[Poll] Do you want a notch on your next phone?

Do you want a notch on your next phone?

• Total voters

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This is a poll for those on a browser. If you can't vote, add your comments below.

I did an informal survey at a party over the weekend of 14 "normals" (people that don't obsess about smartphones like all the nerds here do). I showed them what the notch would look like, explained that it is used to reduce bezels

12 of them gave a response that is basically, "who cares?" 1 said, "that's dumb" and 1 was like, "hey that's like the new iPhone".

So where do you guys land on the notch? Love it? Like it? Hate it? Don't care at all?

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a poll for those on a browser. If you can't vote, add your comments below.

I did an informal survey at a party over the weekend of 14 "normals" (people that don't obsess about smartphones like all the nerds here do). I showed them what the notch would look like, explained that it is used to reduce bezels

12 of them gave a response that is basically, "who cares?" 1 said, "that's dumb" and 1 was like, "hey that's like the new iPhone".

So where do you guys land on the notch? Love it? Like it? Hate it? Don't care at all?
Hell no. I think the notch is a horrible idea that needs to be stamped out now. What's so wrong with having the screen 4 or 5 millimetres shorter?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd prefer not to have it but if they got the really important things right like screen quality and camera performance I really wouldn't care as much. Still prefer a seamless screen experience though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The notch would give me extra screen. The area below the notch would be the screen if the notch didn't exist. Glass half-empty vs. glass half-full, IMO. Bring on the notches.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The notch would give me extra screen. The area below the notch would be the screen if the notch didn't exist. Glass half-empty vs. glass half-full, IMO.
That's basically my thought as well, although it's not that great for calculating screen area :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind the notch. I had a couple iPhone Xes. A notch would allow most of the info in the upper left and right corners to not be on the regular display. So if we had a notch with a slightly bigger screen we'd end up with more usable screen realestate if you see my meaning.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I prefer things symmetrical, so no notch for me. Unless it's something like the V20's secondary display that gives me additional functions without taking away from main screen real estate. I know info could be displayed on either side of the notch, but you're losing a lot of space for that area, limiting visibly of notifications.

IMHO this is just the manufacturers bowing to the, "The bezels are too dang big!" crowd. Now that they you their wish everyone is complaining about it.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The notch is manufacturers trying to get around saying bezel. Just make the notch a bezel and quit with the little corners of glass screwing up the full screen image.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't want a notch or on screen buttons either but out of the two on screen buttons is the least worst of the two as they can be hidden, unlike the notch!!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a notch or on screen buttons either but out of the two on screen buttons is the least worst of the two as they can be hidden, unlike the notch!!!
You can somewhat hide the notch by blacking out the areas around it and reserving it for system icons and notifications.

It's imperfect but it's a workaround

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
You can somewhat hide the notch by blacking out the areas around it and reserving it for system icons and notifications.

It's imperfect but it's a workaround

The point is that you shouldn't have to have a workaround for something that shouldn't be there anyway, either make it a full bezel or don't have it there at all.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The point is that you shouldn't have to have a workaround for something that shouldn't be there anyway, either make it a full bezel or don't have it there at all.
Reason is that manufacturers want to chase a higher screen:body ratio.

They had to put a notch to allow that until they can put the sensors and cameras in a way that a notch is not the necessary.

I dislike it but I will have to accept it at some point

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Reason is that manufacturers want to chase a higher screen:body ratio.

They had to put a notch to allow that until they can put the sensors and cameras in a way that a notch is not the necessary.

I dislike it but I will have to accept it at some point

The Galaxy S8 and S9 have thin bezels and still manage to fit an FFC and the microphone in and there's no notch there.

Of course there is a compromise here, thinner bezels at the bottom with on screen buttons.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy S8 and S9 have thin bezels and still manage to fit an FFC and the microphone in and there's no notch there.

Of course there is a compromise here, thinner bezels at the bottom with on screen buttons.
Well, they wanted a complete edge-to-edge design

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1