Is anyone shocked how popular the pixel has become?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean it's crazy how popular the phone has become and honestly stock pixel isn't that different than sense and one plus version of Android, very light and very fast on updates.

The iphone is a different type of phone from all others, software and experience but the pixel if getting popular while looking relatively the same as other android phones with a few different features
I've never even seen one in the wild.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a hard time believing this honestly. Take Michael Fisher for instance. I doubt he was paid by someone to say that the displays were bad. I think SOME reviewers might be paid but most seem to say it when that's the case.
They're not paid to say it is bad, they are paid to generate interest in their content. One of the ways to do that is to engage in controversy.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't know how popular the pixel series is. besides my phone, I know I have seen one pixel XL and possibly sighted a regular pixel. I have yet to see a pixel 2 or 2xl anywhere other than in store displays. I have seen numerous iPhone X, 8 pluses, note 8's and lg g6's

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say they're that popular. At least not with regular people. I've only seen one in the wild, and they returned it for an S8+ because they didn't like how many features they lost compared to Samsung.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a couple Pixel 2's (regular and XL) "in the wild". I also noticed they're gaining traction in the entertainment world - Sean Hayes' character (and maybe others) on Will & Grace uses a Panda Pixel 2 XL and I think I've seen some in other shows. It's not really a product placement thing unless you know what you're looking at, they've been careful to hide any logos.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
According to some guy at the IDC Google sold 3.9 M Pixel phone units in 2017. That puts them in the top 5 OEM's in terms of flagship sales for the US market, but only top 10 on overall sales in the US.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a couple Pixel 2's (regular and XL) "in the wild". I also noticed they're gaining traction in the entertainment world - Sean Hayes' character (and maybe others) on Will & Grace uses a Panda Pixel 2 XL and I think I've seen some in other shows. It's not really a product placement thing unless you know what you're looking at, they've been careful to hide any logos.

That's pretty cool that there have been TV show sightings of the Panda!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
The camera plus Google photos makes it really stand out. Take all the photos you want, they will look great and you get them backed up for free so you aren't running out of space.

Golem2018

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
Well yes I am, cause it is not available in most European and Nordic countries. If Google wants the Pixel phones to be a succes, start launcing them world wide.

jhrain

May 3, 2016
Visit site
No surprise. Google fixed all the initially reported issues. FAST... they owned up to them. I've been using the Pixel 2 XL and it has very few shortcomings.

I can only imagine how much more successful it could be if the price were a little lower. Looking forward to Googles 3 Series. They are going to leap frog iOS/Apple at their current improvement rate.

jct_iii

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
My first "Pixel Shock" came when I pulled out my P2XL at a Family gathering to take some pictures, and my 11-year-old neice gasped, and said with the most awe I've ever heard out of her mouth, "Woah, you have the Pixel 2 XL?!?" That side of my family is almost exclusively iSheep, so I was amazed that she even knew what Android was, much less was able to rattle off the phone by name. I haven't seen another P2 or P2XL in the wild yet, but her reaction was all I needed to know that Google really has something here.

anon(10305563)

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Well, considering the numbers (~ 4 million units sold), then it's not really popular. And seeing how many issues both Pixel 2 and 2 XL have (especially the 2XL version)... I got a Pixel XL (first gen) and i can say the following:
Apart from reading news about other smartphones/brands, I'm now actually only interested in purchasing Google Pixel smartphones. There's no single other brand capable of providing better performance, software and camera quality in a smartphone. I can't go back to another brand knowing i might not get updates, lacking image quality in camera and having to deal with software/apps i don't want. I would say, there's no single feature that makes the Pixel better than other phones - it's the Pixel itself which is just better than others if considering all points.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw pixel in movie Wonder. One of the teen use it briefly in one of the scene

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
According to some guy at the IDC Google sold 3.9 M Pixel phone units in 2017. That puts them in the top 5 OEM's in terms of flagship sales for the US market, but only top 10 on overall sales in the US.

thats a good start for a brief 18 months in the market. i am hoping google would end exclusivity and expand to the big 4 with pixel 3. but i think the exclusivity might be 3 years i am afraid

iamtron

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not surprised. I think it shows that there are many people that are sick of the constant phone upgrade cycle. Finally having an Android option that will receive timely security and OS updates for a few years is what they've (I've) been looking for. IPhone's do it but nothing on the Android side had it. Now it is an option for Android users and they are jumping at it.

foxxkat

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
shocked is too strong a word. surprised? a little, considering pixel2 shipped with a host of issues, including some that went under media's radar, check it out at the google products forum.

really surprised at how good the whole experience using pixel2.

and shocked that apple hasn't come out to claim they invented popular first.

Denverkosta

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
Even though I don't agree that the sales are drying up, you do have a point about it's popularity. One place where it is popular is tech vloggers unanimously love this phone, as do actual owners

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Popular by what measure? I've literally never seen one "in the wild," and sales numbers indicate that Pixels don't sell nearly as well as phones from Android OEMs like Samsung, LG or even Motorola.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy