07-28-2019 07:38 AM
65 123
tools
    I really don't care about the aspect ratio, but I care about how thin phones have gotten, making user-replaceable batteries impossible - so instead of a $10 battery, it costs $60 or so to have someone open the phone and replace the battery. (I probably could, but at almost 77, I don't trust my ability to do so any more.)

As for curved screens? Not until they warrant an improperly-annealed screen. A curved screen can shatter from the shock of being gently placed on its back on a folded blanket, if there's a strain spot still left in it.
    that is a valid point, I've had my S8+ battery replaced after 1.5 years as it wouldn't hold charge, ran me $60 on sale.
    For a relatively tiny 3500mAh battery. For the same amount I could have bought a 10,000 mAh battery (or two) and installed it myself in a phone such as LG V20.

The curved screens being more vulnerable, that is an interesting point as well. My S8 Plus is incredible brittle all around. Front and back. You really have to baby it.
    05-29-2019 09:18 AM
    The fragility problem and curved screen dislikes can easily be solved with a case in most ‘cases’ (lol).

As for the seemingly larger display, that is kinda countered by Samsung’s curved edge display.

I guess the noticeable (but not huge) narrowing down of phones is to make it easier to hold, which is actually true, however ironic it may be.

Because it’s harder to hold something quite wide than it is for something quite narrow, hence the new 18:9 and 19:9 aspect ratios (extreme example: try holding a remote control compared to a small book flat on your palm). Another example could be trying to hold an iPhone 7 Plus in 1 hand compared to the S8 Plus...the latter is narrower and taller but easier/more comfortable to hold.

Don’t get me wrong, I think 21:9 ratios (e.g sony) look and are quite silly and are purely for easier multitasking and movies.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-01-2019 11:57 AM
    The fragility problem and curved screen dislikes can easily be solved with a case in most ‘cases’ (lol).
    I see what you did there.
    07-10-2019 07:30 AM
    I see what you did there.
    I’m glad you did
    07-10-2019 08:02 AM
    I also don't like the narrow phone. I like big phone. It can watch TV and movies and play games. But the narrow phone is disgusting.
    Could you please be more specific as to what aspect ratio? (e.g 18:9-21:9) All modern phones within the past 2 years have an aspect ratio of 18/19:9.

I've already mentioned the benefits of having an 18:9 display compared to 16:9 above...as for 21:9, it looks odd and I don't like it but the apparent advantage is meant to be for multitasking and watching movies (which are filmed in 21:9)
    07-11-2019 09:22 AM
    and 18:9 phones can be plenty big as well!
    07-11-2019 09:22 AM
    At least a longer phone means it's easier to hold and use with one hand operation, so that is an offsetting advantage. The curved screen on the other hand is simply a daily nuisance, I cannot find any usefulness for a curved screen. It "looks" cool to my eyes, but my eyes don't have to touch the screen.
    recDNA and Golurk like this.
    07-11-2019 10:07 AM
    At least a longer phone means it's easier to hold and use with one hand operation, so that is an offsetting advantage. The curved screen on the other hand is simply a daily nuisance, I cannot find any usefulness for a curved screen. It "looks" cool to my eyes, but my eyes don't have to touch the screen.
    Samsung does have software to prevent accidental touches, which (to be fair) works most of the time for me. However, when it does happen it is a bit of a nuisance.

Also, another feature of the curved screen is 'Edge Panel' (quick app/info access panel) which many find quite useful although personally I don't use it that often.
    07-13-2019 11:16 AM
    YES YES YES! A thousand times YES!
    Attachment 279627
    Before you say s8 has more screen no it does not have bigger screen it has just taller screen and everything is more narrow and smaller there

I don't know I feel phone manufactures don't ask people what they want they just do what they want or what Samsung does.I hate the 18:9 aspect ratio and I feel it makes phones very narrow also for movies and youtube watching I feel you get a smaller screen it does not make sense to me and it looks like that the 16:9 phones will disappear from the market but probably I believe the will return in the future...If this continues I will probably go and buy a iphone 8 plus in the future.

What do you think ?Do you agree with this trend?
    07-13-2019 01:57 PM
    He said he wants to watch video! Every video I watch (and I watch a LOT) is 16:9. I don't find the narrow phone better in ANY way. I LIKE 16:9. Movies are better in narrower format because they are meant to be watched on huge screens. Talk to me about 21:9 when TV's and all the shows are 21:9.
    Could you please be more specific as to what aspect ratio? (e.g 18:9-21:9) All modern phones within the past 2 years have an aspect ratio of 18/19:9.

I've already mentioned the benefits of having an 18:9 display compared to 16:9 above...as for 21:9, it looks odd and I don't like it but the apparent advantage is meant to be for multitasking and watching movies (which are filmed in 21:9)
    07-13-2019 02:02 PM
    He said he wants to watch video! Every video I watch (and I watch a LOT) is 16:9. I don't find the narrow phone better in ANY way. I LIKE 16:9. Movies are better in narrower format because they are meant to be watched on huge screens. Talk to me about 21:9 when TV's and all the shows are 21:9.
    Fair point, when it comes to many videos you’re right. However it is important to remember that companies can’t cater for all users...in this case when 18:9 is better for reasons already mentioned than 16:9 they pushed ahead with it.

And plus, I never said I liked 21:9...I just mentioned its supposed benefits.
    07-24-2019 09:05 PM
    I don't concede 18:9 is better for anyone for any reason. 16:9 is better for photography, videos, games and all other purposes. Want a narrower phone? Buy a smaller 16:9 phone.
    07-24-2019 09:34 PM
    I don't concede 18:9 is better for anyone for any reason. 16:9 is better for photography, videos, games and all other purposes. Want a narrower phone? Buy a smaller 16:9 phone.
    Get what suits you...I'll stick with 18:9 so I can have a larger phone.... don't want to go smaller.
    07-24-2019 09:51 PM
    Your first statement isn’t true, but since you seem incapable of being reasoned with, I can’t be bothered to type out all the benefits (and cons) for the third time.

As for your second one, the WHOLE POINT of an 18:9 ratio compared to 16:9 is that it allows for a LARGER SCREEN in the SAME BODY SIZE.

Smaller 16:9 phones will have smaller screens than a same size 18:9 phones...what part of that do you not get?
    07-28-2019 06:09 AM
    I only care about the part of the screen the video occupies and I do not like losing parts of the show with screen fill. Like watching mlb and stretching picture with screen fill you lose the balls and strikes caption. From my perspective a 16/9 phone without bezels is a larger screen not smaller. In 18/9 watching tv if you want to see the entire pic you have a black bar at each end so the larger screen is actually SMALLER. 21/9 OR 18/9 are scams to allow calling a 5.7 inch usable screen as a 6 inch screen! You may never watch tv on your phone. I do. There is no misunderstanding on my part. 16/9 is bigger and better

It is a matter a personal choice of course but a bezel free 16/9 phone would be spectacular with flat screen no rounded edges. AFAIK nobody ever built one.

It's not a matter of reasoning. It's a matter of preference. Many people prefer the narrow phone because of marketing. They are conned by the promise of a bigger screen that really isn't. 16/9 is perfect in my opinion. You have a perfect right to enjoy whatever shape screen you like.
    07-28-2019 07:38 AM
65 123