Hello all, I read into a bit of a frustrating issue with Google Contacts this evening, but I managed to figure out what caused it so I wanted to pass it along.

I found that about 1/5 of my contacts stopped getting synced to my phone at some point... I think it first occurred sometime around the premiere of Thor: Ragnarok based on a couple of texts I got from a friend that showed as numbers and not name... But it wasn't until this evening that I really noticed enough to look. Open contacts.google.com and compare counts for 'My Contacts' with those from the same list in the Google Contacts app on your phone. If they are off, this is what you need to do to fix it.

The issue stems from the inclusion of the URL pointing to a contact's Google+ profile. Normally, if you add someone to your Google Contacts, it'll automatically attempt to pull in their Google profile, including any profile links like YouTube or Google+. But when you add someone to your contacts FROM Google+, it sticks their profile URL into the contact record as a web link. This link appears to be the source of the problem.

For whatever reason, on Android, if a person's g+ URL is saved to the contact, it breaks it and it will soon disappear from your phone. If added from desktop or chrome, it'll save to your account but it'll never sync to your phone. If you add it from the Google+ app, it will get saved, but only temporarily.. it'll disappear in a minute or two and not sync anywhere.

The fix is easy... Just go to contacts.google.com and edit the contact, removing that profile URL. When your save it, it'll pop up on your phone in seconds. If you add a contact from the app, just delete the URL before you save.
    B. Diddy, belodion and sixty_four like this.
    12-05-2017 11:28 PM
    Yep,

This nailed it for me!

As a contribution, I'll provide this tip: since you may realize which contacts are missing, if you go to contacts.google.com and search within your contacts for "profiles," it will bring up the ones with the url that breaks the sync. That should save you a lot of time.

One more observation - at least for me, all of the contacts that were not synching were ones that I had had starred/favorited for years.

Later,

Matt!
    12-06-2017 07:32 AM
    Same for me as well. I also had three contacts that didn't have G+ profiles didn't sync. I had to remove some extra special dates and notes from those contacts as well. I got those to sync then. Just FYI.
    12-06-2017 08:22 AM
    The issue appears to be contacts with any URL and only presented itself to me yesterday when I upgraded from Android 6.0 to 8.0.

I had some business contacts with their company website URLs stored within the contact fields that would not sync to my new phone, along with a bunch of other contacts with G+ profile links.

Deleting the URLs from each of the contacts brought them straight over.
    12-06-2017 10:00 AM
    Such an interesting bug.
    12-06-2017 05:49 PM
    Yeah, guessing they messed with the contact storage, and the existence of that URL won't allow it to save the record. If you create a contact like that, it'll show for a few seconds, enough time for the commit to time out and get rejected.

If I had my druthers, I'd pull the logs and find the exact error.
    12-06-2017 07:06 PM
    This is starting to pick up some steam... I've seen a few posts on various tech sites... No one appears to know how to fix it... Hmm..
    12-08-2017 07:55 AM
    This is starting to pick up some steam... I've seen a few posts on various tech sites... No one appears to know how to fix it... Hmm..
    Looks like for me it is contacts with relationships (e.g. sister, brother, co-worker) and those fields are duplicated in the contact now. Once I update the contact and save, they reappear on my phone.
    12-08-2017 09:44 PM