Carrier vs. Unlocked

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So as I consider buying a Pixel XL2, I'm faced with the dilemma of whether I want to give up having a carrier-provided device (I'm on T-Mobile, so I'll obviously have to buy the Pixel unlocked).

The main features I feel like I will miss would be:

1. Having to purchase insurance upfront as opposed to monthly payments.

2. If something goes wrong with my phone, having the ease of being able to just call up my carrier, and have a replacement overnighted to me.

3. Being able to simply trade in my phone to get a new one every year (obviously, I can just sell an unlocked phone on ebay, but it's a little more effort).

For anyone who's switched recently, did you find yourself missing it?

For anyone who's had to deal with SquareTrade or one of those independent insurance providers, how are they?

And is buying and selling phones consistently not a big deal for you?

I just I'm just curious about the general experience and satisfaction of having an unlocked phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I heard that this time around the Pixel might be offered on other carriers, T-Mobile included. So who knows, you might be able to get it on the Magenta network after all. I'm on J!OD so when the first Pixel came out only for Verizon or unlocked I was really bummed. But it's not a device worth changing my plan for. And now we can change phones every 30 days. Sweet!

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
It's just a guess, but I bet the Pixel will be a Verizon exclusive for at least a couple more years. I just can't stand non-pure Android anymore. I have an S8+ now, and the hardware is incredible, but yet it lags more than my daughter's $200 BLU phone. That's just sad.

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
there is two way to unlock with t-mobile.
first - enter unlock code when you switch on your phone with another network sim.
Second - T-mobile also provide a device unlock app in device to unlock .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always purchased carrier devices until last December, when I bought my Honor 8 unlocked. I absolutely love it! No carrier bloatware from my carrier and I had the device paid off much sooner than I would have had I been locked into a 2-year agreement. I've really enjoyed the "unlocked" experience; but as you've mentioned, I do worry about the possibility of my phone developing an issue and then my carrier won't be able to help me. However, some manufacturers (LG, Huawei/Honor, etc) do offer their own device protection programs; and you can always purchase your own insurance from places like Best Buy.

It's a tough decision with pros and cons on both sides! Let us know what you decide to do!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante