Reason For Using a Case

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So I've always wondered the different reasons we like to use a case with our phones. Apart from keeping it scratch free, or protecting it from a drop though, does anyone have a more specific use when it comes to buying the type of case you buy for your phone?

I personally like to buy big, rugged cases for one reason and that's for comfort. I don't know if anyone feels the same way specially those individuals with big hands, but I hate how thin phones keep on getting because I have big hands and using it without a case feels uncomfortable to use. I like buying cases for the added thickness to make my phone feel more comfortable to use. And also since I bought the Samsung case with a kickstand for my Galaxy Note 8 I may be adding that requirement as well for future cases.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Protection. I don't want the insane defender cases but the extra grip / some protection is why I use one.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you about thin phones, which seems to me entirely unnecessary. Apart from a better grip, a thicker phone allows a bigger battery to be fitted, and also a camera with longer focal-length lens and correspondingly bigger camera sensor. All those are good things.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The general consumer seems to value traits that doom us all. They like phones expensive, thin and made of glass... So ferociously delicate, slippery and just as expensive to fix.

I tend to use cases to protect against the wear and tear of daily use and to help me hold on to these greased little pigs. Though, if not for the wear and tear aspect, I'd go without a case on my black 2 XL... The coating on the metal body, which so many seem to hate on, makes it pretty easy to hold. Not sure what that's all about... It didn't feel like plastic, it feels like powder coated metal.

I'd applaud a move back to high quality grippy plastic phone bodies that only required a good screen protector (fully covering a flat glass screen!) to protect it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't always use a case, but I do use a screen protector. The LG V20 is metal, so it's not excessively slippery. I do have a thin clear case that I'll use occasionally.

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My husband had the S8Active and that had a pretty rigged case on it to begin with. Nice phone. We did put a screen protector and another case on it. I don't think he'll have any problems.

I dropped my Note yesterday, on pavement. I have the Spigen Rugged Crystal on it, and the Spigen film screen protector. Not a scratch... But is so afraid to pick up the phone......

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When I work out, I am standing, sitting, laying on a bench or on the floor. Rubberized cases prevent my phone from sliding out of my pocket. Alternatively, I could leave my device in my gym bag and listen through bluetooth headphones, but for certain exercises...I need the right song.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Apart from adding a hint of extra security to my phone (I almost always buy thin cases or skins for my phones), cases add a new flair to my devices and a new style too. I often place my phone face-down so I take careful thought and consideration into what cases I choose for my phones.

countrydirt

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I drop my phone all of the time and have since I gave up on my Motorola bag phone. Flips, blocks, blackberry, droids, didn't matter, I drop them all.

Craig Okuna

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
So I've always wondered the different reasons we like to use a case with our phones. Apart from keeping it scratch free, or protecting it from a drop though, does anyone have a more specific use when it comes to buying the type of case you buy for your phone?

I personally like to buy big, rugged cases for one reason and that's for comfort. I don't know if anyone feels the same way specially those individuals with big hands, but I hate how thin phones keep on getting because I have big hands and using it without a case feels uncomfortable to use. I like buying cases for the added thickness to make my phone feel more comfortable to use. And also since I bought the Samsung case with a kickstand for my Galaxy Note 8 I may be adding that requirement as well for future cases.
Currently use an S8 plus. I don't normally use cases but decided to get one for this phone because it felt too narrow for me to hold comfortably

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Why use a case? Because manufacturers care more about aesthetics to make a sale than making them practical, considering these are the most used and carried devices in our lives today. No excuse for it IMO, glass fronts, glass backs, screens that crack if you look at them wrong. It's a joke and I wish someone would actually get a clue.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Why use a case? Because manufacturers care more about aesthetics to make a sale than making them practical, considering these are the most used and carried devices in our lives today. No excuse for it IMO, glass fronts, glass backs, screens that crack if you look at them wrong. It's a joke and I wish someone would actually get a clue.
The glass front is understandable. It's either scratch resist glass but can break if handled too roughly or a plastic screen that scratches if you look at it wrong. Doesn't Moto ship phones with glass screen protectors because the Shattershield screen is plastic and scratched by fingerprints?

The glass back is more for looks though. I get the no metal to get wireless charging bit, but we have high qualitypolycarbonate stuff. The first batch of Lumias from Nokia did not feel cheap. We've had kevlar backed phones as well. Samsung has a subsidiary that makes carbon fiber materials, so technically they can pull that off cheaper than anybody else. Imagine a Note with proper fingerprint placement (back or front), with textured carbon fiber back. Dang it's almost a sin to put a case on that.

TheJuuj

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I usually sell my phone when I decide to upgrade and having it in mint condition helps preserve its value and makes it easier to sell

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Usually prefer bumper, skin and tempered glass screen protector. That way I minimize change in thickness. I consider all of those things as wear surfaces that I can easily replace but in no way do I consider them insurance against breakage from a drop; for that I rely on a device protection plan.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use an Otterbox defender for the protection and grip, but also for the holster. I've always carried my phones (and two-way radios before we had cellphones) on my belt, and that's what I'm used to.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
About 2 months ago i had my MXPE come out of my handlebar bag and bounce along the road i was riding along on my bike. I use cases for protection, grip and resale. Ive had good luck with the diztronic slim cases.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I use a plush leather folio Case Mate because it blunts the hardness of the corners on the phone. For me much more comfortable and makes S8+ feel smaller.

Cody Travers

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
For me, the main purpose is just to keep it safe from being broken.

I didn't have the right case on my Samsung S6 and it fell down. It got a dent at the top and it slowly started to die. I lost everything in next 2 months.

Too bad I didn't have the backup. Wish I had a proper case back then. :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech