of the third party options, I don't consider it bloat but a value adding app. Samsung does have some duplicating apps to certain Google services so people consider this bloat. For example, Google has Play Music but Samsung has its own Music app.

I don't know ... I don't think bloat is only if you don't use it. I think a better definition would be anything that a user doesn't want on their device regardless of use, no? If it takes up space and resources and it can't be uninstalled I think that's bloat.

In your example, what if you DID find a third party app that you liked better and used daily, but couldn't uninstall the S Health app. At that point doesn't it become bloat for you?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know ... I don't think bloat is only if you don't use it. I think a better definition would be anything that a user doesn't want on their device regardless of use, no? If it takes up space and resources and it can't be uninstalled I think that's bloat.

In your example, what if you DID find a third party app that you liked better and used daily, but couldn't uninstall the S Health app. At that point doesn't it become bloat for you?
Read what you said very slowly.

It can't be regardless of use. Because if you use it, why would you want to remove it? The app being irremovable or not will not matter if the app is being useful to you and you find it essential to your smartphone experience.

Also, an app can be useless but still not bloat. I have a tablet with phone call functionality. Heck 10 inch Samsung tablets are sold in my country with phone functionality. Do they need it? Does anyone really use a 10 inch tablet as their phone? But the phone app isn't considered bloat despite being practically useless.

It's not only bloat if it's something that you do not use, but also don't want/need on your phone. Especially if it's duplicating functionality. Some people would consider Google Music as good, and Samsung Music as bloat. I consider Google Music. As bloat. It's ugly, doesn't sound as good as Samsung Music, has decreased features, and it's online servixe is not available in my country. But it can't be uninstalled.

As it is, bloat is subjective to each and every person's own usage of the phone.

Read what you said very slowly.

It can't be regardless of use. Because if you use it, why would you want to remove it? The app being irremovable or not will not matter if the app is being useful to you and you find it essential to your smartphone experience.

Also, an app can be useless but still not bloat. I have a tablet with phone call functionality. Heck 10 inch Samsung tablets are sold in my country with phone functionality. Do they need it? Does anyone really use a 10 inch tablet as their phone? But the phone app isn't considered bloat despite being practically useless.

It's not only bloat if it's something that you do not use, but also don't want/need on your phone. Especially if it's duplicating functionality. Some people would consider Google Music as good, and Samsung Music as bloat. I consider Google Music. As bloat. It's ugly, doesn't sound as good as Samsung Music, has decreased features, and it's online servixe is not available in my country. But it can't be uninstalled.

As it is, bloat is subjective to each and every person's own usage of the phone.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It's not only bloat if it's something that you do not use, but also don't want/need on your phone.

Agreed.

Let me be clearer. I have owned Samsung phones in the past. I have zero interest in the Samsung ecosystem, so every duplicated, uninstallable app that they put onto their hardware is bloat to me. To your point, many people find them very useful and therefore bloat is indeed very subjective term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995