I actually see quite a few threads on this between WindowsCentral and AndroidCentral but my specific questions are unique enough where I think it might be worth asking on the forums.

Quick background: Windows phone user for years, my specific productivity needs were met quite well with the ecosystem, and was never really a person who needed the latest trend in apps. Phone died, no more windows phones left for an insurance claim and the writing was on the wall (and recently confirmed) for the death of Windows 10 mobile anyways so they gave me a Galaxy S6, and a month or so later my contract allowed for an upgrade to an S8+. Coincidentally, the need for productivity during this transition has been non-existent so the move has been easy. What's more, I recently have expanded a great many health and fitness focused aspects of my life from road cycling to healthy eating and the apps available on a mainstream OS have come quite in handy so it was just in time.

Now to the questions and concerns: I didn't realize until I switched from the Galaxy S6 to the S8 that Samsung wasn't just putting their own skin on the phone (barely knowing what that even means) but they have full blown replacements for all the mainstay apps: Calendar, messaging, contacts, photos and it literally took me adding widgets to the home screen to see that I had 2 calendar options that were different but had the same name. Up until now the phone has been a play thing and a voyage of discovery, but soon the real work is going to be done, so I will start to settle in on making this phone "Mine". What's more, as devices like the Razer Phone and it's unique features call to me, home automation becomes more readily accessible and cheaper (and with some money saving potential due to energy usage and security) and me getting ready to make new purchases like tablets (which will probably be android now vs my Windows based ones) what should I do as far as these default apps? Should I just scrap the Samsung ones? CAN I even do that? Sometimes it's not obvious which is the Samsung app and which is the Android (err, google? Is that one in the same?) app that would have parity across all the potential devices I would use. I noticed the google messaging app was not on the phone and I needed to download it. When I backup my phone, using Samsung apps, would it be able to sync to another android device and transfer over?

It's all very confusing. I don't want to get "too" comfortable with the Samsung apps if it will cause me issues syncing across the android eco-system. There are other things like the Samsung Health app, which I heard is good, and would I be losing out on great features if I went to the google equivalent. Really that is the question with everyting: Will moving my phone over the google or android centric apps make me miss out on features on my phone, are some Samsung apps potentially better than Google equivalents? Would it matter if I started getting home automation stuff like Google home or Amazon echo or other non Samsung android devices like tablets, or is making that all mesh easy regardless because I am on "Android" in general now?

And to sum it up in a much more simple question, is setting up with Samsung apps a detriment, an advantage, or no big deal because it's easy to transfer either way? And if it is a detriment, what is the best way to set up my phone and make sure I have a solid Android experience that I can move around to other devices with no fuss?
    11-06-2017 10:16 AM
    Welcome.

Well, I'm surprised that you've had no responses considering how many members have Samsung phones. It's easily the biggest Android phone brand I believe. It's also one that I don't use myself so I can't answer your questions. I guess that the Samsung way of doing things is okay if you're happy with it. It may involve a certain amount of doubling up if you want to use both Samsung and Google stuff - Samsung Find My Device AND Google Find My Phone on the same device, for example - but I don't know that it would cause serious problems.
    I'll refrain from stating my own preference because that's just my preference.

(The names of the two apps mentioned above may or may not be accurate....a small consequence perhaps of having to try to remember differently-named apps of similar function.)

By all means introduce yourself as a new member here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/fo...play.php?f=159
    ...where we've seen other WP refugees of late.
    11-07-2017 06:50 PM
    I actually see quite a few threads on this between WindowsCentral and AndroidCentral but my specific questions are unique enough where I think it might be worth asking on the forums.

Quick background: Windows phone user for years, my specific productivity needs were met quite well with the ecosystem, and was never really a person who needed the latest trend in apps. Phone died, no more windows phones left for an insurance claim and the writing was on the wall (and recently confirmed) for the death of Windows 10 mobile anyways so they gave me a Galaxy S6, and a month or so later my contract allowed for an upgrade to an S8+. Coincidentally, the need for productivity during this transition has been non-existent so the move has been easy. What's more, I recently have expanded a great many health and fitness focused aspects of my life from road cycling to healthy eating and the apps available on a mainstream OS have come quite in handy so it was just in time.

Now to the questions and concerns: I didn't realize until I switched from the Galaxy S6 to the S8 that Samsung wasn't just putting their own skin on the phone (barely knowing what that even means) but they have full blown replacements for all the mainstay apps: Calendar, messaging, contacts, photos and it literally took me adding widgets to the home screen to see that I had 2 calendar options that were different but had the same name. Up until now the phone has been a play thing and a voyage of discovery, but soon the real work is going to be done, so I will start to settle in on making this phone "Mine". What's more, as devices like the Razer Phone and it's unique features call to me, home automation becomes more readily accessible and cheaper (and with some money saving potential due to energy usage and security) and me getting ready to make new purchases like tablets (which will probably be android now vs my Windows based ones) what should I do as far as these default apps? Should I just scrap the Samsung ones? CAN I even do that? Sometimes it's not obvious which is the Samsung app and which is the Android (err, google? Is that one in the same?) app that would have parity across all the potential devices I would use. I noticed the google messaging app was not on the phone and I needed to download it. When I backup my phone, using Samsung apps, would it be able to sync to another android device and transfer over?

It's all very confusing. I don't want to get "too" comfortable with the Samsung apps if it will cause me issues syncing across the android eco-system. There are other things like the Samsung Health app, which I heard is good, and would I be losing out on great features if I went to the google equivalent. Really that is the question with everyting: Will moving my phone over the google or android centric apps make me miss out on features on my phone, are some Samsung apps potentially better than Google equivalents? Would it matter if I started getting home automation stuff like Google home or Amazon echo or other non Samsung android devices like tablets, or is making that all mesh easy regardless because I am on "Android" in general now?

And to sum it up in a much more simple question, is setting up with Samsung apps a detriment, an advantage, or no big deal because it's easy to transfer either way? And if it is a detriment, what is the best way to set up my phone and make sure I have a solid Android experience that I can move around to other devices with no fuss?
    Short answer, no. Samsung won't be locking you in. All apps have the ability to sync no matter what Android phone you have. Samsung's Calendar can sync to Google if you set it so. Samsung's apps are available on the Play Store for compatible phones even of different brands. So even if Samsung Notes doesn't sync to Google, you can download it on another phone. Or failing that share it to keep.

On the subject of superiority, some. Google Apps are superior, like the Clock app, some are subjectively inferior, like Keep vs Samsung Notes. Some have no inherent difference at all, like either Calendar apps. And sometimes both Samsung's and Google's iterations are inferior to other options, like their messaging apps vs Textra or Yaata. Just use the one that works best for you.

In terms of integration with the phone, Samsung Health will work best, but there is an app on the Play Store called Health Sync that syncs data between it and Google Fit. So if you decide to move to another brand, all your data will migrate with Google Fit. Not that it matters since Samsung already made Samsung Health available on other non Samsung devices via the Play Store.
    belodion and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-07-2017 07:15 PM
    Welcome to the forums! And awesome username, by the way!

I can understand your confusion: duplicate apps that do the same thing on one phone can be a little weird! I have not used a Samsung phone before; but my mom has an S6 Edge, so I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Samsung does come with its own flavour of apps and workarounds. I don't necessarily think you'd lose out if you didn't use some of them. For example, my mom uses a different calendar app (either Jorte or another third party app); but still uses her stock Samsung messaging app and hasn't wanted to switch to apps like Textra. She kind of tests things out with Samsung apps first and then decides whether or not she likes it or wants to try something new. You could always go that route if you prefer! Samsung does make some quality apps.

With regard to Samsung Health, I myself have never used it and haven't tinkered with my mom's Samsung Health; but Google Fit is also a good app to use. My LG's (my previous phone) manufacturer-specific app left to be desired, so I switched to Google Fit. However, I feel like Samsung's fitness app is pretty interesting. Maybe give both apps a try and see how accurate they both are; and then decide! I found that my Google Fit app tracked my progress more efficiently and accurately than my LG Health app. But again, that's not Samsung and their app may be more responsive.

Again, welcome to the forums! The Samsung Galaxy S8 sub-forums are always super active, so feel free to head on over there and check it out!
    belodion and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-08-2017 07:38 AM
    Thank you all for the great info! I WAS a little discouraged from the lack of responses if we're being honest so getting so many quality replies in short order is a great relief and makes me feel properly welcomed!

I'll just keep using the phone as I have it then, save for a couple individual apps that I'll research. Thank you very much
    Morty2264 and belodion like this.
    11-09-2017 06:37 AM
    Thank you all for the great info! I WAS a little discouraged from the lack of responses if we're being honest so getting so many quality replies in short order is a great relief and makes me feel properly welcomed!

I'll just keep using the phone as I have it then, save for a couple individual apps that I'll research. Thank you very much
    We are sorry for the delay in responses! But we're definitely here to welcome you and to help you along the way, with whatever you need!

For sure! Use the phone as you have been doing, and switch along the way if you need be! What kind of apps are you going to research? If you need any recommendations for apps, let us know!
    11-09-2017 08:38 AM
    Hi welcome to the other side of the bridge. I was a WP user too and have found the switch to android pretty strait forward.

Most of your questions have been answered which is great. Wanted to draw your attention to Microsoft launcher, which if you are still integrated into office and Windows is a great way to integrate your phone into your set up.
    Morty2264 and mary beth hale like this.
    11-27-2017 12:24 PM
    Hi welcome to the other side of the bridge. I was a WP user too and have found the switch to android pretty strait forward.

Most of your questions have been answered which is great. Wanted to draw your attention to Microsoft launcher, which if you are still integrated into office and Windows is a great way to integrate your phone into your set up.
    Awesome recommendation! Microsoft Launcher does look pretty cool!
    mary beth hale and Wbutchart like this.
    11-28-2017 08:45 AM