Just wanted to spark some discussion about Google Play Music.

I tried the app a few months ago ... it was a one-month trial that included access to ad-free YouTube - which was awesome! But the Google Play Music app itself was really frustrating to use. It was a mess ... archaic, oddly layed out, and just overall confusing to use. Not user-friendly would be a good way to put it.

Has this always been the case with Google Play Music? I had no complaints about the content - that part was great - it's the app that seemingly needs a lot of attention.

Just curious to know what you think about GPM - the app and the service itself.

I'm considering signing up again, but also apprehensive just based on previous frustration level using the app.
    02-06-2018 10:30 PM
    you are much more polite than I am about gpm. it's streaming service isn't bad and the fact that we can upload 50k songs. but the interface is bad and personal music is atrocious, it's not thought out, it is counterintuitive. I could go on but I might run it of space.
    kct1975 likes this.
    02-07-2018 12:35 AM
    I think the app itself (and the website) work fine for my purposes. I primarily listen to my own music I've uploaded, and will occasionally listen to a radio station or podcast, so I can't comment on the subscription. Sure, the app may not be the best designed one out there, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and these days I never feel particularly frustrated by it. It does what I need it to do, and the ability to access all of my music anywhere and any time makes up for any design quirks.
    02-07-2018 10:49 AM
    my biggest complaints are the inability to edit meta data on the app and how poorly implemented it is on the website and the fact we are only allowed 1,000 songs in a playlist
    02-07-2018 12:26 PM
    I think the app itself (and the website) work fine for my purposes. I primarily listen to my own music I've uploaded, and will occasionally listen to a radio station or podcast, so I can't comment on the subscription. Sure, the app may not be the best designed one out there, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and these days I never feel particularly frustrated by it. It does what I need it to do, and the ability to access all of my music anywhere and any time makes up for any design quirks.
    Great feedback - thank you! I think I'm going to give it another go (if for no other reason other than it's a great deal with ad-free YouTube!)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-08-2018 12:33 AM
    I personally like Google Play Music; but I only have one album and a few other songs installed on it; so I'm sure that when I buy more music, I'll use it more frequently. I like it more than the native music app that came with my Honor 8.
    02-13-2018 08:35 AM
    I just pulled the trigger and subscribed to Google Play Music, and I'm really enjoying the vast library at my fingertips!
    02-13-2018 10:23 AM
    GPM has been great for me. I use their radio stations and playlists to discover new music that I then add to my own playlists.

I don't fumble around with the UI much since I just find a playlist and let it run.
    02-13-2018 01:20 PM
    my biggest complaints are the inability to edit meta data on the app
    For your own uploaded music?
    02-13-2018 01:21 PM
    GPM has been great for me. I use their radio stations and playlists to discover new music that I then add to my own playlists.

I don't fumble around with the UI much since I just find a playlist and let it run.
    The big question is ... who's the top dog when it comes to music discovery - Google Play Music or Pandora? 😁
    02-13-2018 01:48 PM
    The big question is ... who's the top dog when it comes to music discovery - Google Play Music or Pandora?
    My requirements are generally simple.

Pop/Dance/EDM remixes.

Everything else is just the recommended songs for other genres.
    02-13-2018 04:25 PM
    Pop/Dance/EDM remixes.
    Do we need to start calling you DJ Ry?
    02-14-2018 01:16 AM
    The big question is ... who's the top dog when it comes to music discovery - Google Play Music or Pandora?
    Hm not sure. Pandora was good for awhile when I used it years ago but then all my stations went to crap. To the point where they weren't even close to the original music.

I like GPM but I do admit Spotify and others seem to have better discovery and just easier to navigate apps. I keep GPM since i get it cheap, I have some big playlists built over the years, and YouTube Red is a nice perk.
    02-14-2018 11:06 AM
    For your own uploaded music?
    yes.
    02-15-2018 07:58 PM