No More Locked Bootloaders from HTC!!!! (Statement)

R3dM0nd

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Great news, does this mean the Evo 3d will be shipped unlocked.. or just future phones will be unlocked??

We don't know about the Evo 3D yet. Safe to say any Evo 3D's that have already been manufactured will have locked bootloaders, but that doesn't mean that they won't make a version with an unlocked bootloader in the future.

And this really is great news. After this announcement I have nothing but love and respect for HTC. My next phone will still probably be the net Nexus phone (which rumor says will be made by LG) but I will not hesitate to support HTC in the future. It's nice to see a company actually listen to it's customers. :D

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I am not jumping for joy here. If they are so quick to change their policy on locked bootloaders due to the customer's feedback, why would they put it on in the 1st place??? I am suspicious. :-\

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was just saying this yesterday. People were jumping to conclusions and didn't realize that its not HTC's call when it comes to this. Carriers have final say. With that said here's some new info.

I don't take credit for finding this. Oxn found it a moment ago.

Verizon Support: A Device With an Unlocked Bootloader Cannot Be Activated on Our Network

Sent from my Droid

You, Verizon, fail. All the more reason for me to switch carriers when the next Nexus phone comes out.

GNUsNotUnix

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

GNUsNotUnix

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I am still a little suspicious nonetheless. I will keep my fingers crossed that VZW will stand behind this tweet and allow unlocked devices on their network. Time will tell I guess...

Once again, congrats to HTC for making a smart decision and listening to their consumers. Props to them!