Will US carriers ban use of Huawei handsets on their networks?

Rohn59

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
I have used a few different Huawei handsets, I'm currently rocking an Honer 6x on At&t. Reportedly Best buy will cease selling Huawei devices. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before the US government pressures carriers in the US to ban consumers from using Huawei devices on their networks altogether? This makes me hesitant to purchase anymore Huawei or Honor handsets. I have been considering the Honor View 10, seems like a great bargain for the price. But I don't want to find out a few months down the road that I purchased a $500 paperweight. LOL

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure to be honest. I think a lot of them just don't want to be seen as selling them. I haven't read about any concerns to block said phones on the network.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have used a few different Huawei handsets, I'm currently rocking an Honer 6x on At&t. Reportedly Best buy will cease selling Huawei devices. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before the US government pressures carriers in the US to ban consumers from using Huawei devices on their networks altogether? This makes me hesitant to purchase anymore Huawei or Honor handsets. I have been considering the Honor View 10, seems like a great bargain for the price. But I don't want to find out a few months down the road that I purchased a $500 paperweight. LOL

I feel your concern. I purchased a Mate 10 Pro and I am still within the return period. I am seriously thinking about returning it now that Best Buy said that they will not carry any of Huawei's phones, laptops, or tables. It is a shame I really like this phone and I probably won't find another phone with an IR Blaster.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I promise I'm not trying to start an argument with this post, but perhaps if China openly apologized and promised that they'd stop installing spyware on their phones, the U.S would change its mind?

China makes some smartphones with amazing hardware, and really big screens too, but it's sad they have to be that way. ☹

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I promise I'm not trying to start an argument with this post, but perhaps if China openly apologized and promised that they'd stop installing spyware on their phones, the U.S would change its mind?

China makes some smartphones with amazing hardware, and really big screens too, but it's sad they have to be that way. ☹

The problem is they've nothing to apologise for? Only the US has accused Huawei of this despite selling their phones without issue in hundreds of other countries. And I only mention Huawei because no other Chinese brand has been targeted in the same way. OnePlus are Chinese, had customers credit card details stolen a few months ago yet are announcing their next phone for US release soon without any of these accusations. Huawei are a threat to the marketshare of Apple and Samsung as they're already the 3rd biggest manufacturer in the world without the US so if they did get the lucrative US market too then that would be a big problem for Apple and Samsung. Another big factor here is that Huawei won't bow down to the US Government and give them the keys to their user data so they can monitor their citizens and they ain't happy about that.
Does the US Government, NSA etc etc apologise for spying on their users? I'm not American and I'm not Chinese so this trade war between the 2 that this is really about doesn't affect me personally. I can and do buy whatever phone I choose and right now that's a Huawei and as an outsider looking in I feel sorry for Huawei and I feel sorry for you guys being caught up in the propaganda and having less choices as consumers.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I don't see your comment as trying to start an argument. That may be a great solution. If US and Chinese government can come to agreement and abide by what they agree to. I think it would be better for the tech industry.

Rohn59

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
The problem is they've nothing to apologise for? Only the US has accused Huawei of this despite selling their phones without issue in hundreds of other countries. And I only mention Huawei because no other Chinese brand has been targeted in the same way. OnePlus are Chinese, had customers credit card details stolen a few months ago yet are announcing their next phone for US release soon without any of these accusations. Huawei are a threat to the marketshare of Apple and Samsung as they're already the 3rd biggest manufacturer in the world without the US so if they did get the lucrative US market too then that would be a big problem for Apple and Samsung. Another big factor here is that Huawei won't bow down to the US Government and give them the keys to their user data so they can monitor their citizens and they ain't happy about that.
Does the US Government, NSA etc etc apologise for spying on their users? I'm not American and I'm not Chinese so this trade war between the 2 that this is really about doesn't affect me personally. I can and do buy whatever phone I choose and right now that's a Huawei and as an outsider looking in I feel sorry for Huawei and I feel sorry for you guys being caught up in the propaganda and having less choices as consumers.
I was going to mention some of these very points but you beat me to it. Well said! As a US citizen I hate to say this but I am probably worried more about the NSA spying on my cell and pc use than I am the Chinese military. I'll probably pay for that, likely have a SEAL team zip lining though my windows at 3am. LOL

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I went into a bit of a rant there lol. It just irks me a bit how Huawei are being painted with the 'spy' brush so thickly. The US government investigated them thoroughly and admitted they found zero evidence that they were using phones and communication equipment to spy on the US but they shouldn't be trusted anyway. Ironically the only known hacking was carried out by the NSA themselves when they made a program called 'ShotGiant' that created backdoors into Huawei networking equipment to spy on their communications and try prove a link between Huawei and the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army. Which after 2 years came back with zero evidence of a link there either.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This irks me. I have a Mate 9 I'm very fond of and I tested an Honor 8 that I really liked. I want to, but won't get political here. I have strong feelings about whose feet the blame lies. Should Best Buy stop selling Huawei phones and/or they be blocked by my carrier I'll be most disappointed and annoyed.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
@dov1978
Great points. It may very well be propaganda for all we care. The current U.S government really does have a bone to pick with China, that's sure.😐

@cert15z
A feasible agreement would definitely be great. They need to talk things out and tell each other what's bothering them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza