How Can I Respond to Snobby Apple Fanboys About the Security Hole?

thesconix

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I've already been attacked about these new security problems by some Apple fanboys and just all around Android haters. How can I respond to them?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So I've already been attacked about these new security problems by some Apple fanboys and just all around Android haters. How can I respond to them?

Just ignore them, seriously. Having been in countless discussions over multiple products with fanboys its just not worth it.

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just ignore them, seriously. Having been in countless discussions over multiple products with fanboys its just not worth it.

This is so true it's not even funny. Thing is I don't really care what apple is doing with the iphone, I love my macbook pro, I might get another ipad, but the iphone simply doesn't interest me, yet i've been given the most ridiculous of arguments why they are better than my htc evo it's not worth going into discussions.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
This is so true it's not even funny. Thing is I don't really care what apple is doing with the iphone, I love my macbook pro, I might get another ipad, but the iphone simply doesn't interest me, yet i've been given the most ridiculous of arguments why they are better than my htc evo it's not worth going into discussions.

My statement was meant to be applied to any company,product,software,etc and not just Apple. It's just not worth the energy to engage in the discussion because it will be a no win situation for all parties involved.

To me, the better person is the one who can acknowledge the benefits of a product/company despite being a fan of something else.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for a toy that is limited in it's capabilities and are not technical at all then the Iphone is a better device. If you want something that can do what you want it to and be able to customize it as you wish then you ant Android. Your Evo is a much better device. Security holes? Which ones are hey speaking of?

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My statement was meant to be applied to any company,product,software,etc and not just Apple. It's just not worth the energy to engage in the discussion because it will be a no win situation for all parties involved.

To me, the better person is the one who can acknowledge the benefits of a product/company despite being a fan of something else.

Well yeah true , it just seems Iget these messages from self proclaimed apple fans.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I was about to suggest the same thing! It took Apple how long to release a patch once the gps issue was known? And how long did it take Google to release a patch after the issue was made public?

I'm not sure how long Google knew about the issue, but seems to be damn good for an update.

There's a difference between issuing a fix on your servers and issuing a fix to several million handsets. A better comparison would be the SMS issue with Android and the location issue.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Did they ever fix the iPhone security issue where they showed hackers could access all private information on the device in less than six minutes? Hackers could jailbreak an iPhone (even when locked) and bypass all security.

How long did it take Apple to acknowledge and fix the ability to take over a jailbroken phone with an SMS message?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Use this. I shut one of my iphone toting friends up about that with this.

Hacking competition leaves Android, Windows Phone 7 undefeated - CNN.com

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Not a good story to use:

"The survival of a target at Pwn2Own does not automatically declare it safer than a target that went down," last year's Internet Explorer Pwn2Own winner Peter Vreugdenhil cautions. The contestants who were lined up to beat the Android and WP7 devices in the competition withdrew for a variety of reasons.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Did they ever fix the iPhone security issue where they showed hackers could access all private information on the device in less than six minutes? Hackers could jailbreak an iPhone (even when locked) and bypass all security.

How long did it take Apple to acknowledge and fix the ability to take over a jailbroken phone with an SMS message?

Yes to all of the above. Your last one though is perhaps one of the weakest arguments against iOS I've yet heard though. A jailbroken device, by its very nature is compromised. It is not Apple's job to fix security on a device that has already been compromised by the user.

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
iPhone. So simple that even an idiot can use it. So lock down only an idiot can enjoy it.

I say ingore the fanboys as they do not know anything. This goes double for Apple fanboys who I have found of the major fanboys to be the worse at understanding anything technological. They just repeat what ever their church (Apple) or God (Steve Jobs) says no matter if it is true or not. They are complete worthless when it comes to getting any real help on any matters with techology. This goes double if it is an Apple product as their response is "Call Apple care"

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
iPhone. So simple that even an idiot can use it. So lock down only an idiot can enjoy it.

I say ingore the fanboys as they do not know anything. This goes double for Apple fanboys who I have found of the major fanboys to be the worse at understanding anything technological. They just repeat what ever their church (Apple) or God (Steve Jobs) says no matter if it is true or not. They are complete worthless when it comes to getting any real help on any matters with techology. This goes double if it is an Apple product as their response is "Call Apple care"

Using sweeping generalizations about people isn't a good strategy. If it was, every person that uses Android would be a pimple-faced, celibate nerd.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My first reaction is to ignore them. But if they continue just say that the security hole is already being addressed by Google and did not deny it or sweep it under the rug. Unlike Apple who will likely just blame the end user or say it is an industry wide problem (look at their reaction to "antenagate").