View Poll Results: Do you want a notch on your next phone?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love the notch

2 6.25%
  • No, I hate the notch

20 62.50%
  • I don't really care either way

6 18.75%
  • What's a notch?

4 12.50%
04-29-2018 12:40 PM
61 123
tools
    This is a poll for those on a browser. If you can't vote, add your comments below.

I did an informal survey at a party over the weekend of 14 "normals" (people that don't obsess about smartphones like all the nerds here do). I showed them what the notch would look like, explained that it is used to reduce bezels

12 of them gave a response that is basically, "who cares?" 1 said, "that's dumb" and 1 was like, "hey that's like the new iPhone".

So where do you guys land on the notch? Love it? Like it? Hate it? Don't care at all?
    04-23-2018 10:02 AM
    This is a poll for those on a browser. If you can't vote, add your comments below.

I did an informal survey at a party over the weekend of 14 "normals" (people that don't obsess about smartphones like all the nerds here do). I showed them what the notch would look like, explained that it is used to reduce bezels

12 of them gave a response that is basically, "who cares?" 1 said, "that's dumb" and 1 was like, "hey that's like the new iPhone".

So where do you guys land on the notch? Love it? Like it? Hate it? Don't care at all?
    Hell no. I think the notch is a horrible idea that needs to be stamped out now. What's so wrong with having the screen 4 or 5 millimetres shorter?
    EgretOwl2 likes this.
    04-23-2018 10:08 AM
    I'd prefer not to have it but if they got the really important things right like screen quality and camera performance I really wouldn't care as much. Still prefer a seamless screen experience though.
    04-23-2018 10:12 AM
    The forums in general seem to have a lot of people who really want a flat, 16:9, uninterrupted display.
    RaRa85 and belodion like this.
    04-23-2018 10:37 AM
    I won't mind if there's an option to "hide"
    EgretOwl2 likes this.
    04-23-2018 12:51 PM
    The notch would give me extra screen. The area below the notch would be the screen if the notch didn't exist. Glass half-empty vs. glass half-full, IMO. Bring on the notches.
    04-23-2018 12:57 PM
    The notch would give me extra screen. The area below the notch would be the screen if the notch didn't exist. Glass half-empty vs. glass half-full, IMO.
    That's basically my thought as well, although it's not that great for calculating screen area
    04-23-2018 01:48 PM
    I don't mind the notch. I had a couple iPhone Xes. A notch would allow most of the info in the upper left and right corners to not be on the regular display. So if we had a notch with a slightly bigger screen we'd end up with more usable screen realestate if you see my meaning.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    04-23-2018 02:49 PM
    I prefer things symmetrical, so no notch for me. Unless it's something like the V20's secondary display that gives me additional functions without taking away from main screen real estate. I know info could be displayed on either side of the notch, but you're losing a lot of space for that area, limiting visibly of notifications.

IMHO this is just the manufacturers bowing to the, "The bezels are too dang big!" crowd. Now that they you their wish everyone is complaining about it.
    04-23-2018 02:58 PM
    I don't like notches and will not buy a phone with a notch.
    Orion78 likes this.
    04-23-2018 04:38 PM
    The notch is manufacturers trying to get around saying bezel. Just make the notch a bezel and quit with the little corners of glass screwing up the full screen image.
    04-23-2018 06:47 PM
    I want a notch as much as I want diarrhea. I don't want it but if it happens, if happens.
    Inders99 likes this.
    04-23-2018 11:52 PM
    I want a notch as much as I want diarrhea. I don't want it but if it happens, if happens.
    Wow.
    04-24-2018 12:06 AM
    I don't want a notch or on screen buttons either but out of the two on screen buttons is the least worst of the two as they can be hidden, unlike the notch!!!
    04-24-2018 01:26 AM
    I don't want a notch or on screen buttons either but out of the two on screen buttons is the least worst of the two as they can be hidden, unlike the notch!!!
    You can somewhat hide the notch by blacking out the areas around it and reserving it for system icons and notifications.

It's imperfect but it's a workaround
    04-24-2018 01:27 AM
    You can somewhat hide the notch by blacking out the areas around it and reserving it for system icons and notifications.

It's imperfect but it's a workaround
    The point is that you shouldn't have to have a workaround for something that shouldn't be there anyway, either make it a full bezel or don't have it there at all.
    idon12no and Orion78 like this.
    04-24-2018 01:33 AM
    The point is that you shouldn't have to have a workaround for something that shouldn't be there anyway, either make it a full bezel or don't have it there at all.
    Reason is that manufacturers want to chase a higher screen:body ratio.

They had to put a notch to allow that until they can put the sensors and cameras in a way that a notch is not the necessary.

I dislike it but I will have to accept it at some point
    04-24-2018 01:35 AM
    Reason is that manufacturers want to chase a higher screen:body ratio.

They had to put a notch to allow that until they can put the sensors and cameras in a way that a notch is not the necessary.

I dislike it but I will have to accept it at some point
    The Galaxy S8 and S9 have thin bezels and still manage to fit an FFC and the microphone in and there's no notch there.

Of course there is a compromise here, thinner bezels at the bottom with on screen buttons.
    04-24-2018 01:37 AM
    The Galaxy S8 and S9 have thin bezels and still manage to fit an FFC and the microphone in and there's no notch there.

Of course there is a compromise here, thinner bezels at the bottom with on screen buttons.
    Well, they wanted a complete edge-to-edge design
    04-24-2018 01:41 AM
    Yes, I want a notch on my next phone, and when I say Yes, I do of course mean No.
    hallux and idon12no like this.
    04-24-2018 05:34 AM
    I've come to love on screen buttons, especially how LG implements them. I can customize which order they are in, and add/remove some. I personally have it set up with five buttons, the extra two being a notification pull down and their Q-slide floating apps.
    idon12no likes this.
    04-24-2018 06:46 AM
    No. I'm perfectly okay with bezels. I need someplace to put my thumbs when viewing video.
    04-24-2018 07:44 AM
    Hell...and...no. I would happily have a small band at the top to keep it symmetrical. Also, I hate curved glass screens, they serve no purpose and make cases and screen protectors less effective.
    belodion and idon12no like this.
    04-24-2018 07:55 AM
    l've got the P20 Pro and I love how notifications and icons sit either side of the notch.
    04-24-2018 07:58 AM
    I've come to love on screen buttons, especially how LG implements them. I can customize which order they are in, and add/remove some. I personally have it set up with five buttons, the extra two being a notification pull down and their Q-slide floating apps.
    Yet if an app crashes you have no buttons available to try and get out of it either that or the buttons lock up and prevent you from using them. That's the exact reason why I don't like on screen buttons, not only that but there's the risk on screen burn in if the screen is left on.
    04-24-2018 08:30 AM
61 123