On the hunt for the next one!

Kyletroy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
So I'm currently using a Samsung Captivate on AT&T.
It's a great phone and I love it but I'd really like to get a phone with a QWERTY Physical Keyboard and if possible a front facing camera.
I'm VERY interested in the Sony Xperia Pro (Not the mini) I'm not sure if its going to be released in the US or even on AT&T for that matter.

SO heres where you come in. I've been looking for a good phone with a QWERTY Keyboard that is running 2.2 or higher and isn't to tiny. Got any suggestions?
I do need it to be able to run on AT&T 3G/4G or a network where I can get a plan with unlimited data & texting for under $40 :p (Calls are so last year haha not much of a talker)

Dream phone specs:
Qwerty Keyboard
Front Facing Camera
HD Video Recording
Flash
4G
AT&T Compatible

(If this is posted incorrectly I apologize. I looked and this seemed the best place :p)

-Kyle

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
one does not exist right now for at&t's "4g" your only possible option might be importing a motorola milestone 2, if you dont mind edge then you can unlock a tmobile g2

but neither have a Front facing camera.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
who at&t is working on 4g? yea they have their faux 4g now but supposedly will rollout LTE in the summer starting in NYC.

But those phones i listed will not operate on LTE or HSPA+, Currently as far as i know there is no phone that will operate on at&t's HSPA+ network with a physical qwerty

Kyletroy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats actually really disappointing that there is such a lack of good phones of AT&T.

Why can't a man have a new upgraded phone with all the specs he desires!?!?! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?! :p

Kyletroy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Other then the camera and the fact it doesn't run on AT&T Sidekick 4G seems like a pretty nice match...

Dream phone specs:
Qwerty Keyboard - Check :)
Front Facing Camera - Check :)
HD Video Recording - No :(
Flash - No :(
4G - Sorta :-\
AT&T Compatible - No :(

+ It has WiFi Calling! Which helps me because I'm not much of a talker & when I do I'm mostly at work or home where wifi is provided.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Desire Z would be the closest thing to what you're looking for. Mine got fantastic data speeds, and the keyboard is not bad at all. After using a Captivate for so long, you're going to tire of the physical keys and wish your phone was thinner and lighter again. The only thing the DZ lacks is the Front-Facing Camera, but seriously, video chat on Android is so undercooked right now, the FFC shouldn't be on anyone's list of requirements.

Check out the Desire Z from Canada, though. I bought one a few months back and it sold on eBay for only around $350 or so. I'm sure you could find one relatively inexpensively. Search for "Desire Z a7275," as that will have the proper bands for AT&T.

Kyletroy

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've looked into the Desire Z.. It pretty close. I'm not sure though. I'd hate to spend so much and then have the Xperia Pro come out because it's supposedly coming out Q2 so June 1st is its rumored date.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Other then the camera and the fact it doesn't run on AT&T Sidekick 4G seems like a pretty nice match...

Dream phone specs:
Qwerty Keyboard - Check :)
Front Facing Camera - Check :)
HD Video Recording - No :(
Flash - No :(
4G - Sorta :-\
AT&T Compatible - No :(

+ It has WiFi Calling! Which helps me because I'm not much of a talker & when I do I'm mostly at work or home where wifi is provided.

the wifi calling only works on tmobiles network, the 4g wont work on ATT, and it will be locked to edge only.

Ah yes i forgot about the desire Z i knew there was another qwerty device. thank you.

The only two things on your list that are causing issues is the QWERTY keyboard and 4g right now on at&t you can have one or the other unfortunately.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana