Long term Windows user switching to Android - Have Doubts

Aniruddh Sharma

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi All.

I have been a long time WP/W10M user and now making the switch to Android. I have already purchased a BB Priv and would like some help regarding the following queries.

1. Is it mandatory to use a gmail account in Android?

2. Although I have a gmail account but my primary email it is of hotmail and I would like to continue using that on my Priv. Can the calendar and contacts sync directly if i sync my hotmail account? If not, what is the other way (Outlook App)?

3. I would like to continue to save my contact in my outlook account only. How do I do that? Have no intention of using my gmail account.

4. Would be installing the Microsoft Launcher. Anyway, that can help?

5. Can i send whatsapp messages directly from the phonebook or people app (Microsoft App)

6. What apps can I get rid of in the Priv that are just not required but are there anyway.

For now, this is all. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi All.

I have been a long time WP/W10M user and now making the switch to Android. I have already purchased a BB Priv and would like some help regarding the following queries.

1. Is it mandatory to use a gmail account in Android?

2. Although I have a gmail account but my primary email it is of hotmail and I would like to continue using that on my Priv. Can the calendar and contacts sync directly if i sync my hotmail account? If not, what is the other way (Outlook App)?

3. I would like to continue to save my contact in my outlook account only. How do I do that? Have no intention of using my gmail account.

4. Would be installing the Microsoft Launcher. Anyway, that can help?

5. Can i send whatsapp messages directly from the phonebook or people app (Microsoft App)

6. What apps can I get rid of in the Priv that are just not required but are there anyway.

For now, this is all. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

I was a long time WP user as well. I'll chip in here where I can.

1. Before you get too invested with the Priv, you need to visit the Priv forum. I'm not sure it will keep you happy in the long run. I went straight to a Samsung Galaxy S7 from my Icon. No issues with the S7. You'll need your Google info to set up the phone. You don't have to use the gmail email, just keep using hotmail email.

2. I would think the calendar and events from hotmail will sync. I have a Live email address on my phone and the only thing I chose to sync was email and contacts.

3. I believe it's possible

4. I've used the MS Launcher. I don't remember it adding any MS-type features.

5. Sorry, don't use Whatsapp. You may be able to set it as the default messaging app.

6. Can't help. Never used a Priv.

I understand not wanting to go all in on android, but think about it this way. If you're on WP use the WP products. If you're on android, use the Google products. You're going to get better syncing, notifications and everything else if you use the services of the OS you're utilizing. While MS does offer their products and services on android, I still prefer the Google-specific products. Sure install Word, Excel and everything else MS. But also keep an open mind to the Google stuff.

Last edited:

rocknrollover

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I was a long time WP user as well. I'll chip in here where I can.

1. Before you get too invested with the Priv, you need to visit the Priv forum. I'm not sure it will keep you happy in the long run. I went straight to a Samsung Galaxy S7 from my Icon. No issues with the S7. You'll need your Google info to set up the phone. You don't have to use the gmail email, just keep using hotmail email.

2. I would think the calendar and events from hotmail will sync. I have a Live email address on my phone and the only thing I chose to sync was email and contacts.

3. I believe it'spossible

4. I've used the MS Launcher. I don't remember it adding any MS-type features.

5. Sorry, don't use Whatsapp. You may be able to set it as the default messaging app.

6. Can't help. Never used a Priv.

I understand not wanting to go all in on android, but think about it this way. If you're on WP use the WP products. If you're on android, use the Google products. You're going to get better syncing, notifications and everything else if you use the services of the OS you're utilizing. While MS does offer their products and services on android, I still prefer the Google-specific products. Sure install Word, Excel and everything else MS. But also keep an open mind to the Google stuff.

I a also was a Windows 10 mobile user really don't miss to much w10 stuff I did like the live tiles but in the end Android is for me the best way to go.

gottago

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I too switched from Windows and use MS apps. For integrated mail, calendar and contacts, I use Outlook for Android.

I do have and use a Gmail account but I access through Outlook. The Gmail account gives you access to the play store and the plethora of apps.

I use my live account as my primary email and calendar. Outlook contacts is a work in progress for MS but I use it primarily. Outlook contacts will sync with google but all edits have to be made in Android/google. MS is working on the edit functionality.

I use MS Launcher also but there's no resemblance to Windows at all, it's just a very clean launcher, imho.

I don't use What'sApp not do I use a Priv.

Good luck with your transition. once I moved I never looked back!

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I miss the live tiles but not having a huge selection of apps became a bummer...i feel window phone was my perfect phone for a while and the only alternative was going back to android.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft completely screwed that platform up... Had they executed it properly, they could have had a seamless desktop/mobile experience.. but not being able to get traction with apps killed it.

I think they were trying to do too much.. they had an OS, a console group, mobile, enterprise services, etc... And they chose poorly by not recognizing that mobile was going to grow to dominate the space. Had they gone hell bent for glory, we'd have three fully fleshed out mobile platforms to pick from. If even go so far as to say that had they managed to integrate it with desktop the way they wanted, it would have probably grown to be the market leader.

Derp

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^ I might have been using a Lumia 1020 successor. Think of the camera, with five years' worth of improvements in the hardware and software gubbins. :(

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm trying an S8+; i'm using Launcher 10, and after some work, I can get it to look a bit like my beloved 950 XL, which was such an awesome phone! Screenshot_20180128-211113.jpg
Even though it's super buggy to set up (not nearly as smooth ast the real thing), at least it doesn't 'look' like an Android phone....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying an S8+; i'm using Launcher 10, and after some work, I can get it to look a bit like my beloved 950 XL, which was such an awesome phone! View attachment 278496
Even though it's super buggy to set up (not nearly as smooth ast the real thing), at least it doesn't 'look' like an Android phone....

Wow! Love your setup! I've always loved the Windows tiles.

Also, I've used that Holy Bible app too - it's great!