07-28-2019 07:38 AM
65 123
tools
    I like to watch TV series on my phone never movies. All the shows I watch are normal HD ratio. Look great on a 16:9 ratio phone.
    02-28-2018 07:49 PM
    I absolutely dislike for the design that the Samsung Galaxy phones have taken. For one I think the curved edges especially on the Galaxy Note are absolutely a gimmick. The phone screens can't be protected as well as a flat screen phone and try using the stylist on the curved edge note. The curved edges on the Galaxy Note line of phones makes even less sense than on the regular Galaxy S phones Also the new taller and thinner aspect ratio really turns me off. I don't know what they are thinking but the aspect ratio on the Galaxy Note 5 to me was perfect. I have been a loyal Samsung phone user for at least 10 years but at this point I am finding that I am having to look elsewhere so I can find a good smartphone with a flat screen.
    Inders99 likes this.
    03-28-2018 07:19 AM
    Samsung I hope you are listening! There are a lot of people out there like myself that look at the functionality of a phone over the overall appearance of the phone. I don't care if my phone is beautiful or not but I do care if it functions beautifully. And the infinity screen adds nothing to my experience but actually did tracks from it
    03-28-2018 07:22 AM
    I absolutely do not like the new aspect ratio being taller and thinner it looks odd to me. Totally out of proportion. The Infiniti screen has got to go as well. The overall quality of the Samsung screen is great but the curved edges need to go they need to flatten the screen back out
    03-28-2018 07:28 AM
    There's really not enough video content for me to place any value in the newer 2:1 aspect ratio devices. I think its only a matter of time though. 16:9 is certainly big enough for my home screen and other apps.

At some point though I won't have any choice and by the time I do need to upgrade theres only going to be one option.
    03-28-2018 09:16 AM
    I don't mind the skinny ratio as I am using a Note8, which is actually wider than a S7 Edge that I came from. The phone fits more content and remains easy to hold and type on.
    03-30-2018 04:15 PM
    I like the size of my Note 8 and S9+ more so than the Mate 9, which has the wider aspect. The Samsungs just fit in my admittably smaller hands better. I also have learned to really like the taller screens.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-30-2018 04:27 PM
    I like the size of my Note 8 and S9+ more so than the Mate 9, which has the wider aspect. The Samsungs just fit in my admittably smaller hands better. I also have learned to really like the taller screens.
    Loving the tall screens, less scrolling when reading articles.
    tadpoles likes this.
    04-01-2018 03:44 AM
    Just don't like the bigger size offerings no matter the shape. Wish they still made nice 5" phones.
    Morty2264 and belodion like this.
    04-01-2018 07:22 AM
    Just don't like the bigger size offerings no matter the shape. Wish they still made nice 5" phones.
    There's always the Pixel and Pixel 2, both are 5inch.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-01-2018 08:24 AM
    In addition to the Pixels, the Honor 8 is 5.2" and there are Sony Compact phones that area small and cool, as well.
    04-02-2018 08:14 PM
    Wide Cinema is now 2.39:1 ratio, so a lot of new films look much better on the new aspect ratio as it reduces the letterboxing.
    I went from an honor 8 with a 5.2" 16:9 screen to a P20 Pro with a 6.1" 18:9 (the space around the notch increases it to 18.7:9) and the phone feels like it's the same size in the hand.
    Jaba Chutlashvili likes this.
    04-10-2018 12:28 PM
    I love 18:9 ratio more than old 16:9, & phone also looks prettier what you call "narrow" phones in my opinion. So yes, I like this new trend.
    07-17-2018 07:22 AM
    Youre right, i came here for the same reason.. Im a J7 user.. My cousin bought S9+ & bragged about how good it is.. Impressive camer i said.. But hey! Look at youtube - its smaller! What the heck.. Why would you buy a mobile you use for watching with narrow screen??? & to think people run & pay for that.. Pfff! Well.. Thats stupid.. I rather buy a potato.
    So im gonna upgrade to S7 😎✌
    09-19-2018 07:20 AM
    Phones may be getting narrower and taller; but cell phone manufacturers are consumer-driven. They will make what the majority of the public demands.

It looks like the majority of users usually want bigger and narrower phones, without headphone jacks (that's kind of sad for me but I haven't had too much issues adjusting to my Pixel 2's lack of a headphone jack), with wireless charging, water resistance, and AOD. I'm sure there are other features that the general public wants and there are always exceptions to the rule; but we are indeed at the mercy of what the majority of consumers want in a phone.

Android Central is a bit of a mixed batch when it comes to users. Lots of us are phone enthusiasts that want specific things that the everyday user may not want, use, or even know about. Of course, you have the users who come for help and those who do want what the general public wants; but it's truly a different world here.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard to argue with manufacturers when they are pushing what people are buying (for the most part). But cell phone trends change, so we'll see what happens in the next few years.
    09-24-2018 07:08 AM
    Phones may be getting narrower and taller; but cell phone manufacturers are consumer-driven. They will make what the majority of the public demands.
    Disagree to a point. They are marketing driving and tell us what we want to like and we do (some of us anyway).

Marketing HAS to come up with fresh ideas in order to drive sales, companies would go out of business if they just had to market the same 'ol thing. How would Samsung be doing if they were still stuck on the Note 4 design (which would be fine with me since it was one of the best phones ever made IMO)...not too good if the competition was touting newer "updated" features.

You see it with every product; cars, computers, tools, clothing, etc. Personally I'm not buying a phone until they come out with one without a notch...and give me a flat screen again please. These things will come around because it'll be something to market again and drive sales.

I don't know a single person that was desiring a narrow phone, or curved screens, or notches, or whatever, they just bought what was offered and moved on.
    Morty2264 and milleniumdroid like this.
    12-29-2018 06:49 AM
    Disagree to a point. They are marketing driving and tell us what we want to like and we do (some of us anyway).

Marketing HAS to come up with fresh ideas in order to drive sales, companies would go out of business if they just had to market the same 'ol thing. How would Samsung be doing if they were still stuck on the Note 4 design (which would be fine with me since it was one of the best phones ever made IMO)...not too good if the competition was touting newer "updated" features.

You see it with every product; cars, computers, tools, clothing, etc. Personally I'm not buying a phone until they come out with one without a notch...and give me a flat screen again please. These things will come around because it'll be something to market again and drive sales.

I don't know a single person that was desiring a narrow phone, or curved screens, or notches, or whatever, they just bought what was offered and moved on.
    I do agree with you! Consumers may buy things that are "new and exciting" that companies (whom they already trust) are putting out. They may think, "well, I liked their past few models/iterations; so perhaps I can give this a try." I'm sure there are many instances of consumers buying "what manufacturers tell them to" - in other words, the new and innovative ideas manufacturers put out in new products that entices consumers because these new ideas are different and enticing.

However, I don't think I think twice (that sounded funny) when it comes to buying products that are "new ideas," in essence. I tend to stick with what I know; and if it has a new twist to offer (like the Pixel 2: it still has bezels which I like; but it also has the new-ish implementation of AOD and I water resistance), then I'll consider it.

It's hard to measure customer purchasing habits and what "comes first/matters most" - the new ideas manufacturers put out that differ from the rest; consumers buying things they are told to; consumers buying what the majority of other consumers buy; etc. There are so many variables that can be measured. It's so interesting, though, to see what motivates mobile phone consumers. Thanks for responding!
    Inders99 and milleniumdroid like this.
    12-29-2018 11:14 AM
    I hate the narfow smart phone trend with a passion. I have larger hands and older eyes. The thin phones have several problems. First of all, the icons and test all have to be smaller and are therefore harder to read. Videos, which are mostly viewed in landscape, are also smaller. I hate typing on my Samsung Note 9. The screen is already too skinny and narrow to type on. The insanely stupid curved screen makes it even more difficult. And yes, I have tried adjusting keyboad size and width. I hate using this phone. I wanted to try DeX which is totally awesome. If it weren't for the DeX, I would sell the phone.
    recDNA likes this.
    03-30-2019 07:56 AM
    The narrowing may be an optical illusion.
    The phones are not getting narrower. They are getting longer while the width remains the same.
    For movie viewing, any movie not in a 18:9 format just adds black margins on the long ends.
    They are certainly getting narrower. Just simply take a good old fashioned tape measure, then check two phones with the same advertised screen size.
    03-30-2019 08:12 PM
    I have Samsung S8+... too narrow and too thin. Very slippery and hard to hold. I had to install a ZeroLemon case with an extended battery.

Dislike the 18:9 screen ratio, 16:9 is better in all ways. Curved edges are annoying as well and completely pointless.

cannot wait until that Energizer Power Max P18K Pop will become available.
    04-01-2019 10:57 AM
    I don't mind it TBH it has its advantages but I agree about these CURVE edge displays. I'll admit at first it got my attention but quickly realized it doesn't work.
    04-02-2019 03:55 PM
    Personally I love curved screen displays (only on the sides though, obviously) and new 18/19:9 aspect ratios for these reasons:

1. New ratio allows for a larger screen without an impossibly wide phone

2. Curved screen makes your display look larger and Samsung’s Edge Panel feature is genuinely useful.

As for new gimmicks/bells and whistles I’m fine with most of them although I wish in display fingerprint scanners were slightly faster. Slider phones and 21:9 aspect ratios are ridiculous in my opinion.

Also I find that the vocal minority of users who want really thick phones and large bezels are either clumsy or just naive (no offense intended).

However, phones are getting bigger and bigger and that’s not really a good thing. Punishing users who choose smaller phones by making those devices inferior is also annoying. Personally I think a (nearly) all screen phones/slim bezels with a display size of 5.5 to 6.3 inches is around right but above or below that is either too large or too small.
    05-01-2019 12:46 PM
    I really don't care about the aspect ratio, but I care about how thin phones have gotten, making user-replaceable batteries impossible - so instead of a $10 battery, it costs $60 or so to have someone open the phone and replace the battery. (I probably could, but at almost 77, I don't trust my ability to do so any more.)

As for curved screens? Not until they warrant an improperly-annealed screen. A curved screen can shatter from the shock of being gently placed on its back on a folded blanket, if there's a strain spot still left in it.

(Those are two reasons I didn't stay with Samsung when I was looking for a phone with a FPS. And I've gotten so used to the one on the rear that it would probably take a while to get used to one behind the digitizer. I thought I'd prefer that, but the way I grab the phone, my index finger is near the rear sensor.)
    Inders99 likes this.
    05-02-2019 04:49 PM
    Can't stand the new taller form. In my front pocket, I'm convinced it's going to get snapped in half when I sit down.
    05-25-2019 10:18 AM
    I like the old 16:9 ratio, in my LG V20 and such.

For several reasons:

1) I read in the portrait mode and the wider screen is nice. Easier to read versus on a narrow phone.

2) I use the horizontal mode for typing. And since I use extended capacity batteries, it scales nicely. I tried a ZeroLemon extended battery for the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus and it made the phone impossibly long, very difficult to type in horizontal mode and equally difficult in vertical mode since it's so narrow.

3) youtube, etc. all scale nicely to 16:9, not 18.5:9

4) 16:9 fits nicely in my pockets. Anything longer such as 18:9 sticks out.

5) 16:9 appears larger than 18:9. It just seems like there is more real estate. Both of my 16:9 phones, Note 4 and LG V20 are 5.7" in size appear to have more real estate than S8+ that's 6.2" and 18.5:9. Strange.

6) As a footnote, some of the real estate is used for on screen keys "home" and "back" and such, so you are not getting the full 6.2" screen size, it's a bit misleading. I think for that reason alone 6.2" S8+ for example has less real estate than Samsung Note 4 that's 5.7" with the buttons not on the screen.
    05-29-2019 09:14 AM
65 123