Is anyone shocked how popular the pixel has become?

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I mean it's crazy how popular the phone has become and honestly stock pixel isn't that different than sense and one plus version of Android, very light and very fast on updates.

The iphone is a different type of phone from all others, software and experience but the pixel if getting popular while looking relatively the same as other android phones with a few different features

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope.

Especially playing up the camera in the marketing. Camera is important to a lot of customers.

Not OS updates.
Not security updates.
Not SD cards.
Not removable batteries.
Not unlocked, no carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not shocked. Google has Verizon helping with the advertising. For the US that's a big player to be advertising & putting your phone in their store displays.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope.

Especially playing up the camera in the marketing. Camera is important to a lot of customers.

Not OS updates.
Not security updates.
Not SD cards.
Not removable batteries.
Not unlocked, no carrier.
This as well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no. I'm not shocked at its popularity per se, but I am shocked that removing features is considered an "upgrade" and Google is the best at that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. I'm not shocked at its popularity per se, but I am shocked that removing features is considered an "upgrade" and Google is the best at that.
I think removing obsolete features can be looked at as an upgrade, in general, but I don't think there's a consensus on which features are obsolete.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not really, they partnered with Verizon for advertising. They used Samsungs strategy to get Verizon to push their phones and it worked.

Had this phone not gotten the carrier support and heavy advertising, it would of just been another Nexus in terms of sales.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pleasantly surprised with its prevalence. In today's land of Samsung and Apple, it's nice to have a third player in the game.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
It seems like it's the rave reviews it has been getting about the camera and smooth, stock Android interface. Would have been that much better if it had a headphone jack, removable battery and microSD card slot though. 😁

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it's the rave reviews it has been getting about the camera and smooth, stock Android interface. Would have been that much better if it had a headphone jack, removable battery and microSD card slot though.
Two of those things would have been major detractions IMO. I'm ambivalent to the headphone jack, but definitely do not want the other two.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
OP, not sure how you're determining popularity. I know it's not by market share, so maybe level of discussion/press..?

I think the device is great and understand the appeal. Google is the biggest computer in the world and having a branded device that optimizes and harnesses that power better than any other device is attractive.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OP, not sure how you're determining popularity. I know it's not by market share, so maybe level of discussion/press..?

I think the device is great and understand the appeal. Google is the biggest computer in the world and having a branded device that optimizes and harnesses that power better than any other device is attractive.

I think perhaps compared to other startups - Razer has sold what, 20k devices? Essential, 50k? Versus the Pixel line which, granted it is in it's second year, is around 5-10 million projected sales by the end of the season? That puts them ahead of Moto in terms of flagship sales, within the US, which may make them a top 5 OEM for that market.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I mean it's crazy how popular the phone has become and honestly stock pixel isn't that different than sense and one plus version of Android, very light and very fast on updates.

The iphone is a different type of phone from all others, software and experience but the pixel if getting popular while looking relatively the same as other android phones with a few different features

Not shocked about it being popular

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I like to add what features I use. I dont really care for phones that have a ton of gimmicky features that Im not going to use anyway. To each their own, but thats my opinion :)

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel as a product no. For many enthusiasts, you can't really argue with impeccable sofware, timely and regular updates, an amazing camera and so on. All straight from the makers of Android.

Now of course personal preference come into play but I'm talking as a general thing. I'm one of those said enthusiasts but I'm not interested in the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. I had a Pixel but after 3 months got a bit bored of it and got an S8 and never looked back.

That being said, the Pixel doesn't seem, in my area of the world at least (Canada), to be THAT popular amongst regular people. Samsung and Motorola would be the winners here.

I am really surprised that the Pixel 2 XL became so popular though! Every reviewer was complaining about it when it came out. Bad display, some screens with a blue shift, no headphone jack, more expensive for less in comparison to last year's models and other phones on the market. Yet they almost all have one as a daily driver now (or so it seems). That surprised me a lot.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am really surprised that the Pixel 2 XL became so popular though! Every reviewer was complaining about it when it came out. Bad display, some screens with a blue shift, no headphone jack, more expensive for less in comparison to last year's models and other phones on the market. Yet they almost all have one as a daily driver now (or so it seems). That surprised me a lot.

That's mainly due to the reviewers being paid for getting people to click on articles, not to write honest or quality content. The issues that everyone kept reporting on were detected by Ron and one other reviewer and then widely reported as if they actually existed on most or all devices.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
That's mainly due to the reviewers being paid for getting people to click on articles, not to write honest or quality content. The issues that everyone kept reporting on were detected by Ron and one other reviewer and then widely reported as if they actually existed on most or all devices.

I have a hard time believing this honestly. Take Michael Fisher for instance. I doubt he was paid by someone to say that the displays were bad. I think SOME reviewers might be paid but most seem to say it when that's the case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7