Does OK Google work on your phone with the screen off?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does OK Google work with your phone's display off? (either unplugged or charging)

What phone and OS version?

I ask because I've been bothered by the mysterious disappearance of the feature earlier this summer for me and I've only really seen some isolated device-specific discussions or questions without much attention. So I'd like more data!

Sometime in the last few months, OK Google stopped working on my Moto Z Play (7.0, 7.1.1) when the display is turned off, I clearly remember using it in the past, so it's definitely not a hardware limitation, and hasn't been for a long time. When the display is on, whether with the screensaver feature or during use, OK Google works perfectly.

(not when Moto Display pops up however - and Moto Voice is disappointing, only bringing up pre-Assistant Google and being unable to do anything without needing me to unlock the phone - largely defeating the purpose.)

It's been a while since I noticed the lost/broken feature and during that same timeframe I got Android 7.1.1 pushed to my phone (retus channel for fellow Z Play owners) but I believe this problem predated the update.

Early on I found uninstalling the Google app updates from the Play Store would reenable this feature at the cost of Assistant. But that is no longer the case, whether it is a new server-side check, a clandestine Play Services change, 7.1.1 baking in a newer Google app version... the wording in the OK Google detection settings referring to "...screen off and your favorite apps" has been changed to refer to only "favorite apps"

Anyways, I've seen the theory that this change, if it turns out to be widespread, was done to promote Nexus/Pixel phones but I don't have much to support it other than a multitude of isolated threads from recent months across the internet regarding the OnePlus 5, Galaxy S8, and a handful of other phones, including my Z Play, and a gut feeling.

I hope I'm not onto anything, but then again that would leave me more baffled as to why its just my model and the ones I saw the most threads on.

EDIT: I've poked around Google's support forums for Assistant and found vague references to some devices no longer being "supported" for the feature...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Google settings specifically says it works when screen is on. Ostensibly it's to decrease battery usage. AFAIK it works when screen is off but plugged in but not so sure. However there is a setting for it to listen on connected bluetooth headsets so there is that. You now need to have a headset on.

S7Edge, Dual SIM Exynos.

46fa96a404f464e276b03451bcc6a996.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Google settings specifically says it works when screen is on. Ostensibly it's to decrease battery usage. AFAIK it works when screen is off but plugged in but not so sure. However there is a setting for it to listen on connected bluetooth headsets so there is that. You now need to have a headset on.

S7Edge, Dual SIM Exynos.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/46fa96a404f464e276b03451bcc6a996.jpg

The wording changed in my case to cover for the functionality that was pulled. Which isn't unprecedented since I've seen "when charging" mentioned elsewhere for some phones but even plugged in with the screen off it no longer functions in my case.

ok-google-detection-settings-e1477328370884.jpg

tux2000

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I got a LG/Motorola Moto G4 plus, Android 7.0.

I cant get the OK google detection working when the screen is off, neither when it is charging. As soon as the screen is on the "trusted voices" work for unlock as well...

Quite sure that it worked before at least while charging.